Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@davey-farrell)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

@hsvjones totally agree HSV..green shoots coming through, as u said just need a 6 or 7

851 and hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
(@super-coach)
Junior Pathways

@hsvjones  mate I have been looking at the big picture for ten years and nothing changes. I refuse to get optimistic about our club because they keep shooting themself in the foot. Yes there has been some positives this season but will it translate into success next year…I doubt it

851 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Wonder if we end up with townsend if he want to cone back to Sydney and Brooks end sup at cowboys apparently that it was buzz seems to thinks he will land at. If he does I doubt they keep townsend. 

Townsend paired with a Schuster may work 

851 and hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @helmesy

What I don’t understand is how no one seems to be able to sell the fans a real vision or at least keep us somewhat in the loop in regards to why we should stay invested.

One of my biggest criticisms of the club over the past 10 years or so is is the lack of vision. I don’t think anyone in the leadership has any idea if what type of club we want to be. 

Joel Helmes, 851 and Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @jirskyr

Posted by: @tiger5150

Three weeks ago, this club was literally on the precipice of a new dawn. This club was starting to do what it was saying, walking its walk. Then Fulton, then Joffa, the Talau/Blore talk, now Brooks. Pointless self destruction. IMO the earth is probably already scorched. Unless the club pulls an absolute rabbit out of a hat now, I actually fear that they have killed it. I dont trust anyone at the club to be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat other than Sheens and it appears he is being neutered.

You really believe that, that the team that lost 7 matches in a row, managed to win 3 in 4 weeks was on the precipice of a new dawn?

A good tough win over Penrith, very nearly run down by Dragons in the last minute, didn't post a single point against Souths then flogged a hapless Cowboys. That team was entering a new dawn? Because Joffa was on his way out before the Cowboys game and Fulton was already working for several weeks prior to that; Blore hadn't played since the Parramatta game Rd 6.

I've seen this movie before, the one where Tigers lose a bunch in a row, then find form for a month - it's called "Every Wests Tigers Season Ever".

Short answer, yes. You cant see the difference in this team compared to last 4 years? Difference in our pack? Difference int he way we march down field? Difference in our back three and outside backs?

2023 compared to other seasons? No, can't see much difference at all. Forwards go OK, backs are thin, halves don't develop the match, team generally wilts under pressure, defence is brittle, team can only sustain their form for a few weeks at a time.

The team has 3 wins 10 losses, I can't begin to understand why anyone would be more optimistic about this year than previous years. 

Joel Helmes and 851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/how-tigers-rivals-have-reacted-to-brooks-being-on-open-market-20230612-p5dfxx.html

Daine Laurie is the preferred No.6 option, but he was knocked out playing reserve grade on Sunday and will need to pass concussion protocols in time for Saturday’s match against Melbourne Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

To’a said Sheens had floated the idea of him training at five-eighth next pre-season, which was later on Monday confirmed by the coach himself.

The Tigers will also need to get by without Origin hooker Api Koroisau, who will be sidelined up to two months with a broken jaw.

“‘Sheensy’ pulled me in a couple of weeks ago about getting a pre-season there next year, and I’ve been thinking about that lately,” said To’a, who has been excellent at right centre, and even got one over Queensland representative Valentine Holmes last month.

“He said because I can also play fullback, it’s pretty much the same as playing at No.6. I like getting my hands on the ball more, so we’ll see what happens.”

As for the Brooks news, To’a said: “Nothing was mentioned by him. I’d love to see him stay and finish his career here. But things don’t always go your way. And if he needs a fresh start, that’s what he needs. He’s got to do what makes him happy.”

Boom rookie fullback Jahream Bula did not train on Monday, but was being rested and is not in doubt for Saturday.

ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @jirskyr

just asking why the Fulton thing was bad. The reports about not informing Sheens - you can't bank that, that's just media scandal-mongering. Of course it's possible they didn't tell Sheens; it's just as possible they did tell him. It's possible they thought Sheens would try and block the move or get more annoyed. I don't know, I generally don't waste time speculating or commenting on hearsay, because it's pointless. If it makes you feel annoyed, ok, but there's no confirmation that any of it is actually true.

I actually know a lot of CEOs and Chairs but I do my research.

I never said I think they are doing a good job, I just asked why the Weedler article rankled with you. Weedler articles especially, I never assume them to be accurate.

Lee literally was quoted as saying they didn’t inform him.

Actually Lee didn't say that precisely, he said the decision "was taken to deal with the matter at board level with our CEO". I don't believe there's a specific quote that says Sheens wasn't informed? The SMH interprets these comments that Sheens was "not consulted".

Of course it makes sense to me that you would involve the Head Coach in hiring recruiters, but I don't know anything at all about managing an NRL club and it actually seems these days that clubs are keeping the Coaching and Recruitment teams at arm's length, perhaps to protect clubs from win-all-costs coaches that murder long-term recruitment in search of short-term gains.

But to back up, what I was asking originally was why the Weedler article in particular got you annoyed. The article is attempting to make a case for the rumour that Sheens might not last 2 years, and the rationale they provide is because Sheens was not involved in the Fulton acquisition and now Warren McD has decided to quit. That's the sum total of the argument. And why is this bad precisely? Was it mandatory to involve Sheens in signing the new Head of Recruitment, and would involving him have avoided the fallout for Warren McD? 

I mean you have Tigers5150 telling me that these actions are potentially torpedoing a "new dawn" for a team that's won 3 games all season. That seems to me to be reaching for an off-field explanation for pretty clear on-field deficiencies.

I should probably just not bother commenting, because I really don't care what goes on behind closed doors at Tigers - it's all opaque and speculation and meaningless to me. The only thing that interests me is trying to understand why other people invest / emotionally react to the reported internal politics of the club. I don't think we ever know enough about what's going on to really draw any firm conclusions. 

This post was modified 11 months ago by jirskyr

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @hsvjones

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Depressing watching the Dogs who were at least as big a basket case as us and they have recruited Burton, Oaluapu, Chriton, JAC. Bula literally fell into our lap, wasn’t recruited or developed as a junior. 

maybe sheens should never have moved to coaching. Just stayed GM and Benji goes straight to first grade coach. He probably maintains control of the football team if he does that. Going in to coaching and the factions get to point at the scoreboard.

For all the dogs have done they are only 2 points above us but double the for/against (-59 to -116) 

They are two wins ahead of us....that is a long way. I can t imagine where our next two wins are coming from.

Posted by: @hsvjones

If we have a look at the big picture, it's not as bad as most think. 

We have an excellent forward pack now and some excellent backups, We have a top line Fullback, Tupou and Ta'o  in the backs and all we need to be a top 8 team is a 6/7..  As a half this team has got to be appealing but we will need to pay overs I think to get a top line one.  

We have been trying for 4 years to get one. What is going to change to make it happen?

ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)

Posted by: @eastiemagpie

Posted by: @helmesy

What I don’t understand is how no one seems to be able to sell the fans a real vision or at least keep us somewhat in the loop in regards to why we should stay invested.

One of my biggest criticisms of the club over the past 10 years or so is is the lack of vision. I don’t think anyone in the leadership has any idea if what type of club we want to be. 

I disagree. The current leadership rabble wants the club to be a club that employs them. That's their priority. There can't be any merit-based or performance-based reason, as there isn't any. 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Lee is a strange cat:

Hagipantelis also responded to reports that head coach Tim Sheens would not see out the remainder of his contract at the club. 

Hagipantelis completely denied the rumours and clarified that the Tigers were determined to have Sheens stay at the club. 

“I don’t know where this narrative is coming from or who is pushing it,” he continued. 

“There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and Tim Sheens coaching the Wests Tigers in 2023 and 2024. 

“Everyone is absolutely committed and passionate about the (Benji) transition in a few years.” 

851 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Mole:

REAL REASON BROOKS REJECTED TIGERS

So why did Luke Brooks reject the Tigers' offer of a three-year contract extension that would have almost certainly seen him finish his career a one-club man?

The truth is Brooks virtually had no option as the Tigers' offer was less than half the money he is currently on.

Brooks is on a $1.15m a season deal - money that is too high for the way he has been playing - and the Tigers offer was more around $550,000 a year.

The much-maligned halfback will now test the market but rival clubs won't offer him much more than the Tigers have despite his improved form in recent weeks.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Mole:

So why did Luke Brooks reject the Tigers' offer of a three-year contract extension that would have almost certainly seen him finish his career a one-club man?

The truth is Brooks virtually had no option as the Tigers' offer was less than half the money he is currently on.

Brooks is on a $1.15m a season deal - money that is too high for the way he has been playing - and the Tigers offer was more around $550,000 a year.

The much-maligned halfback will now test the market but rival clubs won't offer him much more than the Tigers have despite his improved form in recent weeks.

if you are Brooks and you have to take 550k you may as well try and take it at a club that might play semi finals in the next 2 years. Big difference taking 550k at Tigers or 550k at Roosters as an example

ReplyQuote
Tiger_Alex
(@tiger_alex)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Mole:

if you are Brooks and you have to take 550k you may as well try and take it at a club that might play semi finals in the next 2 years. Big difference taking 550k at Tigers or 550k at Roosters as an example

Jedi I'm going to have to call BS on that one... our $$$ are just as good as anyone. We have to stop this narrative.

The fact would be he got his nose out of joint because the offer was half of what he is on currently. I would say finishing a career as a 1-club player would be beneficial after football life also.

Personally, I am happy the club made a fair market value offer to Brooks and am a little disappointed that he has snubbed his nose at it. Because even through some of the muck and the criticism from fans and media alike... the club has always backed Brooks and I personally believe there is an element of him owing the club.

Just my humble opinion.

dastigers, Dirty Reds, hsvjones and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

It’s hard to see him being offered significantly more money at a strong club (by definition they would already have a strong halves combination) so he may choose to join another struggling club for slightly more money but it’s not obvious that any club would see him being the solution to their problems. I can see him playing a supporting role somewhere at the right price (for example the eels have been looking for some X factor so he could play a role at 14) but his options in Sydney seem pretty limited. It’s possible we get to the end of the season and he re signs. At least if that happened we would owe him nothing  so playing someone else ahead of him would be ok.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)

Posted by: @tiger_alex

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Mole:

Jedi I'm going to have to call BS on that one... our $$$ are just as good as anyone. We have to stop this narrative.

The fact would be he got his nose out of joint because the offer was half of what he is on currently. I would say finishing a career as a 1-club player would be beneficial after football life also.

Personally, I am happy the club made a fair market value offer to Brooks and am a little disappointed that he has snubbed his nose at it. Because even through some of the muck and the criticism from fans and media alike... the club has always backed Brooks and I personally believe there is an element of him owing the club.

Just my humble opinion.

Well it's also BS because Brooks is widely reported to be on a back-ended deal. So if you judge his contact solely by the value of the final payment, then yes the reported new deal is half of that. But the snippet doesn't say anything about the average of his previous deal, nor the going rate / market value for halfbacks of his ability. 

And then the article says "but rival clubs won't offer him much more"! Ha, then what the hell are they trying to say, that Brooks was forced to leave Tigers because they are offering him a large pay cut, and that he also wouldn't get better money anywhere else? OMG

Skippa13 and Forever 9th reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 692 / 934
Share: