Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @frullens

Posted by: @garry

Was mentioned today on Triple M as well. Read stated that he hasn't been given a look in this year which is just garbage. This is pretty poor from Talau in my opinion

With player signings, I never blame the player, always blame the club. 

The player has to look out for their best interests.

The club, I'd they want them, has to convince that its in their best interests to stay/sign with the club. Best interests aren't always salary, can be game time, on field success, happiness, off field lifestyle, end of career opportunities, etc

If we wanted him,  we should of signed him for longer than 2 years, when he recommitted at the end of last year.

Sounds to me something has happened, in the background.

When he recommitted last year, he hadn't played for 12 months because of a shocking injury that ends many peoples careers. Tigers are open slather for criticism but were incredibly supportive and generous to Talau at that point. At the time I thought it was the wrong decision because he literally hasn't shown or proven anything.

He has played 2 games since September 2021. In that time Tigers have paid him his salary, paid all his medical bills and signed him to a new contract, despite the fact he has never actually shown any promise on the field. I know the knee jerk reaction is to blame the club in every circumstance, but hard to in this case IMO.

Dirty Reds reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

@tiger5150 

When he resigns in October last year - he said '“The club has been so good to me and I want to repay that faith,” 

Then sheens talked him up big time all preaseason. He played 2 games, broke his nose and has been out

How does he change his opinion of the club change in such a short time - unless something has happened behind the scenes?

Top 8 2023

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

@tiger5150 

When he resigns in October last year - he said '“The club has been so good to me and I want to repay that faith,” 

Then sheens talked him up big time all preaseason. He played 2 games, broke his nose and has been out

How does he change his opinion of the club change in such a short time - unless something has happened behind the scenes?

It’s fair to assume that something has happened, especially given Benji was such a big fans of his.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

LoganR21 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

@tiger5150 

Probably $$$

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Probably we just weren’t offering him a deal beyond this year until he demonstrated he was worth one 

Jedi Tiger and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

2 things:

- he's only played 2 games since we signed him for a 12 month deal - so manly taking on almost same risk as we did (most likely more, assuming the deal longer than 12 months)

- second, if it's dollars, manly have DCE & Turbo both on over $1m - plus a bunch of decent players under that - where's our money going? It's cheaper for us to keep talent than bring it in.

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@declan)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball Admin

https://twitter.com/nbwt__/status/1647150450993692672?s=46&t=YqQSmRxPj8iqiy8nCvxUEA

the club needs to sign Sanders. End of story. 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @declan

https://twitter.com/nbwt__/status/1647150450993692672?s=46&t=YqQSmRxPj8iqiy8nCvxUEA

the club needs to sign Sanders. End of story. 

Still a very young kid

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

the club needs to sign Sanders. End of story

Already have

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2021/12/14/wests-tigers-partner-with-kfc/

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

2 things:

- he's only played 2 games since we signed him for a 12 month deal - so manly taking on almost same risk as we did (most likely more, assuming the deal longer than 12 months)

- second, if it's dollars, manly have DCE & Turbo both on over $1m - plus a bunch of decent players under that - where's our money going? It's cheaper for us to keep talent than bring it in.

I don't care, we gave him a deal when no one wanted him and then he played 2 games and asked for a release.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@declan)

@tiger5150 if the last 12 months have proven anything, it’s that we can’t sign our way out of trouble in the halves. We have to take a punt on someone with potential and pair him with some experience. Katoa and O’Sullivan are the perfect example of what we should be trying to replicate next year. 

Dirty Reds, LoganR21, Kenny4517 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

I don't care, we gave him a deal when no one wanted him and then he played 2 games and asked for a release.

If the club are taking that attitude, then we'll keep failing. 

We only signed him for 12 months, he's free to sign with any club for next year, which as a player I would be looking to do as early as possible.

If we wanted him, we should of signed him for 2 year or made an offer at end of preseason.

If he's signed with manly, of course his manager would ask for early release, but we of course can say no.

Kenny was injured all last year - and was moved on to Titans with early release. No one owes anyone anything. It's up to the club to be smart and look after its interests.

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

@tiger5150 if the last 12 months have proven anything, it’s that we can’t sign our way out of trouble in the halves. We have to take a punt on someone with potential and pair him with some experience. Katoa and O’Sullivan are the perfect example of what we should be trying to replicate next year. 

Sanders is 3 years off. Was eligible for Ball this year. Hasnt played KOE has he?

ReplyQuote
(@declan)

@tiger5150 He hasn’t played Cup yet but he’s played a lot of flegg last year so I think he’ll play some reserve grade for the eels. He’s in the exact same situation Katoa was in last year and he’s playing first grade now. Andrew Johns also said that Sanders is one of the only halves in the juniors at the moment who could transition into becoming a Nrl standard number 7.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

If the club are taking that attitude, then we'll keep failing. 

We only signed him for 12 months, he's free to sign with any club for next year, which as a player I would be looking to do as early as possible.

If we wanted him, we should of signed him for 2 year or made an offer at end of preseason.

If he's signed with manly, of course his manager would ask for early release, but we of course can say no.

Kenny was injured all last year - and was moved on to Titans with early release. No one owes anyone anything. It's up to the club to be smart and look after its interests.

Then we should have cut him last year in the middle of his rehab and thrown him to the street without a contract when no one wanted him. I can imagine how the media and fans would have reacted. The club showed him MASSIVE respect and confidence and he has spat in their faces. There is no two ways to paint it. It is ridiculous to suggest that after 2 games into a new playing contract, after more than 12 months since his last game that the club would offer an upgrade. THAT would be a recipe for failure.

Im not convinced he has it anyway.

LoganR21 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 572 / 933
Share: