I know Adam’s not a halfback but either is Latu… Jock’s the only 7 we have. But we aren’t playing finals with Madden at 7. Might be time to go with Latu and Andrews. It’s all a mess if you add in Averillo and O’Sullivan. Either way I don’t think I’ll be watching intently as I am very tired of this mob.@mickb don’t think getting rid of an experienced player in Adam is what the club needs. No matter how you think things went down after his controversy. He must be 125 games in, we can’t let that experience go. No matter what we think Latu can bring.
The only way you’d let Doueihi go as things stand now would be if we had someone coming in with similar experience but was a traditional halfback type, or someone with blistering speed.
I know Adam’s not a halfback but either is Latu… Jock’s the only 7 we have. But we aren’t playing finals with Madden at 7. Might be time to go with Latu and Andrews. It’s all a mess if you add in Averillo and O’Sullivan. Either way I don’t think I’ll be watching intently as I am very tired of this mob.@mickb don’t think getting rid of an experienced player in Adam is what the club needs. No matter how you think things went down after his controversy. He must be 125 games in, we can’t let that experience go. No matter what we think Latu can bring.
The only way you’d let Doueihi go as things stand now would be if we had someone coming in with similar experience but was a traditional halfback type, or someone with blistering speed.
O’Sullivans out, he’s heading for Super League.
Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers since 2018!
https://www.broncos.com.au/teams/nrl-premiership/brisbane-broncos/jack-gosiewski/
Could be coming our way in 2027.
Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers since 2018!
We had rookies cost us multiple games this year with individual errors. Makasini vs Brisbane and Tavana vs Cronulla come to mind.
This highlights the need for more experience in my view.
I know its 15 years since we made finals and that is a long time. But I thought it was worth comparing (with the help of AI) the differences between the 2011 squad and the 2026 squad.
In 2011, we used 14 players that year who had LESS THAN 50 games NRL experience and we played finals.
In 2026, we played 21 players who had less than 50 games NRL experience.
2026 - Under 50 games (21 players):
Vaka Aho, Javon Andrews, Latu Fainu (23), Sione Fainu (37), Mavrik Geyer (14), Jared Haywood, Tristan Hope (5), Josese Lanyon, Luke Laulilii (10), Jock Madden (32), Heamasi Makasini, Heath Mason (14), Taylan May (37), Charlie Murray (5), Kai Pearce-Paul (44 NRL), Ethan Roberts, Solomone Saukuru, Jeral Skelton (24), Tony Sukkar (8), Faaletino Tavana, Junior Tupou (38).WT need to ensure this list of guys plays less games not more in 2027.
Have I misread you, or are you suggesting Latu, Sione, Taylan, KPP and Tupou play less games in 2027? It would need stellar recruiting for that to happen.
https://www.broncos.com.au/teams/nrl-premiership/brisbane-broncos/jack-gosiewski/
Could be coming our way in 2027.
We do need an experienced body in as a third edge forward, but I was hoping we could do better than him.
Just someone for a year or two tops to bridge the gap to Roberts (though I suspect he may end up as a middle).
@mac_tiger Fair question. I was not specific enough in hindsight.
The guys you are mentioning are well past that rookie level and have futures ahead of them (even Tupou who surprised me on the wing on his return)
But the others in that list are the concern. We played too many rookies this year. It's arguable the ONLY rookie who made a positive impression for us this year was Vaka Aho in his one game. I think its no coincidence that he served a longer apprenticeship than all the other rookies we threw in.
By comparison, Harry Grant played 2 full years of Qld Cup, then one year on loan at WT before he got a game for the Melb Storm. The success of that club and others like it are the juniors have to earn their spot. We seem to roll out the red carpet for young guys and it hurts us year after year.
Throwing token games to Lanyon and Tavana well before they are ready is damaging for their confidence and its just not what the good clubs do.
I know Adam’s not a halfback but either is Latu… Jock’s the only 7 we have. But we aren’t playing finals with Madden at 7. Might be time to go with Latu and Andrews. It’s all a mess if you add in Averillo and O’Sullivan. Either way I don’t think I’ll be watching intently as I am very tired of this mob.@mickb don’t think getting rid of an experienced player in Adam is what the club needs. No matter how you think things went down after his controversy. He must be 125 games in, we can’t let that experience go. No matter what we think Latu can bring.
The only way you’d let Doueihi go as things stand now would be if we had someone coming in with similar experience but was a traditional halfback type, or someone with blistering speed.
I don't mind Latu and Andrews for 2027 but one thing is conditional on that selection. There needs to be a serious upgrade in the forwards for us to justify that call. Those young halves would be chewed up and spat out playing behind our current forward pack.
@mac_tiger Fair question. I was not specific enough in hindsight.
The guys you are mentioning are well past that rookie level and have futures ahead of them (even Tupou who surprised me on the wing on his return)
But the others in that list are the concern. We played too many rookies this year. It's arguable the ONLY rookie who made a positive impression for us this year was Vaka Aho in his one game. I think its no coincidence that he served a longer apprenticeship than all the other rookies we threw in.
By comparison, Harry Grant played 2 full years of Qld Cup, then one year on loan at WT before he got a game for the Melb Storm. The success of that club and others like it are the juniors have to earn their spot. We seem to roll out the red carpet for young guys and it hurts us year after year.
Throwing token games to Lanyon and Tavana well before they are ready is damaging for their confidence and its just not what the good clubs do.
Im with you. I posted something similar a few weeks ago re: experience problem.
Need to strike the right balance between youth and experience. This inbalance in 2026 was found out when injuries hit.
Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers since 2018!
NBWT reporting Solomone Saukuru has signed a new two year deal with the Wests Tigers.
Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers since 2018!
Official via Wests TigersNBWT reporting Solomone Saukuru has signed a new two year deal with the Wests Tigers.
Official via Wests TigersNBWT reporting Solomone Saukuru has signed a new two year deal with the Wests Tigers.
Hopefully him and Herbert put lots of pressure on May and Averillo.
And also that this Makasini only eligible for a wing spot next season.
Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers since 2018!
Whilst he has an incredible amount to work on in D, he was pretty impressive with ball in hand.
Wonder if they see him as an edge fwd option in the longer term - he's played there (and wing) coming through.
I’m pretty disappointed the club hasn’t published a list of departing players. I wonder if this means some negotiations are ongoing? Could there be a shock exit being held up by the signing of someone who is still playing for a club in the finals? 🤔
Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers since 2018!