Posted by: @russtutty63

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @garry

I differ to most here in that I believe we don’t need an impact middle as we already have one in Fonua Pole. I also believe we have 2 of the best, if not the best, young props in the game in Stef & Samuela. So young those 3 and their best is well & truly in front of them. I can see Stef & Sam starting next year with Klem & Pole off the bench. Matamua would be my 13. Guys like Twal, Seyfarth, Sione & Jordan Miller will add depth. There’s also a group of 19 & 20 year olds who are improving & could get a run here & there. We are definitely a team to watch imo because we have so much improvement in us.

Pole has not shown that consistently though which is my concern.

I agree but he has shown it. Part of the issue with consistency is inexperience in the role and getting used to the players around him particularly Api. He played only 4 games off the bench last year with all the middles getting used to Api’s style of play so the sample size is small yet there were signs he might be good in that role. He might not play in that role again but that’s where I’d like to see him next year especially if Matamua can move into the 13 which is probably a bigger question.

Its a good point IMO. There are players who have shown that they are capable of playing well in NRL but not done it consistently. Id put Pole, Tupou, Naden, Staines, Bateman, Seyfarth and even Starford Toa. These guys have shown they CAN do it, just need to do it consistently. These players need to be coached to achieve consistent performance.

Then there are the Tumeths, Matamua, Kepaoa, Sullivan type players where you can clearly see potential, but they ahve never actually shown that they can prove that they can do it. These are the type of players I think we need to be cycling out of the club.

I disagree with Matamua & Tumeth. Matamua is arguably the most consistent forward in our Cup side and he’s only 20. Guys like Yeo, Carrigan etc didn’t become the players they are now at 20. Carrigan was a good middle with potential, Murray was a bench player at 20.  Tumeth is still learning & improving, just saw him hit a good line & offload for Wests try at Lidcombe now in the Cup game. He’d be on minimum or close to it. 

You literally just described their potential. Im talking about actually seeing in first grade that they CAN do it. I am probably being pretty tough on Matamua and he gets his first real chance tomorrow. Not sure Tumeth will ever get another chance.

Yes I did because I think they have potential. But I have seen quite a bit of them this year & last year. This year Matamua has been the most consistent forward in Cup. He has earned his spot this week due to his performances, not his potential. Tumeth shows signs of improvement but whether he makes it or not I don’t know. 
Next season more than half our cap will be spent on 10 players, I have not figured in Bud’s contract, any potential upgrades for Lachie or the fact we are looking at adding a quality outside back. So you will need at least a few players on minimum & Matamua & Tumeth would be on minimum or close to it. Whether or not both are part of our plans I don’t know but they’re young, they’re improving and on little money.

Players earning $500,000 or more at the Tigers next season:

Luai. 1.2 million

Api.  700,000

Jahream  700,000

Bateman. 700,000

Klem  700,000?

Ice.  600,000

Latu. 500,000

Sam. 500,000

Stef.  700,000?

Bud 500,000

I’m not sure of Klem’s contract or how much Stef will be on if he stays but $700,000 seems reasonable guess. And if were to bring in an outside back I’d think $500,000 seems about right or underestimate.  That’d be $7.3 million on 11 players. So it leaves approx $4 million for 18 or 19 players. Of them a half dozen might be on $250,000-$350,000, let’s say $300,000 each, that’s another $1.8 million.  So $9 million on 17 players. That’d leave approx $2.5 million on 12 or 13 players. At a guess I think a half dozen might be on minimum to factor in upgrades and so on. I might be totally off the mark but that’s my guess.

I’d say Turuva would be about that $500,000-600,000 mark so if it does happen then would assume that’d be it for a while unless one or two of those out of the top 10 or so are released or leave.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Sport Confidential: Sunia Turuva tipped to join Wests Tigers in 2025

Sunia Turuva will become the second Panther to join the Wests Tigers in four months with the Fijian flyer tipped to reject an offer of more money at the Dragons.

Turuva, off contract at the end of the year, had been in talks with the Dragons after suggestions the Panthers were reluctant to offer him more than $350,000 per season.

It means Turuva will reunite with fellow premiership winner Jarome Luai at the Tigers and become the second Panther to join the club in four months.

The Dragons were believed to be in the box seat to land Turuva and offered him a unique deal which would have been the highest offer on the table. The Dragons deal ranged between $400,000 to $600,000 with triggers in the contract if Turuva managed to secure the fullback spot.

Sunia Turuva is set to become the latest Panther to join the Wests Tigers. Picture: Getty Images

Sunia Turuva is set to become the latest Panther to join the Wests Tigers. Picture: Getty Images

However it now looks like the Tigers have moved to the front of the queue to secure the reigning Dally M rookie of the year, who has scored eight tries through six games this season.

Another potential move to fullback won’t happen at the Tigers. It is understood the Tigers have targeted Turuva to play in the centres and provide cover for superstar Jahream Bula at fullback.

Newcastle also showed an interest in the Fijian international after he toured the club’s facilities and met officials during the Panthers’ recent bye, however the Knights never tabled a formal offer.

His signing would be a coup for coach Benji Marshall and interim chief executive Shane Richardson, with Marshall having already led the chase for Luai.

Turuva scored Penrith’s opening two tries in their 22-6 win against the Tigers last Saturday.

2023 Dally M Rookie of the Year Sunia Turuva. Picture: Getty Images

He becomes the latest member of Penrith’s dynasty to depart the club as the salary cap bites. At the end of this season, he will join Luai and prop James Fisher-Harris in heading for the exit.

Turuva’s management met with Penrith officials last week and talks continued but the parties have been unable to come to an agreement for the 21-year-old.

Fisher-Harris will join the Warriors after being granted permission to leave the club on compassionate grounds to be closer to his family.

The Dragons had earmarked Turuva to put pressure on Tyrell Sloan for the starting No. 1 jersey.

With Turuva and Luai next season, the Tigers will have five Panthers premiership winners in their top 30 squad. Api Koroisau, Charlie Staines and Brent Naden are ex-Panthers already at the club.

The Tigers have lost winger Junior Tupou to the Dolphins for next season

Would be a coup wouldn’t he. If true then it wouldn’t surprise if Api may have had some influence, a friend told me they were very chummy after the recent game although not much to read into that. Panthers should be cashed up for a crack at a prop then. 

He is Api's cousin.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Sport Confidential: Sunia Turuva tipped to join Wests Tigers in 2025

Sunia Turuva will become the second Panther to join the Wests Tigers in four months with the Fijian flyer tipped to reject an offer of more money at the Dragons.

Turuva, off contract at the end of the year, had been in talks with the Dragons after suggestions the Panthers were reluctant to offer him more than $350,000 per season.

It means Turuva will reunite with fellow premiership winner Jarome Luai at the Tigers and become the second Panther to join the club in four months.

The Dragons were believed to be in the box seat to land Turuva and offered him a unique deal which would have been the highest offer on the table. The Dragons deal ranged between $400,000 to $600,000 with triggers in the contract if Turuva managed to secure the fullback spot.

However it now looks like the Tigers have moved to the front of the queue to secure the reigning Dally M rookie of the year, who has scored eight tries through six games this season.

Another potential move to fullback won’t happen at the Tigers. It is understood the Tigers have targeted Turuva to play in the centres and provide cover for superstar Jahream Bula at fullback.

Newcastle also showed an interest in the Fijian international after he toured the club’s facilities and met officials during the Panthers’ recent bye, however the Knights never tabled a formal offer.

His signing would be a coup for coach Benji Marshall and interim chief executive Shane Richardson, with Marshall having already led the chase for Luai.

Turuva scored Penrith’s opening two tries in their 22-6 win against the Tigers last Saturday.

He becomes the latest member of Penrith’s dynasty to depart the club as the salary cap bites. At the end of this season, he will join Luai and prop James Fisher-Harris in heading for the exit.

Turuva’s management met with Penrith officials last week and talks continued but the parties have been unable to come to an agreement for the 21-year-old.

Fisher-Harris will join the Warriors after being granted permission to leave the club on compassionate grounds to be closer to his family.

The Dragons had earmarked Turuva to put pressure on Tyrell Sloan for the starting No. 1 jersey.

With Turuva and Luai next season, the Tigers will have five Panthers premiership winners in their top 30 squad. Api Koroisau, Charlie Staines and Brent Naden are ex-Panthers already at the club.

The Tigers have lost winger Junior Tupou to the Dolphins for next season

Would be a coup wouldn’t he. If true then it wouldn’t surprise if Api may have had some influence, a friend told me they were very chummy after the recent game although not much to read into that. Panthers should be cashed up for a crack at a prop then. 

He is Api's cousin.

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

He’s quick and strong but quite short. We need tall athletic players wingers if we are going to go with Turavu and olam in centres. 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

turuva would be a good buy hope we land him

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Plenty of upside in Turuva, will be 22 in September, only 36 games played so you would expect he still has improvement in him. He can play wing & fullback if needed, has pace, seems a professional in terms of his training etc so no baggage, has played & won a premiership. Not sure about playing centre but still a good player to have in your backline. 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Plenty of upside in Turuva, will be 22 in September, only 36 games played so you would expect he still has improvement in him. He can play wing & fullback if needed, has pace, seems a professional in terms of his training etc so no baggage, has played & won a premiership. Not sure about playing centre but still a good player to have in your backline. 

an upgrade on tupou

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

an upgrade on tupou

You’d expect that to be the case although I do think Junior will improve and play better football next year. 

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

I'd say if this article is in the paper then he's already signed.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

I know it’s been reported Turuva, if he signs, might play centre but I’m pretty confident we have a couple of young guys coming through who might push for a spot as well. I think Solomone Saukuru is a good chance next season. Josh Feledy is only 19 and can continue to improve, he’s going ok at the moment. Makasini is the one to watch should we be able to have him around for a while. All teenagers at present. Think they’d all do well outside top class halves playing behind a good pack.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

I know it’s been reported Turuva, if he signs, might play centre but I’m pretty confident we have a couple of young guys coming through who might push for a spot as well. I think Solomone Saukuru is a good chance next season. Josh Feledy is only 19 and can continue to improve, he’s going ok at the moment. Makasini is the one to watch should we be able to have him around for a while. All teenagers at present. Think they’d all do well outside top class halves playing behind a good pack.

So happy to see you back posting here mate.

CanberraTiger, TigerSteve, Tiger5150 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

an upgrade on tupou

You’d expect that to be the case although I do think Junior will improve and play better football next year. 

I think tupou might be a better centre than winger

excited if we get turuva

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Posted by: @garry

So happy to see you back posting here mate.

Thanks Garry, always lurking around in the dark somewhere.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

an upgrade on tupou

I think tupou might be a better centre than winger

excited if we get turuva

Would be interesting to see that’s for sure. 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Someone on the other forum suggested we might be looking at Sivo. I hope this is true, would be perfect on the left wing and give some size finally on our wing. Left hand combination of Papi, Olam and Sivo would be special. Right hand side of Sam Fainu, Turavu and Naden wouldn’t be bad either. Galvin and Luai causing havoc in the halves off Api with Latu as link at 13 with  Bula following the ruck and chiming in to create the lead overlap.

ReplyQuote
Page 929 / 933
Share: