Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

@tiger5150 I think everyone is happy with the Fulton appointment

FWIW Im not necessarily happy with the Fulton appointment. For all the talk about the Blacktown youth pipeline, the Sea Eagles are coming last or second last in HM, SG Ball & Flegg. I am however with the McDonnell demotion because it means management has seen an issue and acted. We dont know the intimate details but on the surface of it I havent seen any evidence that McDonnell has handled recruitment negotiations well and definitely not with Moses. For we know they might have some inside information that it wasnt handled well and they have acted.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Well I couldn’t tell you the name of another NRL club chairman except Nick Politis and he is pretty much never quoted in the paper. so yes I think it’s an issue that our chairman is doing this.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

@tiger5150 How does it benefit the club for Lee to talk to the media about this? Re-read his comments and point out one thing that is helpful. He made those comments not for the good of club, but for his ego. Lee always puts Lee first. And regardless of any potential cliques in the club, you don't keep your coaching staff in the dark about this stuff. Sheens isn't a rookie coach, and regardless of how he has performed this season he deserves more respect than that. Just bush league rubbish.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

@tiger5150 How does it benefit the club for Lee to talk to the media about this? Re-read his comments and point out one thing that is helpful.

I agree, it doesnt and Im not arguing that it does. IMO Lee shouldnt have that weekly spot on SEN because they are always going to ask these questions. IMO He should say all Tigers questions are off limits.

IMO you are missing a much bigger problem in this case.

He made those comments not for the good of club, but for his ego. Lee always puts Lee first.

No he didn't. He made those comments in response to a question from media who have been tipped off about something that only someone in Sheens inner circle would know and THAT is a  much bigger problem. Do you guys not remember the end of Sheens days at his last time he was here?

And regardless of any potential cliques in the club, you don't keep your coaching staff in the dark about this stuff. Sheens isn't a rookie coach, and regardless of how he has performed this season he deserves more respect than that. Just bush league rubbish.

Unless the clique is the problem?

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

@tiger5150 But his comments don't help us at all. If he was acting purely in the best interests of the club, he'd say nothing. That's my point. I understand there are other issues at play re: leaking etc, but my grievance here is purely that his commentary does us no favours, and my opinion is he adores the limelight. Just look at the Tommy Raudonikis day.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

Being the recruitment manger for first grade is a weird role. You’d imagine that any external players being looked at for first grade would be chosen by the coach. 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

Being the recruitment manger for first grade is a weird role. You’d imagine that any external players being looked at for first grade would be chosen by the coach. 

and then recruited by the recruitment manager. In the Moses case, it was clear that Sheens and the club wanted Moses, but if the article is to be believed (and we all believe the negative parts, so we have to take the whole as true) McDonnell was solely left to negotiate the deal and it clearly didnt work and he stayed at Parra for less money and we still dont have a half. IMO there is enough superficial evidence that change is warranted.

851, Rex2ce, The Last Ronin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@tiger5150 the decisions fine . Even if it was all soo sudden and sheens wasn’t consulted . Also fine . 
But going into the media and just dribbling about how great you are that you beat  half the nrl yo this recruitment genius ,is dogshit IMO. 
If this is Pascoes idea , then I can finally see why everyone wants the guy gone  .

We finally have stability. And whilst the wins arnt there , the play and decisions around who plays nrl , and when ,have been inspired , and ultimately proven true . This means that the coaching staff and club feel comfortable enough to take risks But no , let’s just hire some supposed guru , who’s also the son of the Fulton family who have had a falling out with his last club . This type of stuff is why we just will never learn . 
It’s absolutely crazy , how this club just can’t seem to get at board and CEO level guys who arnt the worlds biggest narcissists. I get that most of the world Exco are sociopaths but god hell , just can we get one person with power who actually wants the club to succeed more than they want themself too. 
This stuff does my head in !!! 

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I've no issue with shifting McDonnell around. His hire was an error in itself in that he's never really covered himself in glory over the years in that role (or similar roles), and we basically pulled him back into the industry from real estate which tells its own story. No idea what happened with Moses other than what the article states, but I imagine we'll hear a bit more of it as time goes on. 

I don't understand why we would blindside Sheens though - it's a massive slap in the face for a guy to which we've basically given the keys of the club. It being leaked is a direct consequence of that action. 

We could have owned the story from the beginning - briefed the media as to what we wanted the narrative to be. But instead it's the normal reactive nonsense and LH getting verbose and defensive in the SMH. 

Just a few small things adding up to a bit of a mess, and it's a good example of the poor leadership at the club. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

But also, it's interesting if its limited to Top 30 only - he's recruiting say 2-5 players a year )less if he's doing his job right) - that's not much for a full-time role.

But if he lands us a class 7 - he has done his job!

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Marshall-King is managed by Mario Tartak who is closely aligned with Fulton so perhaps there is more to the story than face value ie Benji doesn’t rate McDonnel, who was reponsible for the Moses negotiation and Benji moves to replace him to build the roster he wants. sheens can’t knife his mate so he is either kept out of it or tries to retain plausible deniability .

we are 6 months from the Nov 1 deadline to start signing players for Benji’s first year as coach. Not crazy to move to make sure you have the right recruitment manager in place before then. 

This post was modified 1 year ago by TigerTownSFS

851, Joel Helmes and Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

The decision to not consult Sheens is fine as he is no longer Head of Football as far as I know anyway. This appointment is providing additional resources to the football department. I’m ok with it.

851 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kenny4517)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @kenny4517

We just seem to go from one bloody drama to another. 

Explain to me how replacing someone who on the face of it is seriously underperforming with someone with some runs on the board, is a drama.

No drama about the signing of Scott, but Lee should stay out of the papers which other chairman of any board/ company are in the papers making statements, these matters should be keep in house and dealt with in house, not in the papers. He does more damage than good my opinion.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Sounds like Fulton's appointment happened in a hell of a hurry - Sheen's and Benji were preparing the team for the Panther's match and under loads of pressure so maybe Lee/JP felt the distraction of bringing them into the loop wasn't worth it. Seems like a good appointment - even Rothfield and Kent applauded thought so. One person concentrating on first grade and the other on pathways is consistent with the Tigers stated strategy to be a development club.   

851 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @mac_tiger

Sounds like Fulton's appointment happened in a hell of a hurry - Sheen's and Benji were preparing the team for the Panther's match and under loads of pressure so maybe Lee/JP felt the distraction of bringing them into the loop wasn't worth it. Seems like a good appointment - even Rothfield and Kent applauded thought so. One person concentrating on first grade and the other on pathways is consistent with the Tigers stated strategy to be a development club.   

I think it's a direct shot across the bow of Tim Sheens in demanding McDonnell's appointment in the first place. It seems as though Tim trusts very few people and McDonnell, for whatever reason, is one of them. I wonder if, as the new NRL recruitment manager, we'll see Scott Fulton sitting next to Tim on the sidelines, headphones on, looking every bit like an assistant coach? We saw it repeatedly with McDonnell. Why????

Well done Lee and Pascoe in reminding Sheens he is but an employee of the club with huge responsibilities in coaching and developing a competitive NRL squad. Sure , they probably announced it expecting we would be 0-8 after last weekend, but 1-7 is still pretty dismal, Mr Sheens.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 614 / 939
Share: