Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @skippa13

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Last time I felt like that was when Alan Jones coached Balmain (where I stopped watching altogether).

oof, thanks for the reminder. Geez that was a tough period.

Instant trauma response

Skippa13 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@hodgo)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Posted by: @mike

Posted by: @851

@mike No they didn't, Steph started too after spending time in the emerging origin camp, then regressed faster than FOX on an intercept down the wing, Twal hasn't improved in his whole time in first grade, Doueihi I would argue is no better than the bloke we got from souths, Kepoa has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he is even a first grader and Joffa was already playing origin before we got him, I stand by my comment, players actually got worse under his coaching

None of that is true. They all improved under Madge. Steff, Douhie and AJ all had major injuries to overcome which they all did and under Madge they all improved. 

Im with you on this mike!

A fair few posted say they improved but only because they were rookies or bad lol. Did they improve or didnt they ? did it happen under madges watch or didnt it?

Very confusing. For some reason people want to say madge was completely awful which blows my mind. The dude did some really good stuff with the cattle we had. In saying that his time was probably up and thats ok too. But to say he did nothing well and helped no players is really poor imo..

This post was modified 1 year ago by Hodgo

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @hodgo

@mike No they didn't, Steph started too after spending time in the emerging origin camp, then regressed faster than FOX on an intercept down the wing, Twal hasn't improved in his whole time in first grade, Doueihi I would argue is no better than the bloke we got from souths, Kepoa has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he is even a first grader and Joffa was already playing origin before we got him, I stand by my comment, players actually got worse under his coaching

None of that is true. They all improved under Madge. Steff, Douhie and AJ all had major injuries to overcome which they all did and under Madge they all improved. 

A fair few posted say they improved but only because they were rookies or bad lol. Did they improve or didnt they ? did it happen under madges watch or didnt it?

Very confusing. For some reason people want to say madge was completely awful which blows my mind. The dude did some really good stuff with the cattle we had. In saying that his time was probably up and thats ok too. But to say he did nothing well and helped no players is really poor imo..

just to clarify, I don’t think anyone improved under Madge at all. 

Rex2ce, 851, Tiger5150 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Ill jump in here, because I think Im the one you are referring to. A 20yo kid is going to improve for a couple of years as they grow bigger and stronger and get used to the rigors of first grade, regardless of the coach. That is not coaching, that is not development. Taking that raw talent and ability and developing it progressively is coaching and development.

Did Stef continue to improve year on year?

Twal? Has Twal developed an offload or a pass? Has Twal learned to get to his knees in the impact?

Has Adam Doueihi nailed down a position after 3 years at the club? Is AD's defence first grade standard after 3 years?

Go and watch the last 15mins of round 24 last year v Dragons and tell me that AJ improved as a player.

IMO its not confusing at all and I cant imagine how anyone can put together a case that Madge improved any of these players, in fact it is offensive to the players to suggest they would be worse without Madge.

Avo and 851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@851)
Junior Pathways

100% agree, and I outlined this in the post above

Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

I can actually think of one. IMO Luciano Leilua improved significantly under Madge.

Unfortunately IMO he is the only one and I've flogged to death my opinion regarding Stef, Twal etc in other posts, but the list of players who improved enough to look like a first grader and then stopped developing during this time is as long as our squad list. Think of players like Garner, Tuilagi, Mikaele, Liddle, Musgrove, Seyfarth, who showed themselves as worthy of first grade and then just lieterally never got any better, if not worse. for mine Tuilagi is the best example.

MickeyB, 851, Avo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @tiger5150

I can actually think of one. IMO Luciano Leilua improved significantly under Madge.

Unfortunately IMO he is the only one and I've flogged to death my opinion regarding Stef, Twal etc in other posts, but the list of players who improved enough to look like a first grader and then stopped developing during this time is as long as our squad list. Think of players like Garner, Tuilagi, Mikaele, Liddle, Musgrove, Seyfarth, who showed themselves as worthy of first grade and then just lieterally never got any better, if not worse. for mine Tuilagi is the best example.

Some of them reached their potential - it’s just their potential is not great 😆

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

BrooksCoin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @helmesy

Some of them reached their potential - it’s just their potential is not great 😆

Its an important point and IMO the our hopes in 2023 revolve around how much untapped potential lurks within our squad.

FWIW, IMO the following players have not yet reached their potential:

Laurie

Doueihi

Seyfarth

Twal

Kepaoa

Simpkin

Joffa,

Tupou

Brooks (ducks head)

Blore

Talau

Stef

To'a

Players who have tapped their limits,

Noffa

Ken

That leaves a heap of kids that are unknowns like Pole, Saukaru, Rua, Fainu, and then all the new guys like Api, Ice, Klem etc.

IMO that leaves massive scope for improvement, or maybe Ive just over rated these players....opinions? Who have I over rated and who has actual maxxed out potential?

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Douhie's best season was the one with souths when he played fullback in the semi finals series he killed it. He came here under Madge as a fullback and was ordinary 

Don't think Madge improved any of our players 

Joel Helmes and 851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Douhie's best season was the one with souths when he played fullback in the semi finals series he killed it. He came here under Madge as a fullback and was ordinary 

Spot on. AD was really good that year for Souths. Super consistent and good defensively. It's like he's forgotten how to play.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Spot on. AD was really good that year for Souths. Super consistent and good defensively. It's like he's forgotten how to play.

Whilst we are imagining what is going on in other peoples heads, I dont think he has forgotten how to play, IMO he has the wrong idea of his role in the team. When he was at Souffs, he was a new kid just coming through, in a good squad. Here, I think he thinks he is the good player in a poor team and from that stems all the "I'm the no6" stuff. IMO Douiehi and Noffa and few others have to rethink and realise that they are part of the reason we are rubbish and go back to just playing their part in the team structure. Dare I say it, a leaf out of Joffas book.

MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Whilst we are imagining what is going on in other peoples heads, I dont think he has forgotten how to play, IMO he has the wrong idea of his role in the team. When he was at Souffs, he was a new kid just coming through, in a good squad. Here, I think he thinks he is the good player in a poor team and from that stems all the "I'm the no6" stuff. IMO Douiehi and Noffa and few others have to rethink and realise that they are part of the reason we are rubbish and go back to just playing their part in the team structure. Dare I say it, a leaf out of Joffas book.

I pretty much agree with what you've said, but it doesn't explain why he can't defend anymore. He was a solid defender at Souths. His defence now is atrocious.

Joel Helmes and 851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

I pretty much agree with what you've said, but it doesn't explain why he can't defend anymore. He was a solid defender at Souths. His defence now is atrocious.

Defence is an attitude.

Im probably massively maligning Doueihi unfairly, but all this is is my opinion.....its the vibe.

ReplyQuote
(@hodgo)
Wests Tigers Supporter

looks like we all agree to disagree.

hsvjones and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

I don't think he was ever a great defender, he used to get run over a lot front on. Now it just seems that he doesn't even get in front of the defender on a lot of occasions.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 394 / 933
Share: