[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @lorenzo

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Galvins mummy and daddy using Moses to do the dirty work. Whip up a frenzy with the usual journalists. Galvin gets to pretend if asked that he loves the club etc etc. this is Tedesco all over again but we have a contract for the next few years. Roosters will move on once they can’t shake Galvin free. Let him rot in reserve grade.

All fair points, but if you were Galvin’s parents, would you want him to leave? It’s career suicide for him to stay and league players have short careers. I don’t blame Galvin for wanting out - it’s the clubs fault.

unless there is some truth to the commentary that he was asked to play 14 or centre so Latu can have a go, then no, as a parent I would honestly want him to stay, he will be playing beside luai and he can become a club legend with endorsements and $$ for life if he turns the club around, worse case he plays for a couple of years, becomes a stand out regular first grader and writes his own cheques next contract when he will only be 20yrs old. He could go somewhere else and end up in reserves....I actually see more upside in his career if he stays.

I think if he wants to be an elite player and have a successful career, he needs to go somewhere else. He needs a club that will provide strong standards, a good culture and the correct coaching and development. He will not get any of those things here. Would be a terrible decision for him to stay and I think any decent player with a bright future in front of him should be heading for the exits too.

its hard to say as a Tigers fan, but it’s true. We havent turned the corner, we’ve gone backwards. We have a terrible roster that is several years away from being competitive (best case scenario) and a coach that evidently can’t coach.

apart from Aaron Woods, has there ever been a player that regretted leaving the Tigers? I doubt it.

ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

If WT are relying on some sense of moral duty by parents to stick solid with the club that gave a kid his chance, then good luck with that. In this case, that's very unlikely to happen. I could elaborate but I won't.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @mercy-rule

If WT are relying on some sense of moral duty by parents to stick solid with the club that gave a kid his chance, then good luck with that. In this case, that's very unlikely to happen. I could elaborate but I won't.

Yep, seems we have a potential problem.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
Lorenzo
(@lorenzo)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Galvins mummy and daddy using Moses to do the dirty work. Whip up a frenzy with the usual journalists. Galvin gets to pretend if asked that he loves the club etc etc. this is Tedesco all over again but we have a contract for the next few years. Roosters will move on once they can’t shake Galvin free. Let him rot in reserve grade.

All fair points, but if you were Galvin’s parents, would you want him to leave? It’s career suicide for him to stay and league players have short careers. I don’t blame Galvin for wanting out - it’s the clubs fault.

unless there is some truth to the commentary that he was asked to play 14 or centre so Latu can have a go, then no, as a parent I would honestly want him to stay, he will be playing beside luai and he can become a club legend with endorsements and $$ for life if he turns the club around, worse case he plays for a couple of years, becomes a stand out regular first grader and writes his own cheques next contract when he will only be 20yrs old. He could go somewhere else and end up in reserves....I actually see more upside in his career if he stays.

I think if he wants to be an elite player and have a successful career, he needs to go somewhere else. He needs a club that will provide strong standards, a good culture and the correct coaching and development. He will not get any of those things here. Would be a terrible decision for him to stay and I think any decent player with a bright future in front of him should be heading for the exits too.

its hard to say as a Tigers fan, but it’s true. We havent turned the corner, we’ve gone backwards. We have a terrible roster that is several years away from being competitive (best case scenario) and a coach that evidently can’t coach.

apart from Aaron Woods, has there ever been a player that regretted leaving the Tigers? I doubt it.

i dont agree, he would still be playing Reggie's at any other team and its still highly likely he may end up back there when opposition players work him out as they have started to do already. If players followed your advice than we would never turn this club around. 

Barra reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@lorenzo His management want to be careful.. I agree the Tigers are his best fit ATM , if I was giving some advice it would be at his age a club that would ease him in and out of various positions and nurture him over the coming few seasons , he then decides what position he can make a go of in his next contract negotiations if he wants to move on fine.

He goes to a top club has a few injuries or is struggling we all know what happens reserve grade of worse these clubs chew through players like him relentlessly. Having Benji as his coach is a huge win for this fella as Benji can guide him through the tough spots that will come Benji knows what it’s like to be the next big thing and what will come ..how many of us have witnessed the next big thing never to see them again . I really hope those around him are sensible and not go after the promised land so quickly .

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@lorenzo playing Reggie’s in a great system long term would be a positive, but i think he’d play first grade at several other clubs.

im not saying it’s good for us for him to leave, I think he’s a star, but im just saying if I were him I’d leave. I hate to say it but we might never turn it around.

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/galvin-finally-rested-as-tigers-offer-fresh-deal-to-drop-release-request-20240609-p5jkf2.html

Posted this in the Titans game thread re: Galvin being rested, but the main point is that we will look to extend him. 

Ridiculous that players/agents can carry on like this 10 games into a career. 

Barra and CanberraTiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@avocadoontoast Actually the team is only 40 mins away from being totally competitive not seven seasons😂. I disagree the Tigers IMO are his best bet , I have seen this all before many times over 7 decades , the pressure being applied by others I feel a bit sad for the kid . It’s always better to be a big fish in a small pond rather than a small fish in a large  pond . Patience is the key for an 18 yr old growing into his body ! because this area will be the defining issue where his position on the field will be .

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @snake

@avocadoontoast Actually the team is only 40 mins away from being totally competitive not seven seasons😂. I disagree the Tigers IMO are his best bet , I have seen this all before many times over 7 decades , the pressure being applied by others I feel a bit sad for the kid . It’s always better to be a big fish in a small pond rather than a small fish in a large  pond . Patience is the key for an 18 yr old growing into his body ! because this area will be the defining issue where his position on the field will be .

Tedesco and Moses both left when the club was far better than it is now. Their careers have been far better because of it. I want him to stay, I think he’s a star, but I’m not sure it’s a good decision for him. It’s only a good decision if we can turn it around, but looking at our roster it’s a long way off.

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

the kid is 18! we put the kid through our systems where he had success. What have we done to deserve being treated this way by a guy who has play 8 games? Everyone knows we are a rebuilding club, he signed a long term contract only last year, we took the risk and it looks to have paid off but there are many that don’t pay off and yet we are still held to those contracts. The numskulls who point out that we are moving Bud on etc forget that Bud will get every cent of his contract. We are the losers (for signing him to a long term deal), he is the winner! I had bought into the idea that the kids actually wanted to play and win here (“we’re all boys from the south west etc etc”) but as soon as there is some interest from the bigger clubs you just chuck a sook and move on. It’s head they win, tails we lose. This is Galvin and his entourages fault, no one else.

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

The Wests Tigers have promised to extend the contract of boom teenager Lachlan Galvin beyond 2026 if he decides to drop a request for an immediate release from the NRL strugglers.

As coach Benji Marshall faces a halves crisis with Galvin and No.7 Jayden Sullivan to both miss Saturday’s clash against the Titans, Tigers chief executive Shane Richardson has offered Galvin’s management an immediate upgrade and longer deal.

The peace offering was made after Galvin asked the club last week to be released from the remainder of his deal, a blow for the Tigers before they suffered their ninth straight loss in a 54-12 hammering at the hands of the Dragons on Friday night.

Galvin’s inquiry was nothing new for the Tigers.

His management had asked for a release even before the season began, but after being handed his NRL debut in round two, the 18-year-old has been the shining light for the Tigers in another torrid season.

But it hasn’t stopped him agitating for a new NRL club, the latest question swiftly knocked back by the Tigers.

Instead, Richardson has told Galvin’s manager, Isaac Moses, it will offer fresh terms beyond the end of his current deal – due to expire at the end of 2026 – if the Australian Schoolboys star stays put at Concord.

While no clubs are allowed to speak to Galvin about his future from next year given he’s still under contract at the Tigers, multiple sources not allowed to speak publicly on the matter said the player is interested in the possibility of lining up alongside Nathan Cleary in the halves at Penrith.

There is no suggestion the Panthers or any other club has raised the issue of prying Galvin away from the Tigers with Moses.

Cleary’s current halves lieutenant, Jarome Luai, will join the Tigers on a mammoth five-year deal from 2025, and the club had earmarked Galvin as his long-term scrumbase partner.

The Galvin drama comes after the Tigers agreed to release Isaiah Papali’i from the final year of his deal to join Penrith from 2025, and having tabled prop Stefano Utoikamanu a five-year, $4 million offer if he doesn’t take up an option to become a free agent.

Utoikamanu must play the final two Origin games this year to be contracted to the Tigers next season. Otherwise, he’s free to talk to rival clubs.

What is certain, though, is the Tigers will rest Galvin from their showdown with the Titans at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday as he battles a hand injury which has required pain-killing injections in recent weeks.

Marshall will allow the prodigy to heal the problem, but it will come with a fresh blow as Sullivan also faces a month on the sidelines through injury.

The former St George Illawarra playmaker, 22, has been diagnosed with a broken finger and will be out for up to a month.

The Tigers’ halves headache will be slightly eased with Aidan Sezer returning from suspension, but there’s no obvious five-eighth option given the injuries to Galvin, Sullivan and Latu Fainu.

Adam Doueihi, who remains without a deal for next season, will play his first game in 14 months in the NSW Cup this week after another knee reconstruction.

The Tigers are anchored to the bottom of the ladder outright and closing in on a third straight wooden spoon.

SMH

This post was modified 4 months ago 3 times by Joel Helmes

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

the kid is 18! we put the kid through our systems where he had success. What have we done to deserve being treated this way by a guy who has play 8 games? Everyone knows we are a rebuilding club, he signed a long term contract only last year, we took the risk and it looks to have paid off but there are many that don’t pay off and yet we are still held to those contracts. The numskulls who point out that we are moving Bud on etc forget that Bud will get every cent of his contract. We are the losers (for signing him to a long term deal), he is the winner! I had bought into the idea that the kids actually wanted to play and win here (“we’re all boys from the south west etc etc”) but as soon as there is some interest from the bigger clubs you just chuck a sook and move on. It’s head they win, tails we lose. This is Galvin and his entourages fault, no one else.

We’ve lost 50 of our last 60 games and getting worse. That’s the clubs fault.

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

@avocadoontoast that leads only to one destination - folding the club. I guess Richo is the perfect guy to move us to Brisbane as Easts Tigers.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@avocadoontoast that leads only to one destination - folding the club. I guess Richo is the perfect guy to move us to Brisbane as Easts Tigers.

Anything’s possible. NRL won’t put up with us coming last forever. 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

David Nofoaluma?

ReplyQuote
Page 961 / 1066
Share: