Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Home ground Thread

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @garry

Wests Tigers respond to reports of vile fan behaviour at Leichhardt Oval

The Wests Tigers have said they are “appalled” by reports of anti-social fan behaviour at the historic Leichhardt Oval when the underdogs resoundingly trounced the Sharks on Saturday night.

Fans at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday night. No-one depicted is accused of any wrongdoing. Photo: Tom Parrish

Fans at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday night. No-one depicted is accused of any wrongdoing. Photo: Tom Parrish

The Wests Tigers have denounced reports of anti-social behaviour among its spectators at Leichhardt Oval as the home team resoundingly triumphed over the Sharks on Saturday.

The Daily Telegraph and Inner West Courier reported to the club that fans wearing its colours were heard making homophobic, racist and misogynist comments throughout the round three match-up on Saturday night.

Fans in Tigers jerseys on the hill at Leichhardt were heard to be yelling “pussy” and “gay c--ts” at players, and shouting Fijian slang at Sharks players of Pacific Islander appearance.

Men in the same group were also heard to sing made-up lyrics to the Sharks team song Up Up Cronulla referring to sexually assaulting women, and almost knocking an elderly man to the ground while pushing and shoving.

Spectators from both the Sharks and Tigers were also subjected to a particularly grim display in which a Tigers fan put his hand inside his underwear and wiped it across the mouth of a another man wearing a Sharks jersey.

“We are appalled by this behaviour,” a Wests Tigers spokesman said.

“As we do after all games, we will liaise with the security firm, which is used on match days at Leichhardt Oval, and review any reported incidents from Saturday night.”

Thousands of football fans flock to Leichhardt Oval to watch the West Tigers play to Cronulla Sharks. No-one depicted is accused of any wrongdoing. Photo: Tom Parrish

Thousands of football fans flock to Leichhardt Oval to watch the West Tigers play to Cronulla Sharks. No-one depicted is accused of any wrongdoing. Photo: Tom Parrish

The spokesman acknowledged “myriad problems” with squeezing a capacity crowd into an archaic stadium.

The Tigers’ beloved historic home-ground has long been overlooked for funding, with facilities in severe disrepair – much to the dismay of many sporting clubs and codes who use the suburban ground known fondly as the eighth wonder of the world.

“Adequate policing of the Hill is one of many challenges at this venue in its current state,” the spokesman said.

“The level of police and security at games is determined by the projected crowd – the police presence was at the maximum number for Saturday’s attendance figure.

“Security can be increased, and it would appear that this something we need to do for future games.”

The spokesman said responsible service of alcohol was ultimately a matter for the ground’s contracted food and drink providers – but promised to communicate concerns to Inner West Council.

The club is also planning to conduct a review of their stadium policy, with the spokesman saying any ground that hosts Wests Tigers games must be fit for purpose.

“Leichhardt Oval, for all its mystique and heritage, does not provide what Wests Tigers fans and rugby league fans deserve,” the spokesman said.

“Again, what (has been) described is abhorrent and should never happen.

“As we do after all games we review the security report, and it does indeed sound like better controls need to be put in place going forward for future games.”

I have friends who are sharks supporters and they sat on the hill. I got messages from them on Saturday night saying they were concerned about the behaviour of some people around them.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@yanni)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Posted by: @yanni

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Playing out of LO in its current state is managed decline. The new management has much bigger ambitions and despite going to LO for the last 35 years it is clear to me that its time is passed. I am trying to bring my 3 kids into the club as the future members and despite my love of standing on the hill drinking tinnies, it cannot cater for these new members. Literally it has no where to put them. There is basically no decent members seats still available and we have the lowest membership base in the league. 

there is still members seats in the latchem stand sat either side of me to 4 sharks fans who bought tickets on the Tuesday $65 a seat. There are seats available no members taking them I guess... 

Don't know what place is the answer, CSS is not unless it gets an upgrade.

That leaves us with the nig stadium which are great for parking and convenience  but they lack something 

if we move and lose membership  and we don't increase our membership over yhe next few years we are in a hell of a lot of trouble. We may have plenty of the corporates sipping champagne but if we don't get actually members we are in trouble. If Richo moves stadiums and we don't get a membership bounce back then the board will need to look at it. Conversely if we get  an increase I  membership then he has pulled the right reign probably will take a few seasons to see the outcome

Jedi winning and making finals will take care of membership 

that is true winning does solve plenty of things

on the pkus side if we do go to Accor we will not need to buy a membership, as you will not need to secure a seat it holds 80k...

I am sure Richo has a plan, cheaper memberships perhaps ? or is it more prawn dumplings in the corporate suites ? 

Jedi I don’t know about others but I have bought my membership over many years not to secure my seats but to support the club and show my stripes 

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @helmesy

The Wests Tigers have said they are “appalled” by reports of anti-social fan behaviour at the historic Leichhardt Oval when the underdogs resoundingly trounced the Sharks on Saturday night.

The Wests Tigers have denounced reports of anti-social behaviour among its spectators at Leichhardt Oval as the home team resoundingly triumphed over the Sharks on Saturday.

The Daily Telegraph and Inner West Courier reported to the club that fans wearing its colours were heard making homophobic, racist and misogynist comments throughout the round three match-up on Saturday night.

Fans in Tigers jerseys on the hill at Leichhardt were heard to be yelling “pussy” and “gay c--ts” at players, and shouting Fijian slang at Sharks players of Pacific Islander appearance.

Men in the same group were also heard to sing made-up lyrics to the Sharks team song Up Up Cronulla referring to sexually assaulting women, and almost knocking an elderly man to the ground while pushing and shoving.

Spectators from both the Sharks and Tigers were also subjected to a particularly grim display in which a Tigers fan put his hand inside his underwear and wiped it across the mouth of a another man wearing a Sharks jersey.

“As we do after all games, we will liaise with the security firm, which is used on match days at Leichhardt Oval, and review any reported incidents from Saturday night.”

The spokesman acknowledged “myriad problems” with squeezing a capacity crowd into an archaic stadium.

The Tigers’ beloved historic home-ground has long been overlooked for funding, with facilities in severe disrepair – much to the dismay of many sporting clubs and codes who use the suburban ground known fondly as the eighth wonder of the world.

“Adequate policing of the Hill is one of many challenges at this venue in its current state,” the spokesman said.

“The level of police and security at games is determined by the projected crowd – the police presence was at the maximum number for Saturday’s attendance figure.

“Security can be increased, and it would appear that this something we need to do for future games.”

The spokesman said responsible service of alcohol was ultimately a matter for the ground’s contracted food and drink providers – but promised to communicate concerns to Inner West Council.

The club is also planning to conduct a review of their stadium policy, with the spokesman saying any ground that hosts Wests Tigers games must be fit for purpose.

“Leichhardt Oval, for all its mystique and heritage, does not provide what Wests Tigers fans and rugby league fans deserve,” the spokesman said.

“As we do after all games we review the security report, and it does indeed sound like better controls need to be put in place going forward for future games.”

I have friends who are sharks supporters and they sat on the hill. I got messages from them on Saturday night saying they were concerned about the behaviour of some people around them.

Whomever they are, and if the allegations are found to be true, they should be charged with racial abuse (or whatever the crime that fits) and banned from ever attending a Rugby League match again. 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Playing out of LO in its current state is managed decline. The new management has much bigger ambitions and despite going to LO for the last 35 years it is clear to me that its time is passed. I am trying to bring my 3 kids into the club as the future members and despite my love of standing on the hill drinking tinnies, it cannot cater for these new members. Literally it has no where to put them. There is basically no decent members seats still available and we have the lowest membership base in the league. 

there is still members seats in the latchem stand sat either side of me to 4 sharks fans who bought tickets on the Tuesday $65 a seat. There are seats available no members taking them I guess... 

Don't know what place is the answer, CSS is not unless it gets an upgrade.

That leaves us with the nig stadium which are great for parking and convenience  but they lack something 

if we move and lose membership  and we don't increase our membership over yhe next few years we are in a hell of a lot of trouble. We may have plenty of the corporates sipping champagne but if we don't get actually members we are in trouble. If Richo moves stadiums and we don't get a membership bounce back then the board will need to look at it. Conversely if we get  an increase I  membership then he has pulled the right reign probably will take a few seasons to see the outcome

Jedi winning and making finals will take care of membership 

that is true winning does solve plenty of things

on the pkus side if we do go to Accor we will not need to buy a membership, as you will not need to secure a seat it holds 80k...

I am sure Richo has a plan, cheaper memberships perhaps ? or is it more prawn dumplings in the corporate suites ? 

Jedi I don’t know about others but I have bought my membership over many years not to secure my seats but to support the club and show my stripes 

I buy a full membership to all games and some I do not get to. Would I do that if we were just at Accor, maybe not as I can just walk up to the venue. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

This is the end game: 

Richardson said a viable option would be to relocate up the road to Accor Stadium, while CommBank Stadium was an alternative for 2025 – though “it’s Parramatta’s stadium at this stage”.

Fans have often complained about the lack of atmosphere at Accor when there are so many empty seats, but Richardson said: “All I know is Souths built their membership from 8000 to 32,000, they still hold the record for the biggest crowd ever for a [regular season] fixture – 58,000 against the Roosters – and the biggest crowd ever for a semi-final.

“You couldn’t do that at Redfern Oval. Soulless? It might be souless, but I tell you what, have a look at the bottom line of the balance sheet of South Sydney.

“We got 16,000 on Saturday night, but 16,000 should be a minimum crowd for Wests Tigers. We should be shooting for average crowds of 20,000, or 22,000, and membership of 30,000. Where do they sit?”

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
AnyGivenSunday
(@anygivensunday)
Junior Pathways

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

albo is the only hope it seems

https://anthonyalbanese.com.au/council-playing-games-with-leichhardt-oval

ReplyQuote
Enumerator
(@enumerator)
Junior Pathways

@tigertownsfs 

There's no hope then. Albo is a pascoe level dud.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Fun fact: the state government is building a metro that will run every few minutes and have stops at rozelle, five dock and concord (next to the COE) and Accor stadium! 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @enumerator

@tigertownsfs 

he is very honest man....lol

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)

albo is the only hope it seems

https://anthonyalbanese.com.au/council-playing-games-with-leichhardt-oval

That statement is 15 years old. The council has even changed names and borders, let alone personnel. 

I think we're more likely to get state funding than federal money, but even then the chances are slim. 

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)

I think it's great that this Leichhardt discussion is happening so heavily in public at the moment - great to see Richo and Darcy Byrne use the momentum to get in front of the media again yesterday. 

I was speaking to someone involved on Sat night on the hill - both the club and council are desperate for the refurb to happen at Leichhardt, but they've realised that it's untenable to stay there in its current guise. With the amount of usage it's getting at the moment (it's also the home ground for Sydney FC women for the most part), there's never been a more opportune time to heap pressure on those with the purse strings. 

The same is likely true for Campbelltown to be honest. 

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

@tigertownsfs 

That was said in 2009…

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @mike

@tigertownsfs 

That was said in 2009…

yeah I know. Just pointing out how politicians use LO as a political football when it suits them.

Mike and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @mike

Posted by: @helmesy

Whomever they are, and if the allegations are found to be true, they should be charged with racial abuse (or whatever the crime that fits) and banned from ever attending a Rugby League match again. 

I did also notice the Roosters and Souths fans punching on in the shiny modern Allianz Stadium... 

DH fans are everywhere

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 118 / 148
Share: