Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

jirskyr
(@jirskyr)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @dirty-reds

The main thing Souths are a good example of is the importance of strong ownership. They were an absolute shambles until Crowe and co took over, and from there they've grown and grown and are basically the Roosters mk ii nowadays. 

You could even say "Hollywood ownership". It's one thing to have a private owner with some money to tip in and a good sense of direction, it's another thing entirely when they are a world-famous celebrity. Opens lots of doors and makes heads turn when he invites prospective marquee players up to Nana Glen to be wined and dined.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@jirskyr yea maybe . But that doesn’t really explain the fact the same thing happened when Nick politis got power in the 90s at easts , how the broncos when they had weak leadership went to the bottom of the table at a rate of knots , culminating in thier sacking . Why the storm are the poster child of strong leadership , to the point that if it wasn’t for a whistleblower , the sombrero would have been what we talked about in reference to Melbourne as much as the roosters . 
Sure  it’s cheating , but it was still a well run club to do it so well . 
Manly and the sharks are the only 2 albatross clubs that have fallen from bad management over and over again , to still always be relatively strong . 
my theory on this is simple geography. It’s far easier to lure someone with the promise of a 5 min drive to work , and beach lifestyle , than just about anything else. 
Thisnis why the dolphins will be a juggernaut IMO. Close enough to Brisbane to be in a city , far enough away to completely be removed from all the bullshit that city life brings , traffic , parking, noise etc .

Mike and 851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @jirskyr

Posted by: @dirty-reds

The main thing Souths are a good example of is the importance of strong ownership. They were an absolute shambles until Crowe and co took over, and from there they've grown and grown and are basically the Roosters mk ii nowadays. 

You could even say "Hollywood ownership". It's one thing to have a private owner with some money to tip in and a good sense of direction, it's another thing entirely when they are a world-famous celebrity. Opens lots of doors and makes heads turn when he invites prospective marquee players up to Nana Glen to be wined and dined.

What?? More than a slap on the pokies at Wests Ashfield? 😆 

ReplyQuote
(@doug-heffernan)

Posted by: @lestronge

@jirskyr yea maybe . But that doesn’t really explain the fact the same thing happened when Nick politis got power in the 90s at easts , how the broncos when they had weak leadership went to the bottom of the table at a rate of knots , culminating in thier sacking . Why the storm are the poster child of strong leadership , to the point that if it wasn’t for a whistleblower , the sombrero would have been what we talked about in reference to Melbourne as much as the roosters . 
Sure  it’s cheating , but it was still a well run club to do it so well . 
Manly and the sharks are the only 2 albatross clubs that have fallen from bad management over and over again , to still always be relatively strong . 
my theory on this is simple geography. It’s far easier to lure someone with the promise of a 5 min drive to work , and beach lifestyle , than just about anything else. 
Thisnis why the dolphins will be a juggernaut IMO. Close enough to Brisbane to be in a city , far enough away to completely be removed from all the bullshit that city life brings , traffic , parking, noise etc .

I agree with this. I don't think Crowe being a celebrity would have any more influence then a billionaire owner who would have 2 or 3 properties like Crowe to wine and dine.

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Anyway, regarding our halves for next year I’m not really sure what to think but I’m happy at this stage to see something different. 

Sullivan: he looks sharp in the red zone but I haven’t seen too much of him playing in structure. Not sure what his kicking game is like but from memory he had some ok short kicks against us. The video someone posted really showed an interesting character that wasn’t obvious from his tattoos and dodgy moustache ie he doesn’t drink etc. He hasn’t had a clear run at the Dragons and they have had cultural issues so maybe at 21 he is ready to start again and focus on footy. His hamstring injuries a bit of a concern.

Fainu: from the highlights I’ve seen he looks to be better at structure, has speed but what stands out looks to be his try assists (short balls etc). We haven’t had a player that can read a defence and make a eyes up decision around how to attack (even within the structure) for over a decade so I’m very keen to see if he ends up a 6 or a 7. He has existing combinations with his brother and with Feledy so I’m also very keen to see him make players around him better. It’s criminal how we have used Papalli this year and I hope someone like Fainu can put him into gaps rather than Brooks just dumping it out to him for a hit up.

sezer: have no idea how he will go in NRL again. A mature half who has had success so hopefully he can provide some ballast and capitalise on the good yardage work we are achieving now. 

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

Not to change the subject , but is Tim sheens still the coach ? 
He’s not been sighted I thought at concord all week . 

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@tigertownsfs brooksy and his no look short ball isn’t fooling anyone these days , I actually think it telegraphs it more than conceals it . Instead of looking like he’s not going to throw it , he should be looking like he is , then play the block over and over until the defence slides off the edge runner. When that happens then hit that runner IMO.
It seems to be way more effective , because the natural inclination of the defence is to slide .
It also protects the runner as well , because he doesn’t get smashed as often .

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Would be in name only. Tbh I doubt sheens has has done much coaching over the past month.

ReplyQuote
LoganR21
(@loganr21)

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Wooden spoon paradise: Tigers CEO spotted in iconic NZ holiday destination as Concord crumbles

James Hooper from Fox Sports

August 17th, 2023 1:57 pm

When the going gets tough in Tiger Town, the tough get going … to picturesque Waiheke Island in New Zealand.

Spotted at one of New Zealand’s most idyllic holiday destinations last week was none other than the Tales from Tiger Town star otherwise known as amateur hour CEO Justin Pascoe.

Perhaps Pascoe was canvassing new cabinets to display back-to-back wooden spoons at the club’s Concord Centre of Excellence accumulated under his fearless stewardship.

It’s a rare sighting of the Tigers alleged trump who’s been doing his best to keep a low profile since being spotted in the tight polo shirt and sprayed-on tracksuit pants kicking a ball around on Suncorp Stadium back in round five.

Hopefully Pascoe could find enough time to ponder Tim Sheens’ agent telephoning the club to suggest it might be best if the four-time premiership-winner stepped down from being the Wests Tigers head coach and director of football.

In the fair dinkum department we’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – Jack Gibson said winning starts Monday and winning starts in the front office.

With a front office like this is it any wonder the Tigers are continually chasing their own tale around in circles?

Only a 40-minute ferry ride from Auckland, we hope Pascoe had time to sample some of the finest Sauvignon Blancs the Island has to offer before making the three-hour trip to Hamilton to watch the Tigers slip to a 10thstraight loss last Saturday.

The Tigers need to win one of their last three games against the Dolphins, Roosters and Manly to avoid their worst ever season on record in the history of the club.

Can’t wait for Pascoe’s all-encompassing end-of-season internal review designed to end the shambles.

Under Pascoe’s watch the Tigers have now finished 9th, 14th, 9th, 9th, 11, 13th, last and the bookies have now got them into $1.01 for back-to-back spoons.

Talk about overseeing a road to nowhere.

The late, great champion Balmain Tigers supporter Laurie Nicholls was always quick with a one-line rhyme about the Tigers playing roster.

“Benny Elias says come and try us”, “Steve Roach teaches them not to boast”, “Wayne Pearce he’s so fierce”, “Sound the alarm it’s Allan McMahon”, “Gary Jack the world’s best back”.

If Nicholls was still here to witness the sad decline of a once-proud club we can only wonder what the Tigers icon might say today.

With another season hurtling around the S-bend perhaps it’s time to “Put Pascoe in the brascoe”.

3 hour trip from Auckland to Hamilton…. Don’t think so!!

Is he tasting more wines on that trip?

Its an hour and a half tops 😅😂

Watch out for the bergs

ReplyQuote
LoganR21
(@loganr21)

Would be in name only. Tbh I doubt sheens has has done much coaching over the past month.

I’d go a step further and say a decade. Head coaching in saying.

Watch out for the bergs

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

@tigertownsfs brooksy and his no look short ball isn’t fooling anyone these days , I actually think it telegraphs it more than conceals it . Instead of looking like he’s not going to throw it , he should be looking like he is , then play the block over and over until the defence slides off the edge runner. When that happens then hit that runner IMO.
It seems to be way more effective , because the natural inclination of the defence is to slide .
It also protects the runner as well , because he doesn’t get smashed as often .

100%. like everything with brooks, it is pre planned rather than a decision over what will work

ReplyQuote
(@851)
Junior Pathways

We have looked not bad the last month, poor options, handling and refereeing decisions has cost us, maybe next year will not be so bad with new halves

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Just watched the Benji press conference. He’s an impressive guy. I hope we can start the next season ok and we he can bring about the attitude change we need in this club

ReplyQuote
CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I know a lot won't feel the same but I'm actually really excited by Benji taking over the role. It is such a hail Mary. It will probably be a disaster or we are watching the start of the content for a documentary series...but not Tales From Tigertown

851 and hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)

Posted by: @canberratiger

I know a lot won't feel the same but I'm actually really excited by Benji taking over the role. It is such a hail Mary. It will probably be a disaster or we are watching the start of the content for a documentary series...but not Tales From Tigertown

• It's very much like my EPL team Spurs. They signed a few high-profile managers and it didn't work out, they just couldn't get results from the players.

The alternative therefore is to try something left-field and it might reboot the joint. Spurs have taken this risk with Ange Postecoglu.

There is one major diff however that Big Ange actually has a lot of experience,  even if he was not well known in Europe before he managed Celtic.

This post was modified 9 months ago by jirskyr

ReplyQuote
Page 815 / 942
Share: