Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@dirty-reds)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Laulilii is miles away from being a consistent first grader. Needs a lot more time in Flegg/NSW cup. We need a bridge to him and some of the other kids, so a short term deal for someone from outside is a must. 

Montoya is not a world beater but he's another big body, which is a huge point of difference to whatever we've rolled out on the wings recently. He and Skelton would give our sets a great start. 

Russtutty63, MickeyB, Mike and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @dirty-reds

Laulilii is miles away from being a consistent first grader. Needs a lot more time in Flegg/NSW cup. We need a bridge to him and some of the other kids, so a short term deal for someone from outside is a must. 

Montoya is not a world beater but he's another big body, which is a huge point of difference to whatever we've rolled out on the wings recently. He and Skelton would give our sets a great start. 

Correct. Hopefully it’s just a two year deal.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Jack Bird has dispelled any notion that he is heading to the Wests Tigers for a swansong contract by declaring he wants to play until he’s 34.

The premiership-winner has also revealed that his decision to sign with the wooden spoon club was to help lead Benji Marshall’s side back to the finals for the first time in 13-years.

The St George-Illawarra utility has broken his silence on departing the Dragons to join the Wests Tigers on a two-year deal.

The 29-year-old was unable to farewell Dragons fans against the Raiders at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Saturday after withdrawing due to back spasms in the lead-up to the match.

The two-year deal with the Wests Tigers will take Bird’s career to an 11th season in the NRL, an extraordinary feat given his well-publicised injury battles that have included three knee reconstructions and rheumatoid arthritis.

“The way that I’ve bounced back from my injuries I’ve been pretty resilient, most people would’ve given up,’’ Bird told this masthead.

“I had three ACL surgeries over my career, rheumatoid arthritis, so to think back when my career started that I would still be playing, I’d say no way.

“But the way I’m going now, I feel like my body is holding up well and I can get through until I’m 32, even 34 hopefully.

“I actually feel great, so I don’t see this as my final contract.

“Obviously the road is getting shorter, but I feel like I’ve still got a bit to go.

“I’m only 29 and by the time the Tigers contract is over, I’ll be turning 32 and I still think I can keep going if not in the NRL, then overseas.’’

The Wests Tigers will be Bird’s fourth club after previous stints at the Sharks, Broncos and Dragons, spanning 157 NRL games.

The former NSW Origin representative and 2016 premiership-winning centre said he was excited to be part of the Wests Tigers rebuild.

“I still think that I’ve got some good footy left in me and I like the way the Tigers are heading,’’ Bird said.

“I’m looking forward to going there and helping change their culture a bit and get them back into the finals.

“I want to challenge myself. I’m probably going to have a bigger role than any previous role I’ve had at a club.

“They’ve signed some great players and they’ve bought me for a reason to show the younger guys how to train and how to win.
“I’m excited.

“The only way is up for the Tigers. They’ve won three consecutive wooden spoons and that doesn’t bother me because I look at the squad they’ve got and they’ve got some great young players. The way I see it, if you’re not in the top eight, you may as well come last anyway.

“If we screw our heads on right at training we can go a long way.’’

Bird added that he held no animosity towards the Dragons after originally wanting to extend his future with the Red-V.

“I spoke to Flanno (Shane Flanagan) and he understands. He said he just wouldn’t have known until next year if there was a contract for me and I understand that,’’ Bird said.

“I love the club, I love the boys, I’m going to miss everyone for sure. There’s no bad blood whatsoever and I’m leaving on good terms.

Daily Tele

This post was modified 1 week ago by Joel Helmes

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@dirty-reds This all makes sense and there certainly looks like certain players have been earmarked for NRL within 2 seasons . At long last there is a definite plan to blood the young talent and this keeps the vultures away as these kids can see a spot within 2 seasons with no  blocking the positions all up to them know ! 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

The Bird and Montoya signings if true have surprised me and not in a god way. I would have thought those roster spots could have been better prioritised with two more forwards. Bird is a good player but injuries have gotten the better of him and Montoya, well, he is just average.  

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

1. Bula

2. Skelton

3. Olam

4. Bird

5. turuva 

not thrilled at all re Montoya if true, pretty underwhelming 

Eastiemagpie reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @snake

@dirty-reds This all makes sense and there certainly looks like certain players have been earmarked for NRL within 2 seasons . At long last there is a definite plan to blood the young talent and this keeps the vultures away as these kids can see a spot within 2 seasons with no  blocking the positions all up to them know ! 

Im not sure I agree with this. Hunt didn’t deserve a 3 year contract at 29 years old. 

Bird has a 2 year contract yet you wouldn’t bet on him to play more than 50% of matches. 

I’ve always thought our best way off the bottom was /is to raid the NSW Cup and sign the best players in that competition. 

I support the Jeral Skelton signing for this reason. 

Eastiemagpie reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @eastiemagpie

The Bird and Montoya signings if true have surprised me and not in a god way. I would have thought those roster spots could have been better prioritised with two more forwards. Bird is a good player but injuries have gotten the better of him and Montoya, well, he is just average.  

I think Montoya has a stronger carry than say Charlie Staines. 

Montoya is managed by Liam Ayoub for what it’s worth. 

I suspect the players we’ll be linked with this summer will be Ayoub and Tartak clients for the most part. 

ReplyQuote
(@the-frog)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

@mercy-rule Mmmm, that's the best you could come up with?

Fun Fact:
The night vision of frogs appears to be superior to that of all other animals (that includes you). They have the ability to see colour even when it is so dark that humans are not able to see anything at all, including the bleeding obvious............

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

1. Bula

2. Skelton

3. Olam

4. Bird

5. turuva 

I would be quite disappointed to see Bird in the centres. Surely he will be playing the Bateman role in the forwards.

Teddy_S and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @helmesy

The way I see it, if you’re not in the top eight, you may as well come last anyway.

“If we screw our heads on right at training we can go a long way.’’

That's an interesting view from Bird. I'm not sure the fans and members parting with their hard-earned feel the same about finishing last being as acceptable as 9th.

Let's hope he sets the standard for better outcomes from training.

ReplyQuote
Lorenzo
(@lorenzo)

I'm ok with the Bird and potentially Montoya signing. We need experience in our squad, whether that be in first grade or in opposed training sessions and playing KOE bringing the young guys through. WE WILL NOT win a premiership before 2027 and by then it will be with the likes of Galvin, Latu, Makasini, Luallili, Large, Bula, TDS, Luai, Turuva, Mason, Miller, Sam fainu etc... this is Benji and Richo making sure these kids get the development they need learning off players that have been successful and yet do not block their progress. Yes the risk in this is that these guys are closer to the end of their careers than the beginning and it increases their risk of injury, however for me that is all part and parcel of developing the young kids...less expectation on them when they have to fill in for an injured player than getting promoted fulltime to a position too early because we don't have any other option.

ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@lorenzo, they are all good points you make. My fear is that not all of those young guys coming through will still be at WT if significant development and improvement in results doesn't happen during season 2025. And, who can blame them? They need look no further than the form and status of Luke Brooks and Tommy Talau at their new club in 2024 to workout there is a future elsewhere if WT can't improve.

hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
Lorenzo
(@lorenzo)

@mercy-rule I do worry we will lose some of these guys. However I do see us moving up the ladder next year, especially with the quality of the spine we will have as well as a solid off season from the kids that have had a taste of what it takes to be NRL players this year. What I did note when listening to some of the kids during the behind the roar episodes, was the way they spoke about some of the more experienced players offering advice and taking them under their wing. Hopefully players like Bird and Montoya who have had successful careers can do the same and only add to this.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

1. Bula

2. Skelton

3. Olam

4. Bird

5. turuva 

I would be quite disappointed to see Bird in the centres. Surely he will be playing the Bateman role in the forwards.

don't think Montoya is that much of an upgrade on what we have, I would rather we buy another forward. 

we have missed Corey H I guess we sign hetherington from Brisbane now

ReplyQuote
Page 1046 / 1056
Share: