Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @frullens

Posted by: @mattvtiger

Nice to see an administrator taking responsibility  for their decision. Not hiding behind committees and boards.. 

That was the biggest realisation that I came to after the December announcement. 

We were being run by committees, where we needed a leaders with full power. (I.e benevolent dictator)

Now Barry has that with the board

Richo has that with the organisation 

And Benji had that with the footy team

Richo definitely isn't scare to make a decision and is very happy to stand by it from what I have seen so far.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mattvtiger)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @garry

Nice to see an administrator taking responsibility  for their decision. Not hiding behind committees and boards.. 

That was the biggest realisation that I came to after the December announcement. 

We were being run by committees, where we needed a leaders with full power. (I.e benevolent dictator)

Richo definitely isn't scare to make a decision and is very happy to stand by it from what I have seen so far.

And not throwing people under the bus. 

ReplyQuote
(@tigerton)
Wests Tigers Supporter

It seems since Richo joined us the reporting of things such as the Fulton sacking is now being shone in a different way.

Much less negative spin in the articles overall with some then turning it in to more of a positive using things like signing Olam, Luai etc.

Amazing the difference having a respected leader with runs on the board in League land can make to the media feedback.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

It looks like the new structure/powers are the CEO has whole responsibilities, and the board just oversee big decisions . 
It means that the CEO now has all the responsibility, but also all the blame . As opposed to years of “not my fault” management  culture . 
It’s such a contrast . Only a highly confident/competent person will even entertain the job as a CEO or is suitable . 
Pretty good stuff . Hopefully that kind of no fuss will filter down to the football team over time . 

ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @garry

And has the experience to know what the best decision is for the club.

ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@frullens There are individuals that have been wounded by what’s  transpired and are lurking in the shadows ! It’s human nature to look for pay back , the reality is this is only short term. What has transpired is amazing but let’s not get to ahead of ourselves the path to waking the sleeping giant has a long way to go but the giants eyes are now open!

Frullens and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

A bit of blub on the young prop just signed

Mackay’s foothold as one of the country’s strongest regions for NRL talent production won’t be faltering anytime soon.

18-year-old Nehemiah Wuatai-Davis has joined a long list of ‘sugar city’ products to secure development NRL contracts, putting pen to paper with Wests Tigers.

“I’m a bit stoked to proceed with my dream and be training with the Tigers, it’s a big accomplishment for me,” Nehemiah said.

“I was just lost for words, real happy and a bit nervous at the same time.”

Originally from Townsville, Nehemiah began his rugby league career at age seven, before relocating to Mackay and joining Magpies juniors at 10 years of age.

Within seven years the Mackay State High product would climb the ranks to the senior club’s A-grade side, notching three games with the eventual premiers in 2023.

“He did really well, he certainly didn’t look out of place,” Magpies premiership winning coach Scott Thorburn said.

“For a young kid playing in the front row, he didn’t back down … the biggest thing is just showing you’re made out of that tough, resilient, front-rower mould.”

Thorburn was particularly struck by Nehemiah’s application at training.

“His attitude to training and the way he presents himself at training is really important, he’s always well prepared,” Thorburn said.

“He can handle the contact, usually front-rowers aren’t maturing until 25 or 26, for a young kid who was only 17, he did really well to show that toughness at that age.”

Thorburn also believes Wests will be the right place for Nehemiah to continue his development.

“He’s got his foot in the door now, that’s the main thing, he’s got his opportunity,” he said.

“They’re a really strong junior club, the Wests Tigers, I think he’s going to have to go down there now and prove himself.

“Wests weren’t the only club that were looking at him, he got a fair bit of interest after those first grade games which was good.”

Nehemiah’s father, Dan Davis, credited Magpies for the role they played in his development.

“We take our hat off to Magpies juniors and seniors and what they’ve put into him … much appreciation to them, they’ve played a massive role in where he is at the moment,” Dan said.

But what sparked the Tigers’ interest?

Dan recalls that after a series of strong showings for Capricornia at the state titles, Nehemiah caught the eye of his now manager, who would send the front-rower’s tapes to a number of NRL clubs.

Consider his A-grade performances at just 17 too, and it was enough to seal the deal.

Dan also credited Wests for “opening their arms” to help his son adapt to the foreign Sydney lifestyle.

“It’s really good that they’ve done that with the big move that he’s done,” Dan said.

“Big thanks to the Tigers family, they’ve made that transition quite easy for him at this stage.”

Speaking from the car en route to his fourth training session, having touched down in Sydney in the past week, Nehemiah said he was struck by the intensity of training in the early days.

“Everything’s got to be 100%, because you’re at the high level you’re always putting in the hard work,” Nehemiah said.

“The first training was a bit full on for me but I’m enjoying it so far.

He did however concede that life in the big smoke was far removed from Mackay, and could take some getting used to.

“It’s a lot different, way bigger,” he said.

The Courier Mail.

Joel Helmes and Westy81 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @lestronge

It looks like the new structure/powers are the CEO has whole responsibilities, and the board just oversee big decisions . 
It means that the CEO now has all the responsibility, but also all the blame . As opposed to years of “not my fault” management  culture . 
It’s such a contrast . Only a highly confident/competent person will even entertain the job as a CEO or is suitable . 
Pretty good stuff . Hopefully that kind of no fuss will filter down to the football team over time . 

Since Richo has been appointed I can't believe how much my mindset has changed. He's such a good operator I just trust whatever decisions he's making are the right ones. I don't remember having any confidence in any previous administrator so it's a really nice change.

Tiger_Alex, Joel Helmes, CanberraTiger and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @lestronge

Since Richo has been appointed I can't believe how much my mindset has changed. He's such a good operator I just trust whatever decisions he's making are the right ones. I don't remember having any confidence in any previous administrator so it's a really nice change.

Yep, just a totally different approach/skill set.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Olam official 

Joel Helmes, MickeyB, Mac_Tiger and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigerton)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Yep just got the members email. Hopefully he goes good for us 🤞.

Welcome to the tigers Justin.

MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

If the rumours are right, seems like a pretty good deal for WT with Storm paying a chunk of Olam's contract for next 2 years. Nice to have some genuine competition for outside backs. 

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @mac_tiger

If the rumours are right, seems like a pretty good deal for WT with Storm paying a chunk of Olam's contract for next 2 years. Nice to have some genuine competition for outside backs. 

I think it’s an exciting purchase and we need to acknowledge Blore’s contribution to the club.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

TigerTon reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @helmesy

I think it’s an exciting purchase and we need to acknowledge Blore’s contribution to the club.

Im sure Blore is a great bloke and I genuinely wish him well, but Im scratching for actual contribution he has made for the club? Not being nasty or smart but out for extended periods with injury. One great tackle v Parra and other than that a few cameo moments off the bench?

I also very nervous about Olam, but I do think he will help us in the opposition 20.

flantastic reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

The next 2 years is the interesting part for me. I think that Richo is betting on PNG being admitted from 2026 and Olam might leave us after 2025?

My knowledge of Olam is that:

- he runs hard

- does not pass often

- has been playing at a leading NRL club

Bellamy's willingness to release him is what I find troubling, especially after Olam was centre of the year in 2022.

The reason for Olam being dropped this year might have something to do with defence?

The stats at both NRL and Q Cup level suggest low tackle efficiency

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2023/09/05/home-truths-hit-hard-for-olam-in-his-focus-on-improvement/

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/teams/nrl-premiership/melbourne-storm/justin-olam/

https://www.qrl.com.au/players/qrl-premiership/sunshine-coast-falcons/justin-olam/

By comparison - Stephen Crichton averages 85% tackle efficiency in the past 3 years.

ReplyQuote
Page 902 / 933
Share: