Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Home ground Thread

(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Yeah putting it all together I am probably thinking 20k at Commbank and 30k for the absolute premier games is way better than Accor. Screw the eels. If they are have the guts to kill off LO and not allow members to hide in the inner west then it could work

I don't think members "hide" in the inner west as you put it, most memberships would be dual or multi venues. Perhaps "annoy" members with killing off LO might be more appropriate.

When I was talking to the membership department last year a number of seats in the latchem stand at LO are with interstate members who have kept seats since 2000 and don't even get to all games they sell tickets back to club to re sale. 

Not sure on trying to dig in to Eels territory don't know if it will work. However we dress up this pig up it is still a stadium in Parramatta ! 

with Accor it is in homebush so nobody's area really. 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @garry

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Hypothetic question after listening to how Richo talks about choosing the most lucrative stadium. Is there a scenario where the club plays 10+ games at Commbank? Reasonable train and car access from the southwest (equal to Accor at least), future metro from inner west direct to stadium, massive corporate facilities. Obvious criticisms will be that it didn’t work in the 90s for the Sydney Tigers or really for the WT the last few years (one of the 6 stadiums we would play at each year) but what if we played ALL our games there and there was no other option to be a member at LO or CSS? Would the state government offer a sweet heart deal to get another permanent resident at the ground? Could that work?

commbank ground I think is fine aper from the parramatta leagues club right next door, it kind of never feels like home.

two Tennants in there however I think the state government would be keen on a game there every week so I'm sure a deal would be just as good as Accor

From a bias perspective I live 10 minutes from commbank but if could choose one it would be Accor 

I think that is an easy fix, develop a partnership with club Parramatta. Promote that as the place to go for home games, put on events that encourage people to attend that club instead.

attending parramatta leagues club Mate is that what you mean? no from me I can't see the supporters going for that at all. 

it was good at parramatta when  you guys could do the ambush events in that bar however before games. 

Accor has that more neutral feel about it though, that you.could take it over type of thing 

No club Parramatta is the old RSL, down the road from the stadium.

ahh i get you club parramatta, yeah thst might work. They are owned by Castle Hill RSL I am a member there and that gives you membership at club parramatta. If that is where we go then hope the club.is looking at something like that 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Yeah putting it all together I am probably thinking 20k at Commbank and 30k for the absolute premier games is way better than Accor. Screw the eels. If they are have the guts to kill off LO and not allow members to hide in the inner west then it could work

I don't think members "hide" in the inner west as you put it, most memberships would be dual or multi venues. Perhaps "annoy" members with killing off LO might be more appropriate.

When I was talking to the membership department last year a number of seats in the latchem stand at LO are with interstate members who have kept seats since 2000 and don't even get to all games they sell tickets back to club to re sale. 

Not sure on trying to dig in to Eels territory don't know if it will work. However we dress up this pig up it is still a stadium in Parramatta ! 

yes any new member at LO has to sit in front of the hill with a speaker blaring at 110 decibels in your face.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

yes any new member at LO has to sit in front of the hill with a speaker blaring at 110 decibels in your face.

All members at Commbank get to look into the sun 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

as does every new member at LO!

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

so let's punish all existing members by moving from LO and all members can collectively look into the sun together at day games at Commbank. Great...

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

so let's punish all existing members by moving from LO and all members can collectively look into the sun together at day games at Commbank. Great...

yes that is the maths. We have 7,000 members and every incremental member at LO sits without cover, looking into the sun without an amenity. It is brutal maths.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

yes that is the maths. We have 7,000 members and every incremental member at LO sits without cover, looking into the sun without an amenity. It is brutal maths.

curious have you always been a LO member or previously just a commbank and CSS member?

as given we had a few members sign up when the old regime left and at that point there would have been space on that latchem side.

I was lucky 2 years ago to add my daughter to the seat next to me but rang up and got it done back in 2023 there were seats in latchem stand for member son the halfway

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

@jedi-tiger I grew up going to LO with my parents. Spent a lot of time overseas but on return joined at Commbank for my young family. Transferred my membership to LO in 2023 and could only get under the hill at around the 30m line for a group of 5 people. I get that those who have seats in the Latchem Robinson or the concourse in front of it love it to death but it is a death sentence for this club. It prohibits any growth and discourages families to bring the next generation of tigers to the games.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @frullens

Posted by: @tiger5150

With respect, the averages you quote at Accor and SFS are at best meaningless and IMO actually go  against your argument.

The Accor averages include the "glory years" of 2005 - 2010 and more importantly include 7 "easter Monday" games against Parra with >30K crowds as a result of the Easter Show Crowds so not exactly representative.

Worse is the SFS crowds

which were not only during our "glory years" but also included semi finals. For SFS crowds to only be 6K more than LO average and only slightly more than LO max is telling. If we played at SFS now, the numbers would be the same as Commbank. This is NOT an outlier. This is the state of the club.

The averages quoted are for regular home games.

They are separate to the 4 finals games at SFS where we averaged 34.5k and the 4 finals games at Accor where we average 56.5k

Understood

In respect to Easter monday - exactly you can't play big derby games at LO and CSS and get any more than their sub 20k capacities.

Agreed, but you cant use that as an argument for a ground. It wouldnt matter where you play that game, you will draw that crowd...NOT because it is at that ground. Commbank gets the same crowd.

A good admin would be should be aiming for at least 4 or 5 big event derby games (Penrith, parra, Bulldogs, Dragons, souths) a year which pull 30k plus - irrespective of form.

Agreed.....so where do you play these games? Why did you quote these averages?

In respect of 'glory days'- if we are going to plan our club around not making finals - then I'm done.

You yourself said that you thought the Commbank averages were an "outlier". They are not an outlier. They are exactly what the crwods would be if we played at Accor or SFS in fact personally I think they would be less at Accor. We suck and less people want to pay their hard earned to watch us suck than they did in the "glory days". Its a simple fact and comparing crowds at any ground in 2005, 2010 or 2011 against current days is pointless. This is my point.

We have made the finals 3 times in 25 years. We should be aiming to reverse that for our next 25. 

We should be aiming to become a big club that expects to make the finals every year.

Toally agree, all Im saying is posting the averages of grounds, particularly grounds we havent played at since 2013 is pointless. Its as valid as me saying that in 2013 Tigers were flogged by Cronulla at SFS in front of 9K, in 2024 we pumped Cronulla at LOin front of 16K therefore we should move all our games to LO (which is a ridiculous argument).

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

I think there is truth in the statement that if we suck our crowds will be better at LO.CSS than at Accor/commbank. Equally it is true I think to say if we are successful that we will quickly outgrow our legacy stadiums. NRL crowds are up significantly this year, infact if there are 27k people at today’s game then it will be the highest attended round in NRL history. 

richo’s ambition is 30k members, it would be crazy to choose a sub for 20k stadium if that’s his ambition. He hasn’t shown particular commitment to CSS (he has said you put the academy there and you look after the community like south’s has done). He has ruled out LO without significant investment so that only leave Allianz, Accor or Commbank. All compromised so it’s the least worst option that we need to choose. Personally I think Allianz gets much too little discussion but it would seem farsical to choose Accor. So perhaps Commbank is in the lead given we have played there in recent years so it must have ticked a few boxes 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Posted by: @mike

Posted by: @mercy-rule

I don't get the issue with using Accor as a replacement for LO. I'd prefer it to other options.

I keep reading about the lack of "atmosphere" there. I don't buy that argument. Have a winning team and the fans will create the atmosphere. By all means play some games at CSS with a hope to make that the home ground in the years ahead but, by comparison to what Accor offers right now in terms of standard of facilities, ease of transport etc, CSS is light years behind. 

The place is dead unless you are pushing close to 40k

Rubbish. I’ve been there when just a dozen blokes behind the goal posts has the place rocking. It’s up to the crowd, not the stadium. 

It's not rubbish mate, the place is good for big event games, should not be used at all for events under 30000. A 20000 crowd in a 70 000+ stadium is quite simply laughable and makes the game look second rate. 

If you cannot half fill a stadium then you have no right playing there.

It’s absolutely rubbish. Doesn’t matter if you fill the stadium or not it’s the crowd that is there that sets the atmosphere. We have every right to be there regardless of the number of attendees. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Yeah having 50000 empty seats makes the game look great and makes no difference to the atmosphere, to state otherwise is a dishonest argument.

You can say that you don't care about empty seats and the reduction in atmosphere, but to deny it's a factor ruins your argument.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Yeah having 50000 empty seats makes the game look great and makes no difference to the atmosphere, to state otherwise is a dishonest argument.

You can say that you don't care about empty seats and the reduction in atmosphere, but to deny it's a factor ruins your argument.

There is no reduction in atmosphere, that’s your bias. The place has great atmosphere with a buzzing crowd. Usually when we are winning, it’s quiet when we are not, just like every other ground we play at. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @mike

There is no reduction in atmosphere, that’s your bias. The place has great atmosphere with a buzzing crowd. Usually when we are winning, it’s quiet when we are not, just like every other ground we play at. 

Yeah 16000 at Accor has just as good an atmosphere as LO with 16000.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 124 / 134
Share: