Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @garry

Posted by: @mike

With Fulton gone the club is taking positive steps to improve the way the club handles recruitment. Committee consisting of Marshall, Richardson & Betsey. I like that a lot. 

Will be interesting to see if they keep Betsey in the GM role permanently or get someone else.

I hope they do. Seems to be the right sort of person for the role. 

I agree, I also think he would learn a lot working with Richo. My only concern is his lack of contacts in Rugby League but working with Richo and Benji he should be able to overcome that.

They were my thoughts as well. I think with Richo & Benji there, there is enough football knowledge. Betsey’s work on pathway systems makes a nice trio. 

hsvjones and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

With Fulton gone the club is taking positive steps to improve the way the club handles recruitment. Committee consisting of Marshall, Richardson & Betsey. I like that a lot. 

Will be interesting to see if they keep Betsey in the GM role permanently or get someone else.

I hope they do. Seems to be the right sort of person for the role. 

I agree, I also think he would learn a lot working with Richo. My only concern is his lack of contacts in Rugby League but working with Richo and Benji he should be able to overcome that.

They were my thoughts as well. I think with Richo & Benji there there is enough football knowledge. Betsey’s work on pathway systems makes a nice trio. 

Yeah I’m ok with that set up too. Be nice to have Bennett in some capacity too if that’s a possibility.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Storm erupts as Wests Tigers boss sacked following months of rumours

After a week of nothing but positive news, the Wests Tigers are suddenly back in the thick of turmoil once again.

Jarome Luai confirms move to Wests Tigers from 2025

After a week of nothing but positive news, the Wests Tigers are back in turmoil.

The struggling NRL club on Tuesday reportedly made a call to part ways with recruitment boss Scott Fulton.

The Daily Telegraph first reported new Tigers CEO Shane Richardson has told Fulton his services are no longer required.

It follows months of rumours surrounding Fulton’s relationship with coach Benji Marshall.

Fulton was famously hired by the club last year to take over as its head of recruitment and retention — a move that was made without Marshall and former coach Tim Sheens being consulted.

According to widespread reports there was tension between Marshall and Fulton right from the start. Fulton was reportedly behind the push for the club to chase Manly five-eighth Josh Schuster — a move that was not supported by Marshall.

The 2005 NRL Grand Final hero took over from Sheens mid-way through the 2023 season and heads into 2024 having a full pre-season as senior coach for the first time.

Benji Marshall says farewell to Luke Brooks. Photo by Izhar Khan/Getty Images.

Benji Marshall says farewell to Luke Brooks. Photo by Izhar Khan/Getty Images.

Fulton’s departure follows the extraordinary carnage of having the club’s former board of directors wiped out in a move made by the joint-venture’s major shareholders in December.

Former chief executive Justin Pascoe also resigned.

Fulton broke his silence after being axed and delivered a subtle shot at the new management in charge of the club.

“It’s disappointing because I had such high hopes for the Wests Tigers and the direction we were heading in with recruitment,” Fulton said to News Corp.

“But I really enjoyed my time under the previous management and what we were able to achieve in a short period.

“These things happen in rugby league and we’ll move on and look for the next opportunity.

I wish the club all the best.”

It hasn’t been smooth sailing at Wests. (Photo by Izhar Khan/Getty Images)

It hasn’t been smooth sailing at Wests. (Photo by Izhar Khan/Getty Images)

Former chairman Lee Hagipantelis repeatedly denied rumours of a rift between Marshall and Fulton — but it has taken just weeks for Richardson and the new board to make a decision on Fulton’s future.

The Tigers had been celebrating a week of recruitment heists following confirmation Jarome Luai will join the club in 2025.

That news was followed by reports the club will soon be able to announce it has also signed Storm centre Justin Olam

It is being reported that Olam only needs to pass a fitness test in the coming days and he’ll be a Tiger immediately, with the Storm willing to accommodate the PNG international’s move and release him from his contract three years early.

Having fallen out of favour at the Storm, Olam has been linked with the Tigers for quite some time now.

Luai, meanwhile, said last week Marshall was one of the reason he is making the jump from the reigning premiers to the struggling Tigers.

Luai’s five-year contract is reportedly worth around $6 million.

Originally published as Storm erupts as Wests Tigers boss sacked following months of rumours

This post was modified 4 months ago by Garry

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Turmoil from where? Fulton camp I suspect. Seems most are happy with the decision. 

hsvjones and Snake reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

I have wanted a more high profile RL man in the role than Betsey, but it could work if Richo stays.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tiger5150

I have wanted a more high profile RL man in the role than Betsey, but it could work if Richo stays.

Agreed would need to be Richo and Betsey working hand in hand.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

NRL news: Sacking of recruitment manager Scott Fulton to spark more changes at Wests Tigers

Interim Wests Tigers CEO Shane Richardson has warned the sacking of recruitment manager Scott Fulton is the start of several impending changes to the club.

Jarome Luai opens up on his move to the West Tigers

Interim Wests Tigers CEO Shane Richardson has flagged further changes at the club over the coming month following the axing of recruitment boss Scott Fulton.

Richardson explained Fulton, as well as two other staff, were cut as a part of a restructure of the football department which will no longer require a recruitment manager.

“We’ve made a few changes in how we want to move forward as a club. Scott’s not the only change we’ve made, and it’s nothing to do with Scott, it’s just that I won’t require a recruitment manager as such,” Richardson said.

“It’s a structure I’ve put in place for the long term of the club.

“It’s unfortunate that Scott doesn’t fit into that, but it’s nothing to do with him as a person or an operator.

“It’s just a different way we’re going to be doing a lot of things in football.”

The changes at the joint venture under the new management structure didn’t stop with Fulton after the Tigers also let go head of wellbeing and education Alan Thompson, as well as a gear steward.

Wests Tigers have parted ways with former recruitment boss Scott Fulton

Wests Tigers have parted ways with former recruitment boss Scott Fulton

The Tigers accepted the findings of an independent review, announced last December, which resulted in CEO Justin Pascoe resigning and being replaced in the interim by Richardson while former NSW Premier, Barry O’Farrell, took over from Lee Hagipantelis as chairman.

Richardson sees the next few months as crucial for turning around the embattled NRL club.

“There’ll be more changes over the next 30-40 days, this is just one of them,” Richardson said.

“Time will tell (if it will be a success) and they’re all hard working people. These are decisions I hate making but for the betterment of the club we’ve got to make calls on what the structure looks like commercially and on the football side, and that’s what I’m employed to do, so we’ll do that over the next period of time.”

hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Justin Olam will join the roster overhaul at Wests Tigers in an immediate shift from Melbourne as recruitment manager Scott Fulton is moved on from the club.

Olam, a premiership-winner and 2020 Dally M centre of the year at the Storm, is set to join the Tigers for 2024 after verbally agreeing to terms with the joint venture on Tuesday.

The 30-year-old Papua New Guinean ranks as one of the better-paid centres in the game after re-signing with Melbourne 18 months ago. The Tigers will pick up the remaining three seasons of that contract, which runs until the end of 2026.

Olam’s signing by the wooden spooners is expected to send back-rower Shawn Blore in the opposite direction given he has already signed with the Storm for 2025 and beyond.

News of Olam’s shift comes on the same day Fulton was informed he was no longer needed as part of the restructuring that’s followed a front office overhaul that dismissed chairman Lee Hagipantelis and Richardson’s predecessor Justin Pascoe.

SMH

hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Wow what an impact Richo has made already, so excited to see where we go as a club over the next 6-12 months.

And all this time, I was told the CEO had no responsibility for the performance of the football department..... what a difference it make to have a football administrator 

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I agree with the comments about Richardson's impact and the sense that the club is heading in a positive direction.

But, let's never forget how all of this came about; a leader of this forum (and his trusted colleagues) launched a petition that garnered support and led to an independent review that resulted in the changes we are now all lauding.

We should never forget that. They must wake every day thinking what the hell have we achieved here?

Amazing!!!!

I suppose it's too late for Australian of the Year nominations?? I know who'd get my vote (if I had one lol).

Dirty Reds, Tiger_Alex, CanberraTiger and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

Posted by: @mercy-rule

I agree with the comments about Richardson's impact and the sense that the club is heading in a positive direction.

But, let's never forget how all of this came about; a leader of this forum (and his trusted colleagues) launched a petition that garnered support and led to an independent review that resulted in the changes we are now all lauding.

We should never forget that. They must wake every day thinking what the hell have we achieved here?

Amazing!!!!

I suppose it's too late for Australian of the Year nominations?? I know who'd get my vote (if I had one lol).

Here here!!!!!!

I still in shock about how the last 4 weeks have played out

The pod team should all be given WT life memberships!

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@mattvtiger)
Junior Pathways

Nice to see an administrator taking responsibility  for their decision. Not hiding behind committees and boards.. 

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @mattvtiger

Nice to see an administrator taking responsibility  for their decision. Not hiding behind committees and boards.. 

Chalk and cheese what he have now compared to where we were.

Mercy Rule and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @frullens

Posted by: @mercy-rule

Amazing!!!!

Here here!!!!!!

I still in shock about how the last 4 weeks have played out

The pod team should all be given WT life memberships!

The only return we want is to be able to enjoy our team again.

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

Posted by: @mattvtiger

That was the biggest realisation that I came to after the December announcement. 

We were being run by committees, where we needed a leaders with full power. (I.e benevolent dictator)

Now Barry has that with the board

Richo has that with the organisation 

And Benji had that with the footy team

Top 8 2023

hsvjones and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 901 / 938
Share: