Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @851

@momo-amp-medo Agree 100%, Madge had one style and one style only, he coached to that, he didn't have the players to carry it out, but he couldn't change. Not one player improved under his coaching, he was a diabolical failure, and should have been sacked at the end of 2021

I’ll raise you

Stefano Utoikamanu

Alex Twal

Adam Doueihi

Asu Kepaoa

Joe Ofahengaue

All improved under Madge and that’s just the immediate that spring to mind. 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@tiger5150 agree teddy was good while he was here and probably a standout in any team.  look at Moses he kicked on in the halves around good players mainly forwards. 

JAC and koro also improved when out of the Tigers system. Woods would be the only one who has not really improved. 

ReplyQuote
MOMO-AMP-MEDO
(@momo-amp-medo)
Junior Pathways

@mike Well you must see some great improvement in those players under Madge coaching ….. but I don’t.

Rex2ce, 851 and Blaze reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @mike

@momo-amp-medo Agree 100%, Madge had one style and one style only, he coached to that, he didn't have the players to carry it out, but he couldn't change. Not one player improved under his coaching, he was a diabolical failure, and should have been sacked at the end of 2021

I’ll raise you

Stefano Utoikamanu

Alex Twal

Adam Doueihi

Asu Kepaoa

Joe Ofahengaue

I’m not sure I agree with this Mike. Stefano and Joe O, yes. Twal is consistent and AJ was coming off a pretty low base, especially based around his stints on the wing. Doueihi showed glimpses.

Its on Sheens and co now to really show what they can do, I hope they can get more from our guys than what Madge managed.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

1. Posted by: @mike

I’ll raise you

Stefano Utoikamanu

Alex Twal

Adam Doueihi

Asu Kepaoa

Joe Ofahengaue

strongly disagree with this. 

Stef improved due to the fact he grew from an 18yo to a 20yo and got used to first grade but then quickly plateaued if not regressed. There has been no progression in his game. 

alex Twal likewise improved as he got used to first grade but other than his defence the glaring holes in his game remain unaddressed. Predictable, no offload, no impact at the line. Again, no progression in his game. 

AD improved (maybe) slightly but it is simply a case of getting used to first grade but quickly regressed and the glaring deficiencies remain such as poor defence and poor choices in passing. No progression. 

joffa previously played SOO but hasn’t looked that level here. No idea if he is a middle or lock. No progression. 

Go and rewatch the end of round 24 v Dragons and explain to me how Madge made Asu a better player. 

IMO the players you mentioned are classic examples of Madges inabilities to develop a player. 

Rex2ce reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

I’ll raise you

Stefano Utoikamanu

Alex Twal

Adam Doueihi

Asu Kepaoa

Joe Ofahengaue

Sorry Mike but that list isn't positive for Madge at all. Firstly Stef and AJ were rookies so you can only really look at how their game has developed in time. Stef was really good year one but year two was a write off because Madge played him injured. AJ hasn't developed his game at all.

Twal is the perfect player for Madge because he's so one dimensional, but he didn't improve. He didn't develop his game at all. He still can't pass.

AD was probably better at Souths in his rookie year. It's why us and the Roosters went so hard for him. His game hasn't developed at all since joining. Defensively he's gone backwards.

Joe O was an origin player prior to joining us. He hasn't really gone backwards but he hasn't improved his game anywhere.

And that's the point with Madge, noone improved. At best they remained stagnant like Twal. Most players went backwards big time. He was a terrible coach that had no idea how to develop players or create/execute a game plan. I put him below Terry Lamb as WT's worst ever coach. 

851 and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@momo-amp-medo Here here  as it was , Maguire should of been punted the year before .. the presentation of the team and game plans were rubbish , the fitness of the players was questionable as well . Players did not improve some actually regressed , Maguire is where he should be an assistant coach .No need to look any further than each year of his coaching tenure at the Tigers the team slipped down the ladder … No blame for the spoon that was Sheens present if Gardiner would of been given the temp position no way the club would of gotten the Spoon.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@851 Yep different attitude and to be frank that’s the difference between the two .It’s all about attitude and drive Moses is the Tiger .. Luke is a lamb !

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Posted by: @helmesy

I’ll raise you

Stefano Utoikamanu

Alex Twal

Adam Doueihi

Asu Kepaoa

Joe Ofahengaue

I’m not sure I agree with this Mike. Stefano and Joe O, yes. Twal is consistent and AJ was coming off a pretty low base, especially based around his stints on the wing. Doueihi showed glimpses.

Its on Sheens and co now to really show what they can do, I hope they can get more from our guys than what Madge managed.

They all improved under Madge. So no one can say not one player improved under Madge’s coaching, that is just not true. 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

I’ll raise you

Stefano Utoikamanu

Alex Twal

Adam Doueihi

Asu Kepaoa

Joe Ofahengaue

Sorry Mike but that list isn't positive for Madge at all. Firstly Stef and AJ were rookies so you can only really look at how their game has developed in time. Stef was really good year one but year two was a write off because Madge played him injured. AJ hasn't developed his game at all.

Twal is the perfect player for Madge because he's so one dimensional, but he didn't improve. He didn't develop his game at all. He still can't pass.

AD was probably better at Souths in his rookie year. It's why us and the Roosters went so hard for him. His game hasn't developed at all since joining. Defensively he's gone backwards.

Joe O was an origin player prior to joining us. He hasn't really gone backwards but he hasn't improved his game anywhere.

And that's the point with Madge, noone improved. At best they remained stagnant like Twal. Most players went backwards big time. He was a terrible coach that had no idea how to develop players or create/execute a game plan. I put him below Terry Lamb as WT's worst ever coach.

i was nodding along in furious agreement until your final sentence. I'd have him above Lamb (based purely on intent and commitment if nothing else) and sliding slightly higher than JT based on none of the players wanting to punch him.

ReplyQuote
(@851)
Junior Pathways

@mike No they didn't, Steph started too after spending time in the emerging origin camp, then regressed faster than FOX on an intercept down the wing, Twal hasn't improved in his whole time in first grade, Doueihi I would argue is no better than the bloke we got from souths, Kepoa has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he is even a first grader and Joffa was already playing origin before we got him, I stand by my comment, players actually got worse under his coaching

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by 851

Rex2ce reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

@mike No they didn't, Steph started too after spending time in the emerging origin camp, then regressed faster than FOX on an intercept down the wing, Twal hasn't improved in his whole time in first grade, Doueihi I would argue is no better than the bloke we got from souths, Kepoa has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he is even a first grader and Joffa was already playing origin before we got him, I stand by my comment, players actually got worse under his coaching

None of that is true. They all improved under Madge. Steff, Douhie and AJ all had major injuries to overcome which they all did and under Madge they all improved. 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

@tiger5150 It's a tough one. I think it's because with Lamb I had zero expectations and he delivered nothing. I put Taylor ahead of Maguire. I despised everything about Taylor but I enjoyed watching us more when he was coaching than I did with Madge. With Madge I got almost no enjoyment out of watching the Tigers play. Last time I felt like that was when Alan Jones coached Balmain (where I stopped watching altogether).

Tiger5150, 851 and Skippa13 reacted
ReplyQuote
Skippa13
(@skippa13)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Last time I felt like that was when Alan Jones coached Balmain (where I stopped watching altogether).

oof, thanks for the reminder. Geez that was a tough period.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

It is what it is. Sheens will be judged as harshly as Madge if we fail again. There is no doubt we failed with Madge and therefore his tenor must be graded a C at best.

851, Jedi Tiger and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 393 / 940
Share: