Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @helmesy

The developing feud between the Tigers and Manly just went up a level.

The Sea Eagles have signed Aitasi James, a boom young lock who played five NRLgames for the Tigers last season.

A tough 22-year-old, James handled the elevation well in a team that struggled to win games and should appreciate playing in the strong Manly pack in 2024.

There has been little love lost between the clubs since recruitment guru Scott Fulton switched camps earlier this year and then the Tigers pinched Manly's promising Fainu brothers.

This latest incident will only add fuel to the fire.

The Mole

There are others I would have let go before James. I think he could develop into a good one

He’s ok, glad we seem to be aiming higher. I don’t think we’ll regret letting him or Seyfarth go

ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @tiger5150

The developing feud between the Tigers and Manly just went up a level.

The Sea Eagles have signed Aitasi James, a boom young lock who played five NRLgames for the Tigers last season.

A tough 22-year-old, James handled the elevation well in a team that struggled to win games and should appreciate playing in the strong Manly pack in 2024.

There has been little love lost between the clubs since recruitment guru Scott Fulton switched camps earlier this year and then the Tigers pinched Manly's promising Fainu brothers.

This latest incident will only add fuel to the fire.

The Mole

There are others I would have let go before James. I think he could develop into a good one

He’s ok, glad we seem to be aiming higher. I don’t think we’ll regret letting him or Seyfarth go

Do you base your "aiming higher" comment on the current WT system providing a steady stream of first graders or some inside knowledge of a pending significant signing? IMO, I think both are losses to the immediate prospects of WT improving.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@mercy-rule Not based on either. I just don't think either of them are very good and if we're looking to get off the bottom of the table neither of those guys (imo) are going to help with that.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

DT reporting Furner gone.

Joel Helmes, Snake and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

@mercy-rule Not based on either. I just don't think either of them are very good and if we're looking to get off the bottom of the table neither of those guys (imo) are going to help with that.

Agree with this. James and Seyfarth and squad players at best. For most clubs they would be 3rd stringers. We need to be aiming much higher 

Snake reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@avocadoontoast There going to need a lot more than Farah staying on as an assistant! Hopefully someone that has no connection to the club with the appropriate experience with be hired , if not next season already looking  like ground hog day!

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @snake

@avocadoontoast There going to need a lot more than Farah staying on as an assistant! Hopefully someone that has no connection to the club with the appropriate experience with be hired , if not next season already looking  like ground hog day!

Morris is already confirmed and I believe another to come in. 

Wasn't impressed with Furner so no great loss. 

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Twal given permission to look elsewhere according to SMH.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

Twal given permission to look elsewhere according to SMH.

clearing out the forwards. Hopefully to balance the squad 

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

From SMH

Tigers cult hero given permission to make immediate switch

Adam Pengilly
ByAdam Pengilly
September 14, 2023 — 5.40am
Save

Cult hero Alex Twal is the latest Tiger to be linked with an exit from the club after being given permission to speak to rivals about an immediate switch.

Twal, who produced one of the moments of the season when he scored his first NRL try after 116 games, is the Tigers’ longest-serving player outside winger David Nofoaluma after Luke Brooks’ exit, and still has a year to run on his contract.

But rival clubs have been alerted to the Lebanese international’s availability for next season despite being one of the most experienced players at the Tigers, who are desperately trying to assemble a squad under Benji Marshall capable of climbing the table.

According to a Tigers source not allowed to speak about the matter publicly, the club would have no issue if he stays put for 2024 but won’t stand in his way if he can secure a long-term deal at an NRL rival.

Several officials at rival clubs spoken to by this masthead have said they have been approached about Twal’s potential signing as the NRL’s silly season kicks into overdrive.

The 27-year-old has been a mainstay of the Tigers’ pack since his debut in 2017 and has developed a cult following, taking jibes about his inability to score an NRL try until this season in good humour.

He finally crossed the stripe in the Tigers’ loss to the Storm at Campbelltown in June, much to the amusement of his ecstatic teammates.

Twal’s uncertain contract status comes at a busy time for the Tigers, who have already extended the contract of captain Api Koroisau until the end of 2026 and tabled a multimillion-dollar offer to fullback Jahream Bula.

Bula, who won the club’s Kelly Barnes Medal as the player of the year despite not making his debut until round eight in his rookie NRL season, has been offered a bumper deal until the end of 2027. It would make him the club’s longest contracted player if he were to accept it.

Twal has developed a reputation as one of the NRL’s nice guys and has produced many tireless displays in the middle, and at one stage was averaging almost 60 minutes a game in 2020 and 2021.

However, with the emergence of Fonua Pole and Justin Matamua to complement front row starters David Klemmer and Stefano Utoikamanu, Twal will be given the opportunity to link with a rival looking for a dependable middle forward.

Marshall will take over as head coach at the Tigers after Tim Sheens’ exit and is already trying to put his stamp on a roster that will welcome halves Aidan Sezer, Jayden Sullivan and Latu Fainu next year. Fainu’s brother Samuela is the club’s other major recruit from the Sea Eagles for next season.

Brooks (Sea Eagles), Daine Laurie (Panthers) and Tommy Talau (Sea Eagles) will leave the club with Alex Seyfarth in talks with the Bulldogs.

Meanwhile, the Dragons have released prop Zane Musgrove from the final year of his contract as Shane Flanagan’s roster rebuild continues.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@doug-heffernan)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

If this is true it's outrageous. The club has no idea

CanberraTiger and Snake reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@doug-heffernan There obviously is a plan moving forward … Twal is reliable but realistically an above average plodder . The squad needs renewing the players at present have  won two spoons in succession.. new blood needs to be brought in and Benji obviously has realised this at last !

851 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

It would be peak Tigers to finally build a competitive pack and then replace some above average plodders with average plodders. Thats my expectation.

In attack Twal is IMO an above average plodder however this year I saw a massive improvement in him with much better footwork, an occassional offload and it seemed better speed at the line which was obviously a result of coaching. I was looking forward to seeing that improvement next year. One of the glimmers of hope I saw this year was the improvement in Twal and Seyfarth.

In defence is where we will really miss Twal. Simply never misses and does a LOT of the heavy defence.

Seyfarth I can accept leaving. James Im nervous about leaving because he is young and could improve. Twal Im worried about leaving. IMO he is the type of forward a pack needs.

Mac_Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
Cqtiger
(@cqtiger)
Junior Pathways

It seems to me that they are thinking they have the likes of Api, Bateman, Klemmer and Ice as good experience so they are letting fringe first graders go to enable our bright juniors play their part.

Considering that quite a few juniors are already in the top 30 squad it kind of makes sense. My only fear is our reserve grade depth is terrible.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @cqtiger

It seems to me that they are thinking they have the likes of Api, Bateman, Klemmer and Ice as good experience so they are letting fringe first graders go to enable our bright juniors play their part.

Considering that quite a few juniors are already in the top 30 squad it kind of makes sense. My only fear is our reserve grade depth is terrible.

Seems to be the case, but I am yet to see (other than Bula) any of our "bright juniors" actually shine. Faagatu and Miller are the only two Im excited about.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 837 / 933
Share: