Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Home ground Thread

(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @helmesy

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

So now Vlandys when asked has said if the council gives nrl LO he may be interested in funding a redevelopment. 

Interesting if true I mean they were buying pubs in Qld etc, but the nrl buying a ground might be a bit of a suprise. 

A bit to play out yet I think

Vlandys normally pulls the right reignand gets things done,  with things such as Everest, Vegas perhaps he sees something in a boutique stadium for the nrl

if the nrl can buy LO it might allow the club to then go hunting for a development for CSS 

There is no way the NRL will be able to buy a publically owned asset 😂

if the council gifts them the oval and nrl redevelop it and uses the funds why not. nrl then allows community games to continue at the ground etc in some capacity

they buy pubs, hotels at cronulla etc ... never say never stranger things have happened

Or nrl could ask the council for a 100 year lease like they do with randwick racecourse

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

So now Vlandys when asked has said if the council gives nrl LO he may be interested in funding a redevelopment. 

Interesting if true I mean they were buying pubs in Qld etc, but the nrl buying a ground might be a bit of a suprise. 

A bit to play out yet I think

Vlandys normally pulls the right reignand gets things done,  with things such as Everest, Vegas perhaps he sees something in a boutique stadium for the nrl

if the nrl can buy LO it might allow the club to then go hunting for a development for CSS 

There is no way the NRL will be able to buy a publically owned asset 😂

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Stadium

Ownershipedit

Under the terms of the agreement governing construction and operation of the venue, in 2025 the AFL was to win ownership of the stadium for a nominal $30 fee;[29] but the AFL Commission opted to purchase exclusive ownership of the stadium earlier than this, in October 2016, for approximately $200 million.[7] This purchase left the stadium's tenant AFL clubs millions of dollars better off, as they and the AFL arranged more favourable tenancy agreements.[24] The stadium was eventually integrated into the AFL structure several years later, ending the independent management of the venue by Melbourne Stadiums Limited.[28]

The purchase also soon proved critically important to the AFL's finances during the COVID-19 pandemic, when it was able to leverage its ownership of the stadium in obtaining a $500–600 million line of credit to cover cash flow shortages when the 2020 AFL season was suspended.[30

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

There's a big difference between buying an asset like a pub/hotel, or even a modern arena like Marvel Stadium compared to a liability like Leichhardt. 

LoganR21 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

If I step back it is a sad moment. The rusted on’s that stuck through the disaster of the last 12 years are likely the people most passionate about staying at LO. Without them we maybe would have folded as a club and we definately would not have had the petition that has led to this revolution at the club. I firmly believe that a move to a modern stadium will ultimately lead us to our ultimate goal of being a super club but it will come at the cost of taking away from those true fans one of the things they love most about supporting the Tigers. Hopefully it can be replaced with a much more successful result on and off the field.

Well I’m rusted on and have stuck through the bad years as a member, and I look forward to attending an increased number of games at a modern comfortable venue. I’d prefer Allianz but if it’s Accor I’ll make it work, and while I enjoyed some memorable moments at Leichhardt I won’t miss it’s many downsides.

Snake, TigerTownSFS, Mike and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @dirty-reds

There's a big difference between buying an asset like a pub/hotel, or even a modern arena like Marvel Stadium compared to a liability like Leichhardt. 

I think what PVL said was that if the council gave them the ground for free, they would then be able to invest in it to bring it up to standard. It’s never going to happen obviously.

ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@jedi-tiger The club as we knew it is no longer ..most wanted major changes to the administration and the football club , this has happened and a new era is evolving. The club has decided to move forward into the future the old days are over and with that so is the outdated venues the club used. 
The sooner this realisation hits home the better …

Joel Helmes, Barra and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@tigertownsfs The NRL need to stay out of this other wise the Pandora’s box will be opened . They will be purchasing or redeveloping many more clubs outdated grounds ! The 200 million they have want last long ..

This post was modified 1 month ago by Snake

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

I think what PVL said was that if the council gave them the ground for free, they would then be able to invest in it to bring it up to standard. It’s never going to happen obviously.

he was asked a question and said “we’d look at it”. It’s all something out of nothing: 

1. council aren’t looking to sell

2. the nrl would look at cost and return and walk away 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @snake

@tigertownsfs The NRL need to stay out of this other wise the Pandora’s box will be opened . They will be purchasing or redeveloping many more clubs outdated grounds ! The 200 million they have want last long ..

nrl has already  bought hotel at shark park, why not won there own ground

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

he was asked a question and said “we’d look at it”. It’s all something out of nothing: 

1. council aren’t looking to sell

2. the nrl would look at cost and return and walk away 

nrl can ask for a 100 year lease like racing nsw has with randwick racecourse, vlandys knows how that operates. 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Soceroos were also training out of Leichardt in 2023, who knows they need a training  base too they dont really have one in australia, perhaps they get together with nrl and work out development of Leichardt Oval. Think all options are still open

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Soceroos were also training out of Leichardt in 2023, who knows they need a training  base too they dont really have one in australia, perhaps they get together with nrl and work out development of Leichardt Oval. Think all options are still open

Any development of the size needed would be vigorously opposed by the local community. No way would they accept a 30K stadium in that precinct. V’landys has said if they give it to us we will look at it. I doubt very much if the local council, who owns the oval and nearby swimming centre, would just give it away. In fact the swimming centre would like to see the oval gone all together, but that won’t happen either. The best solution is play the lower grades and possibly the NRLW at Leichhardt with the NRL playing out of a major stadium. 

ReplyQuote
(@lorenzo)
Junior Pathways

I would not completely discount the idea of the NRL picking up the stadium on a 100 year lease for the cost of refreshing the facilities. its a win/win for both parties and if managed properly and some adjustments made to get seating to 20k than it would be in demand for league, rugby, soccer etc... for both training and games. get a few buses to shuttle people coming on the light rail and that may ease the parking issues a little. Council don't have the money to do the work and there is no way the locals would let them knock it down to build apartments so it would be the councils best option.

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @lorenzo

I would not completely discount the idea of the NRL picking up the stadium on a 100 year lease for the cost of refreshing the facilities. its a win/win for both parties and if managed properly and some adjustments made to get seating to 20k than it would be in demand for league, rugby, soccer etc... for both training and games. get a few buses to shuttle people coming on the light rail and that may ease the parking issues a little. Council don't have the money to do the work and there is no way the locals would let them knock it down to build apartments so it would be the councils best option.

Still probably doesn’t address the significant shortage in corporate capacity.

Once you start building northern grandstands etc the bill will rise considerably.

Lost cause. As others have said - play the NRLW there, trials and the juniors, the big boys play in a ground that can better meet 2025 and beyond requirements. 

In 1994 we (Balmain) moved away because the ground wasn’t up to scratch…here we are 30 years later having the same discussion with a venue that has barely changed.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

LoganR21 and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lorenzo)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @lorenzo

Still probably doesn’t address the significant shortage in corporate capacity.

Once you start building northern grandstands etc the bill will rise considerably.

Lost cause. As others have said - play the NRLW there, trials and the juniors, the big boys play in a ground that can better meet 2025 and beyond requirements. 

In 1994 we (Balmain) moved away because the ground wasn’t up to scratch…here we are 30 years later having the same discussion with a venue that has barely changed.

I did mention on an earlier comment that I would support the club no matter where they played and if we have aspirations to become a regular top 8 team we need a better ground with superior facilities and seating for 30k+ I do however believe that the NRL could get some value out of it and tigers could play a game or 2 especially against out of state teams where the attendance may be a little depressed, make it an annual special event and put on a show.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 120 / 131
Share: