Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

@lestronge we shoukd see how Hastings goes at Newcastle I am betting not too well it will end in tears. 

Sheens will likely be judged at the end of 2023 with making a good call moving Hastings on 

With Ponga outside Hastings I predict Hastings will go very well indeed. I predict the Knights to finish above us. Let’s wait until the end of 2023 season to see who is right. 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

@mercy-rule well in a few short months we’ll find out if your fears are warranted.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @mike

@lestronge we shoukd see how Hastings goes at Newcastle I am betting not too well it will end in tears. 

Sheens will likely be judged at the end of 2023 with making a good call moving Hastings on 

With Ponga outside Hastings I predict Hastings will go very well indeed. I predict the Knights to finish above us. Let’s wait until the end of 2023 season to see who is right. 

i think we’ll be in or around the 8 and Knights will be bottom 4. They’ve upgraded their halfback but lost their best middle. They also have the same idiot coaching them who will be lucky to survive the first 5 rounds.

I predict Hastings will rub Ponga the wrong way before the season starts. It’s a signing that will end in tears imo.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

I think the Hastings/ Ponga partnership could work well, Hastings does the organising and gets the team around the park, Ponga is then creative and dangerous enough to take advantage of that. I still think we needed more from our 7 than Hastings provided and we will be in a much stronger position if we can get Moses over the line which is looking more likely all the time. Buzz has a write up on Moses leaving Parra tomorrow.

Mitchell Moses has been offered more than $1 million-a-season to stay at the Parramatta Eels.

It is a fair offer considering his influence on the football side and the fact he steered them into the grand final.

He’s also played 198 NRL games, is in the prime of his career, and is probably the number three halfback in the competition behind Nathan Cleary and Jahrome Hughes.

The 28-year-old playmaker has received bigger offers from both the Canterbury Bulldogs and the Wests Tigers.

He is a new father and obviously wants to set himself up for life after football.

But …

What does this say about the Parramatta club?

And why doesn’t the blue and gold Eels jersey mean a little bit more to him.

Why doesn’t the blue and gold jersey mean more to Mitch Moses? Picture: Getty Images.

Why doesn’t the blue and gold jersey mean more to Mitch Moses? Picture: Getty Images.

I remember back to the great Parramatta Eels sides from the 1980s.

I remember Manly CEO Ken Arthurson, who back then had the biggest cheque book in rugby league, offering Peter Sterling a squillion to join the Sea Eagles.

I can remember Ray Price, Steve Ella, Brett Kenny and Mick Cronin fielding offers far greater than what their then CEO Denis Fitzgerald could afford to pay them.

They all stayed.

It was the jersey. It was the mateship. Club loyalty. Team camaraderie.

And it was about winning premierships.

They took less money but won four titles between 1981 and 1986.

There are still examples of this in more recent times.

Parramatta stars of the 1980s took pay cuts to stay at the club. And they won four premierships between 1981-1986. Picture: Peter Kurnik.

Parramatta stars of the 1980s took pay cuts to stay at the club. And they won four premierships between 1981-1986. Picture: Peter Kurnik.

Cameron Munster could have earnt a lot more by quitting Melbourne Storm for either the Dolphins or the Wests Tigers. He stayed for the jersey.

Nathan Cleary is the best player in the comp. He didn’t even test the market. He took what he thought was a fair offer. About $1.3 million according to the NRL Rich List.

He actually agreed to take $200,000 less later in the contract to help the Panthers keep their premiership winning roster together.

Again, it was about the jersey.

That winning comps and his love for the club was worth more than his pay packet.

There are more great examples.

Andrew Johns at the Newcastle Knights knocked back the Wallabies rugby union and rival NRL clubs to stay for less cash.

It was all about Newcastle. The town and the team. He couldn’t leave.

Where has the pride in the blue and gold jersey gone?

Ricky Stuart could have left Canberra and become the game’s highest paid player in either competition in the Super League war. He stayed for the lime green jersey.

Even Latrell Mitchell. He’s off contract too yet it’s not being played out in the media.

Why? Because he loves South Sydney and everyone knows he will not leave.

I’m not for a minute questioning Moses’ right to test the market.

But at the end of the day it comes back to what Parramatta actually means to him and what value he puts on the jumper.

Is he not tempted to stick around to finish the job they’ve been building for the last five years?

Does he want to walk away from the game with a big bank balance or a premiership ring and the trophy for the blue and gold army.

That’s the decision he has to make. It’s a tough one.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Mike and MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@hsvjones)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @garry

I think the Hastings/ Ponga partnership could work well, Hastings does the organising and gets the team around the park, Ponga is then creative and dangerous enough to take advantage of that. I still think we needed more from our 7 than Hastings provided and we will be in a much stronger position if we can get Moses over the line which is looking more likely all the time. Buzz has a write up on Moses leaving Parra tomorrow.

Mitchell Moses has been offered more than $1 million-a-season to stay at the Parramatta Eels.

It is a fair offer considering his influence on the football side and the fact he steered them into the grand final.

He’s also played 198 NRL games, is in the prime of his career, and is probably the number three halfback in the competition behind Nathan Cleary and Jahrome Hughes.

The 28-year-old playmaker has received bigger offers from both the Canterbury Bulldogs and the Wests Tigers.

He is a new father and obviously wants to set himself up for life after football.

But …

I remember Manly CEO Ken Arthurson, who back then had the biggest cheque book in rugby league, offering Peter Sterling a squillion to join the Sea Eagles.

I can remember Ray Price, Steve Ella, Brett Kenny and Mick Cronin fielding offers far greater than what their then CEO Denis Fitzgerald could afford to pay them.

They all stayed.

Cameron Munster could have earnt a lot more by quitting Melbourne Storm for either the Dolphins or the Wests Tigers. He stayed for the jersey.

Nathan Cleary is the best player in the comp. He didn’t even test the market. He took what he thought was a fair offer. About $1.3 million according to the NRL Rich List.

He actually agreed to take $200,000 less later in the contract to help the Panthers keep their premiership winning roster together.

That winning comps and his love for the club was worth more than his pay packet.

Andrew Johns at the Newcastle Knights knocked back the Wallabies rugby union and rival NRL clubs to stay for less cash.

Ricky Stuart could have left Canberra and become the game’s highest paid player in either competition in the Super League war. He stayed for the lime green jersey.

Even Latrell Mitchell. He’s off contract too yet it’s not being played out in the media.

But at the end of the day it comes back to what Parramatta actually means to him and what value he puts on the jumper.

Is he not tempted to stick around to finish the job they’ve been building for the last five years?

Does he want to walk away from the game with a big bank balance or a premiership ring and the trophy for the blue and gold army.

Buzz working his magic to convince Moses to stay at Eels..   There is no way Eels are making the GF next year with the players they have lost and will be lucky to make the 8. If he wanted to stay I would of thought it would of been done by now so the Eels can announce it and drive memberships sales etc..   

Dogs seem to have an unlimited Salary cap and they are a big concern but I might be bias here but I think Tigers is a better option for Moses if he leaves due to the players we have added and the whole turnover in players / coaching for the better.    

Buzz needs to retire as he changes stories every week and blows my mind how he has not been tapped on the shoulder yet. 

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kenny4517)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

From CCTW

Hastings article today was an interesting read. Personally think it really shows the professionalism of Jacko and Sheens. Many have questioned the decision, but for a player who received a major pay upgrade and a long term deal in the position they prefer, to turn around and vent to the media about their former club rather than focus on their new club that has made a major investment speaks volumes. Sheens reaction in contrast shows the level of professionalism to the club, player and opposing club that it deserves.

On Moses, very very positive signs. Personally, i think this will get done minus a last minute change of heart from Parra in terms of pay. The figures getting thrown around are definitely overstated. Deal from the Tigers is around 950k-1.1m under the cap across the years (about 100-200k in TPAs) with Parra under that and the Dogs offering similar/slightly more over the last 2 years. However, its between Parra and the Tigers. Moses has no hard feelings towards the Tigers and is eager to play with Brooks and work with Sheens, Benji and Robbie. Currently in the US, however will inform the club this week on his return.

Bishops news this week was fairly spot on, hence the reluctancy to commit to a timeline for annoucement. With Isaac Moses managing both Bateman and MM the annoucement will be delayed until the club is certain with what is happening with MM and the possibility of MM arriving in 2023. If he was able to be granted an immediate release, the Bateman deal would be slightly restructured to accomodate MM in 2023. This is extremely unlikely, as i personally can't see Parramatta letting him go early and have stated as much to strong arm him into staying.

In other news, To'o will be staying at Penrith and it is also very likely that Crichton will reject a big money offer from the Bulldogs to stay barring further offers/upgraded offers. Burton will be staying at the dogs after rejecting the first two extension offers and will be on 900k+ rising to 1m in the 3rd and 4th years. Personally think this is a good deal for both parties given the rise in the cap and Burtons age/potential. Farnworths manager has been speaking to a few clubs but think he will be at the Dolphins with the money they are offering. Dom Young getting a ton of offers and will be out of Newcastle if they cannot get close to matching.

MickeyB and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@kenny4517 Apparently by some fans MM is not eager to play with Brooks... If we get MM for 1.1 million it is a very good deal

hsvjones and 851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

I remember back to the Api signing - came right out of the blue as all the reports said we wanted Hodgson. Maybe this might be the case with Moses and Dylan Brown? 

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @kenny4517

From CCTW

Hastings article today was an interesting read. Personally think it really shows the professionalism of Jacko and Sheens. Many have questioned the decision, but for a player who received a major pay upgrade and a long term deal in the position they prefer, to turn around and vent to the media about their former club rather than focus on their new club that has made a major investment speaks volumes. Sheens reaction in contrast shows the level of professionalism to the club, player and opposing club that it deserves.

On Moses, very very positive signs. Personally, i think this will get done minus a last minute change of heart from Parra in terms of pay. The figures getting thrown around are definitely overstated. Deal from the Tigers is around 950k-1.1m under the cap across the years (about 100-200k in TPAs) with Parra under that and the Dogs offering similar/slightly more over the last 2 years. However, its between Parra and the Tigers. Moses has no hard feelings towards the Tigers and is eager to play with Brooks and work with Sheens, Benji and Robbie. Currently in the US, however will inform the club this week on his return.

Bishops news this week was fairly spot on, hence the reluctancy to commit to a timeline for annoucement. With Isaac Moses managing both Bateman and MM the annoucement will be delayed until the club is certain with what is happening with MM and the possibility of MM arriving in 2023. If he was able to be granted an immediate release, the Bateman deal would be slightly restructured to accomodate MM in 2023. This is extremely unlikely, as i personally can't see Parramatta letting him go early and have stated as much to strong arm him into staying.

In other news, To'o will be staying at Penrith and it is also very likely that Crichton will reject a big money offer from the Bulldogs to stay barring further offers/upgraded offers. Burton will be staying at the dogs after rejecting the first two extension offers and will be on 900k+ rising to 1m in the 3rd and 4th years. Personally think this is a good deal for both parties given the rise in the cap and Burtons age/potential. Farnworths manager has been speaking to a few clubs but think he will be at the Dolphins with the money they are offering. Dom Young getting a ton of offers and will be out of Newcastle if they cannot get close to matching.

Quite bullish on Moses, I might have to start rethinking my strong feelings on the matter 😑

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 and MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @hsvjones

Posted by: @garry

But …

They all stayed.

Buzz working his magic to convince Moses to stay at Eels..   There is no way Eels are making the GF next year with the players they have lost and will be lucky to make the 8. If he wanted to stay I would of thought it would of been done by now so the Eels can announce it and drive memberships sales etc..   

Dogs seem to have an unlimited Salary cap and they are a big concern but I might be bias here but I think Tigers is a better option for Moses if he leaves due to the players we have added and the whole turnover in players / coaching for the better.    

Buzz needs to retire as he changes stories every week and blows my mind how he has not been tapped on the shoulder yet. 

Buzz was just on BSB

https://www.skyracing.com.au/listen/podcast/sky-sports-Radios-Big-Sports-breakfast

Says the eels are worried that Moses has not accepted what he says is a 'very fair offer.' Then goes on about loyalty.

You get the vibe that Buzz was fed the yarn by the Eels who have not heard from MM.

Coincides with the CCTW mail stating Tigers are close to getting Moses.

Buzz also says that if the salary cap for 2023 for this week is finalised then Nathan Brown could end up at WT shortly thereafter.

851 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @kenny4517

From CCTW

This is really interesting. Where would we find a roster spot for 2023 for Moses? If he did get a release from Parra then one of AD or Daine Laurie would have to be moved?

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

I believe we are at the point where the club believes they just about have Moses over the line, what remains to be seen is whether that is the situation from Moses' point of view as well. What has me feeling confident is the fact that Parra seem to be very worried about losing him. Maybe we can get this done.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

851, MickeyB, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Enumerator
(@enumerator)
Junior Pathways

What a ridiculous Article

This is a man who openly talks on 360 and his NRL podcast about getting another "Earn" i.e. Pay cheque.

Rothfield loves a rumour and is largely clickbait.

In addition (Yep Im Livid) If anyone believes any of the players stayed for Love of the Jersey alone .. They're Kidding.

Just ask the Roosters, Bulldogs, Storm, Eels and Sharks accountants. Only 1 of these hasn't been caught cheating in recent history

851, Joel Helmes and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@mike I am predicting bottom 4 finish for Newcastle we will see

We will finish who knows anywhere from 8 to 12 I think

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@spartan117 Buzz is disgraceful, he was disgraceful with all the rubbish  he was peddling with Brooks and the constant salary changes throughout 2022, and his article now about Moses is poor form. 

Anything to deflect from his Sharks, who I think will slide down the table (still make the 8 though) 

851 and CanberraTiger reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 373 / 941
Share: