Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

I think stef will be out the door shortly too, he may well be thinking if I can get into a good system, Roosters Penrith storm even souths with bennet he can get another shot at representative games

I think he will go to market, there will be the usual team x chasing him and then he will sign elsewhere. I will be furious about it. 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @canberratiger

I think stef will be out the door shortly too, he may well be thinking if I can get into a good system, Roosters Penrith storm even souths with bennet he can get another shot at representative games

I think he will go to market, there will be the usual team x chasing him and then he will sign elsewhere. I will be furious about it. 

I don't particularly want to lose stef but I sure as hell don't want to pay him anymore than 750k that might be the problem we might need to pay overs to keep him and that throws out our cap. 

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

I don't particularly want to lose stef but I sure as hell don't want to pay him anymore than 750k that might be the problem we might need to pay overs to keep him and that throws out our cap. 

That’s what makes it so hard to come back from where we are. You have to pay overs for players and than your cap is a mess and you can’t retain/sign decent players 

ReplyQuote
CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

That’s what makes it so hard to come back from where we are. You have to pay overs for players and than your cap is a mess and you can’t retain/sign decent players 

There is also a shortage of decent players so we might end up with a lot of cash and then have to spend overs on nobodies to meet the cap requirements. I would rather pay a little bit of overs for a player like Stef. There shouldn't be a minimum spend.

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

There is also a shortage of decent players so we might end up with a lot of cash and then have to spend overs on nobodies to meet the cap requirements. I would rather pay a little bit of overs for a player like Stef. There shouldn't be a minimum spend.

Agree minimum spend is pointless. If you’re under spending the cap your roster is going to be weak. 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

That is the sensible approach. That is the way other clubs, more successful clubs will/would approach it. It is not the way we can approach it. The hard reality is that we are at the bottom of the barrel and the only way we can claw our way out is to attract better players. No one is going to come to our club without quality forwards here.

We will in the end have to pay Stef what he wants which will be I think around $100K pa more than anyone else offers him. We will have to suck it up and wear it and hope he continues to develop.

If we were to lose Stef, at this stage, I think it sets us back another 5 years.

Barra and CanberraTiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lorenzo)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Watching the Bulldogs game last night is a good example of what is possible if you have a fit and motivated team of big bodied players that believe in themselves. There is no way you could call the dogs attack very skilled, they don't have good halves, even Burton is not a creative 5/8 he plays more like a centre that kicks. The reality is their whole backline have been playing NRL first grade for at least 3 seasons, they play at speed and with confidence and there are some high footy IQ individuals across the group. They overwhelm an opposition and they seem to have a knack of slowing the opposition ruck down and getting away with it yet have opposition teams penalized when they do the same to them...its purely down to the fact that they play faster than the other side. Their forward pack would be no where near the top 10 packs in the comp yet they seem to be able to jag a few wins and keep their fans happy, however more importantly they become a more attractive proposition for players that are on the market. They will struggle to beat the likes of the Broncos, dolphins, storm etc...they were lucky to get away with the win against the roosters however they will easily account for the less skilled teams in the bottom half of the comp. The outcome will be they will not be paying overs to attract players and their juniors will be hanging around to get a chance to play in a team that win more than they lose. The risk is that style of footy is hard to maintain for a full season once players start having to manage injuries in the back half. So the question is....should the Tigers be able to follow the same path? seems like the players are on team Benji but can Benji coach them to the point where they can overwhelm an opposition? do we have the players that are even capable of following this path?

I believe Benji can do it, however needs another experienced assistant

I don't think the players we have are capable of it....im looking at Staines, Naden, Bud, Toa, AJ etc...

the only way you can offset this is to have an exceptional spine that can carry less talented players....we will have a great halve in Luai next year and a top 2 hooker in Api..however the Jury is still out on Bula and Galvin taking the next steps, I believe they have the potential, however will they deliver? 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Feels like Benji wants to build from the defence ie run a game plan that is based purely on maintaining defensive discipline and seeing which players are able to maintain that vs identifying those that can’t. Once he finds his squad who can follow that plan then he will add offence. Seems like he is identifying which guys to get rid of now. Question is can he stay around long enough to build the future swuad

ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Feels like Benji wants to build from the defence ie run a game plan that is based purely on maintaining defensive discipline and seeing which players are able to maintain that vs identifying those that can’t. Once he finds his squad who can follow that plan then he will add offence. Seems like he is identifying which guys to get rid of now. Question is can he stay around long enough to build the future swuad

Well, no doubt he'd have had the conversation with Richo in which case if agreed upon he definitely should be given every opportunity.

ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@lorenzo the Bulldogs are not even a big team, they are a committed team - with lots of utilities.

Ciraldo's philosophy might actually work for him. Already the difference between their worst and best has narrowed considerably.

ReplyQuote
(@lorenzo)

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

i get that however you are digging yourself a hole if you dont at least show a bit of your potential, at times we have been on top of other teams yet give it away due to poor discipline or not being able to recover from a setback. This team needs to show something soon and for me its not necessarily winning games its not beating ourselves and losing them.

ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tiger5150

That is the sensible approach. That is the way other clubs, more successful clubs will/would approach it. It is not the way we can approach it. The hard reality is that we are at the bottom of the barrel and the only way we can claw our way out is to attract better players. No one is going to come to our club without quality forwards here.

We will in the end have to pay Stef what he wants which will be I think around $100K pa more than anyone else offers him. We will have to suck it up and wear it and hope he continues to develop.

If we were to lose Stef, at this stage, I think it sets us back another 5 years.

Totally agree with this! I'm pretty sure that the new philosophy needs Stef to stay, we just have to pay it.

No going backwards with recruitment, which is why I feel some confidence even though we let more valuable experience go in Ice.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lorenzo)

@barra i would argue that they are, Crichton is massive, Kiraz is probably bigger than Naden, same with JAC and Xerri is built like a brick outhouse and then you have burton who is a big guy...just the fullback is small. Throw in Kikau on an edge and you have the land of the giants.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @barra

@lorenzo the Bulldogs are not even a big team, they are a committed team - with lots of utilities.

Ciraldo's philosophy might actually work for him. Already the difference between their worst and best has narrowed considerably.

Dare I say it, the difference might be less commitment and more coaching.

ReplyQuote
(@tigertragic56)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@lorenzo hmmm sounds like Canterbury are imitating Penrith without quite the same cattle (yet). Not surprising given the coach and players acquired

ReplyQuote
Page 946 / 972
Share: