(@peter-a)
Junior Pathways

Tiger’s Biggest signing ever!

Jedi Tiger and hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball Moderator

Dare I say all the stars are finally aligning for WestsTigers. Make the the WestsTigers great again.😁

Welcome aboard Jerome.

hsvjones and Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Wow, in the space of 3 weeks, it's an entirely different club!

So excited for the future, hopefully we build some momemntum and confidence into 2025 for when JL arrives 

Top 8 2023

hsvjones and Snake reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

At last a quality NRL player signing , I do not think his signing is going to be a major boost he is a quality player for sure but I certainly think unless there is quality put around him he will struggle . He is not an organising half or has a kicking game so what that’s going to bring who knows ..I am not  as excited as most , but it’s good to sign a solid player but the money paid is ridiculous TBH.

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

Great signing hopefully the start of more. An exciting couple of years ahead 

ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Great day for the club. Signals we are back in business when heavyweights like Api, Jerome and Ipap want to be part of the future.

ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@frullens I think the CEO signing is the best thing the club has done for a decade this is a real moment that can create something very special .. the JL signing is good news just a player though but for mine is insignificant to the CEO getting on board as these signings can dramatically change the course of the footy part of the organisation , he has done this previously.. this is what excites me !

Mike, Garry and Mac_Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @snake

At last a quality NRL player signing , I do not think his signing is going to be a major boost he is a quality player for sure but I certainly think unless there is quality put around him he will struggle . He is not an organising half or has a kicking game so what that’s going to bring who knows ..I am not  as excited as most , but it’s good to sign a solid player but the money paid is ridiculous TBH.

0:45 in this highlights......I'd settle for that kicking game and we would have won another couple of games with this kind of kicking game.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/04/29/panthers-v-wests-tigers---round-9-2023/

ReplyQuote
(@tgrzmn)
Junior Pathways

Can Declan please post video of his cartwheeling celebration?

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tgrzmn

Can Declan please post video of his cartwheeling celebration?

I have already asked him. Hopefully it will be coming soon.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@the-frog)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

@snake 100% agree.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Why Penrith Panthers star Jarome Luai signed five-year deal with Wests Tigers

Jarome Luai will become the third highest paid player in the NRL when joins Wests Tigers in 2025. But proving the doubters wrong - including Panthers coach Ivan Cleary - was the true catalyst for joining the wooden spooners.

Luai reveals Benji big role in coming to the Tigers

Jarome Luai wants to be the man.

And he will have $1.2 million to show that he can be after inking a five-year contract to join the Wests Tigers from 2025.

Only Kalyn Ponga and Cameron Munster are set to earn more.

Leaving the three-time defending NRL premiers for the two-time wooden spooners should be a hard sell. But the bumper payday, learning from his idol, Benji Marshall, and proving the doubters wrong – including Panthers coach Ivan Cleary – led to Luai taking on a mega contract that will help provide for his future.

“I’ve seen a few headlines about how he is going from the top to the bottom and it resonated with me because I’m always backing myself to win, no matter where I go,” Luai said.

The decision - Luai full press conference

CLEARY’S COMMENTS

Cleary raised plenty of eyebrows when, in the midst of Luai’s contract talks, he said signing the 26-year-old to a rich contract to run a side would be a “risk”.

“It did shock me a bit, but he’s not lying,” Luai said on Wednesday. “I just had to think about it and really at the end of the day, he was right. I haven’t proven (myself) on the biggest stage yet. That’s what I want to prove to myself.

“I think anyone saying ill about me, motivates me. I’ve always had that edge and that chip on my shoulder. I’ve always been that kind of kid to prove people wrong.

“I’ve got love for Ivan, love for my boys. I didn’t want any of this to get in the way of those relationships.”

Luai addressed Ivan Cleary’s comments about the risk of paying the five-eighth a $1 million a season. Picture: NRL Photos/Fox Sports

Luai addressed Ivan Cleary’s comments about the risk of paying the five-eighth a $1 million a season. Picture: NRL Photos/Fox Sports

Luai skipped training a few days before Christmas after news broke he was leaving the Panthers. He will be back this week.

“It was a bit of a misunderstanding. I’m not going to go into detail about it, but it’s been a tough process,” Luai said of what led to his absence.

“I’ve had to move away from my home and think about that. It was a weird one, that’s why I had to step away for a bit because even we didn’t know what was going on.”

Despite the move in 2025, Luai reaffirmed his commitment to the Panthers for this year and said he was racing the clock to be fit for round one after undergoing off-season shoulder surgery.

WHY THE TIGERS

Put simply, Luai idolised Marshall.

“My first game (watching) rugby league was (the 2005) grand final,” Luai said. “We were out and a camping trip with my family. It inspired me. I had a Tigers towel and I wouldn’t let my mum wash it. I have always been a big fan of Benji. He has seen a lot of himself in me. It was cool to hear it from him.

“He told me I was the guy to get back to their feet. I think I’ve shown that (I can run a team) with my Samoan team at the World Cup. I’ve wanted it ever since.”

Jarome Luai said Marshall played a key role in luring him to Concord. Picture: Richard Dobson

Jarome Luai said Marshall played a key role in luring him to Concord. Picture: Richard Dobson

Benji Marshall landed his first major signing as Wests Tigers coach. Picture: Jeremy Ng/Getty Images

Benji Marshall landed his first major signing as Wests Tigers coach. Picture: Jeremy Ng/Getty Images

Luai said he agonised over the decision, before turning down the chance to join former Penrith assistant Cameron Ciraldo and former Panthers teammates Stephen Crichton, Viliame Kikau, Matt Burton and Jaeman Salmon at Canterbury.

“This is why the process has dragged on for quite a while,” Luai said.

“That was a tough decision. I’ve got a lot of brothers there already. Cam Ciraldo is like my second dad.

“That was pretty tough to turn that away and walk this path alone and face this new challenge.”

REACTION

The signing is a major win for Marshall. It is his first big signing since being appointed head coach, having missed out on a handful of players in recent months.

He said he was “super excited” to land Luai.

“His experience as a genuine premiership-winning playmaker will be great for us and the future of our club,” Marshall said. “We love the way Jarome plays his footy and even better, he is a great person.”

Penrith boss Matt Cameron said the Panthers’ focus was now on ensuring Luai returned to the field.

“We acknowledge that the situation is compounded by salary cap capacity due to the club’s recent success,” Cameron said. “Jarome is in the process of recovering from shoulder surgery that he underwent in October and his rehabilitation to return for the upcoming season is the club’s major priority.”

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

it is now being reported Olam likely to head to St Helens so maybe we will not sign him after all

ReplyQuote
Page 896 / 932
Share: