Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

@mercy-rule you haven’t been impressed with what Sheens has done so far since taking the helm?

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@hsvjones)
Junior Pathways

Sheen's has done and outstanding job so far turning this place round... People might not like how he has gone about it but gee wiz we have turned over a lot of players and upgraded in nearly every replacement. 

He came in and basically observed for a while and not made knee jerk decisions.  He will 100% give young players a go and not scared to do so but also addressed our biggest concern IMO... Leadership from experienced player like Api, Papa, Klemmer, Bateman if true and targeting Moses..   Its a great balance and no way in hell we get the spoon next year. 

For the Madge lovers I liked Madge as well but he took over a dogs breakfast with regards to players etc.. and just got burnt out and blind freddy knows it was the right decision to let him go.  I would of given let Ben Gardiner take over instead of Brett K but that's just MO. 

Fingers Crossed we can get Moses over the line as that would be a massive piece with his game control and kicking in play and goals. 

Salty, 851, Frullens and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Celtic_Tiger
(@celtic_tiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

@mercy-rule you haven’t been impressed with what Sheens has done so far since taking the helm?

I’d say it’s been a bit of a mixed bag to be honest.

Extending Madge’s tenure only to sack him, the public courting of Ciraldo and the appointment of Kimmorley over a Gardner as interim coach were all disastrous decisions which basically torpedoed last season. I also think it was a mistake not to retain Hastings, my opinion only.

On the other hand he has made some good signings while moving on some deadwood from the squad and if he manages to get Moses over the line it will be our best signing in many years.

Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @hsvjones

Sheen's has done and outstanding job so far turning this place round... People might not like how he has gone about it but gee wiz we have turned over a lot of players and upgraded in nearly every replacement. 

He came in and basically observed for a while and not made knee jerk decisions.  He will 100% give young players a go and not scared to do so but also addressed our biggest concern IMO... Leadership from experienced player like Api, Papa, Klemmer, Bateman if true and targeting Moses..   Its a great balance and no way in hell we get the spoon next year. 

For the Madge lovers I liked Madge as well but he took over a dogs breakfast with regards to players etc.. and just got burnt out and blind freddy knows it was the right decision to let him go.  I would of given let Ben Gardiner take over instead of Brett K but that's just MO. 

Fingers Crossed we can get Moses over the line as that would be a massive piece with his game control and kicking in play and goals. 

I agree, Sheens has done a great job. Madge was a disaster. Couldn’t coach or recruit to save his life.

851 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @celtic_tiger

Extending Madge’s tenure only to sack him, the public courting of Ciraldo and the appointment of Kimmorley over a Gardner as interim coach were all disastrous decisions which basically torpedoed last season. I also think it was a mistake not to retain Hastings, my opinion only.

On the other hand he has made some good signings while moving on some deadwood from the squad and if he manages to get Moses over the line it will be our best signing in many years.

Sheens never extended Madge. That was the board. Sheens got more responsibility because they decided to stick with Madge into 2022. The season was gone long before Madge was actually sacked imo.

What he's done with regards to roster management has been excellent. Managing to move on Liddle, Musgrove and Peachey was particularly good management.

I think we can all say that we're a lot more bullish on 2023 than we were heading into 2022

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Getting Moses back would be massive for the club, a possible organisation changing moment. I’m still not convinced he’s coming, but I’m glad they are shooting high.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

He didn't extend Madge's tenure, he just didn't sack him, I have no problem with that decision as he was new to the club and I have done the same in similar situations where you want to observe how the organisation is operating before making big decisions like that. He observed for 6 months and then made the decision, that is good practice in my opinion.

I think the public chase of Ciraldo was badly handled but we may have ended up in a better position. I would have preferred Gardiner over Kimmorley but it appears that Gardiner wasn't in the future plans and Kimmorley is. 

I would have kept Hastings as well but if you don't view him as a half then it is hard to justify the $900k price tag and I understand that argument.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @garry

He didn't extend Madge's tenure, he just didn't sack him, I have no problem with that decision as he was new to the club and I have done the same in similar situations where you want to observe how the organisation is operating before making big decisions like that. He observed for 6 months and then made the decision, that is good practice in my opinion.

I think the public chase of Ciraldo was badly handled but we may have ended up in a better position. I would have preferred Gardiner over Kimmorley but it appears that Gardiner wasn't in the future plans and Kimmorley is. 

I would have kept Hastings as well but if you don't view him as a half then it is hard to justify the $900k price tag and I understand that argument.

sheens stated at the time of Madge’s sacking that a big part of it was that he didn’t want Madge to be making recruiting decisions for a team that he wasn’t going to coach. In my view that was a great decision and the right decision given how long it has taken in the past to turn over a roster. My belief is that sheens felt that ciraldo was 90% committed to the tigers and that previously he had stated that he wouldn’t take a job from another job who was already employed - bulldogs had already sacked their coach so there was high risk they would miss out on ciraldo. In the end ciraldo goes to dogs anyway and sheens opts for Benji and first thing he does is get Benji to work on the roster with the view that all signings for 2025 season must be Benjis. I think a lot of credit should go to Benji on the roster management we have seen post Madge (cutting players we don’t want and not extending players not in the long term plans). 

Blaze, 851 and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Sheens never extended Madge. That was the board. Sheens got more responsibility because they decided to stick with Madge into 2022. The season was gone long before Madge was actually sacked imo.

What he's done with regards to roster management has been excellent. Managing to move on Liddle, Musgrove and Peachey was particularly good management.

I think we can all say that we're a lot more bullish on 2023 than we were heading into 2022

I'm not a Madge or a Sheens fan,  I'm a WT fan. 

Madge had his issues, but I wanted to say he did the hard yards to get us into a salary cap position where Sheens can now be bullish. The cap cleary have Madge was a disaster and poor Madge had to cop it for his tenure. 

On signings, I do note Ice and Api were signed under Madge.  Sheens had signed klemmer and stains, and got rid of our best halfback in the process. Moving on players had been good,  but again that is thanks to then being signed up to reasonable contracts that enable them to be easily moved on. 

I'm excited about how things are shaping up for this and next year. And think Sheens is doing a great job now he's coach. 

But I wasn't happy with how he treated the season after sacking Madge. It treated the fans with no respect. 

Fingers crossed this year makes up for it - which can only be done if we make the 8.....

This post was modified 1 year ago by Frullens

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@celtic_tiger how do you know that the motive was to win with BK ? For me it was as much about developing BK as it was winning nrl games . I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he’s the inaugural women’s team coach, especially when there was great emphasis on the strategy of developing coaching systems as well as player growth .  
I dunno. It’s still crap they punted the season away though . It was like pulling teeth those last 10 or so games

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Posted by: @lestronge

@celtic_tiger how do you know that the motive was to win with BK ? For me it was as much about developing BK as it was winning nrl games . I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he’s the inaugural women’s team coach, especially when there was great emphasis on the strategy of developing coaching systems as well as player growth .  
I dunno. It’s still crap they punted the season away though . It was like pulling teeth those last 10 or so games

Listen to the SEN interview BK did at the end of the season,  where he said he say on the bathroom floor and cried. And he said something along the lines of he understood what Paul Green was going through. 

That's not how you develop coaches. He had no support.

Top 8 2023

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @frullens

Madge had his issues, but I wanted to say he did the hard yards to get us into a salary cap position where Sheens can now be bullish. The cap cleary have Madge was a disaster and poor Madge had to cop it for his tenure. 

On signings, I do note Ice and Api were signed under Madge.  Sheens had signed klemmer and stains, and got rid of our best halfback in the process. Moving on players had been good,  but again that is thanks to then being signed up to reasonable contracts that enable them to be easily moved on. 

I'm excited about how things are shaping up for this and next year. And think Sheens is doing a great job now he's coach. 

But I wasn't happy with how he treated the season after sacking Madge. It treated the fans with no respect. 

Fingers crossed this year makes up for it - which can only be done if we make the 8.....

The cap wasn't in amazing shape, i'll grant you that, but he still had over $1m to try and sign Mitchell. I also think if Cleary had of remained the roster he put together would have been competitive, the problem was that Madge couldn't get anything out of them. I also think, even after 3.5 years at the club, the roster he built was worse than the one he inherited, so the use of any cap he did have wasn't great.

I agree with you that the season was written off halfway through the season, but sometimes you have to make those tough decisions. I think we're a better club now because of it.

I'm super bullish on '23, I think we're going to surprise some people.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @frullens

The cap wasn't in amazing shape, i'll grant you that, but he still had over $1m to try and sign Mitchell. I also think if Cleary had of remained the roster he put together would have been competitive, the problem was that Madge couldn't get anything out of them. I also think, even after 3.5 years at the club, the roster he built was worse than the one he inherited, so the use of any cap he did have wasn't great.

I agree with you that the season was written off halfway through the season, but sometimes you have to make those tough decisions. I think we're a better club now because of it.

I'm super bullish on '23, I think we're going to surprise some people.

We were front loading guys and upgrading young players to fill the squad in June every year, we had space in the cap.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

The CBA is expected to be settled this week and reports say this has held up player contracts being sorted for 2023 and beyond.

I don’t think we’ll hear anything until that is locked down regarding Nathan Brown, John Bateman or the future of Mitch Moses.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

hsvjones, tiger badge and 851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

I wonder if we can sign Moses for 2024, if the Tigers would consider offering Parramatta Adam Douhie and Jake Simpkin for 2023 in exchange for an early release for Moses 

hsvjones and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 375 / 941
Share: