Tommy Talau in 2023

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Tommy Talau in 2023

Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

@helmesy Yes, was right to go from about round 21.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

I hope Tommy has a higher achievement level than being a Garner clone! …..Tommy is a wild card a bit like Blore could be anything or could be working on the tools in 12 months ! Nothing ventured they say …

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @snake

I hope Tommy has a higher achievement level than being a Garner clone! …..Tommy is a wild card a bit like Blore could be anything or could be working on the tools in 12 months ! Nothing ventured they say …

True all round.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @helmesy
Posted by: @barra

TT must have been doing well with running strength and movement at training. There is no way we're offering a 2yr contract without that.

From memory, wasn’t he able to play late in the year but we kept him back?

Yes that was reported, so he would have been moving at 100% over the last weeks of training.

Mike and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @snake

That’s a little disparaging of Luke Garner.He played well for us this year in both attack and defence.I’d be intrigued to know what sort of freight Penrith paid for him.He’s really matured as a player this year and is deceptively stronger and quicker than given credit for.I was disappointed to lose him and believe that he will prove to be a fantastic acquisition for the Panthers,unfortunately at our expense.

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  

Tommy Talau might be a name you haven’t heard of for a while, but the promising outside back said he’s ready to pick up where he left off – albeit 546 days after his last game of first-grade.  

The 22-year-old, who has returned to full team training this pre-season for the first time since suffering an ACL injury in the final round of 2021, said he is in the frame for a Round 1 return if selected by coach Tim Sheens — news that will come as a relief for Wests Tigers fans after he missed the enterity of the 2022 campaign.

Son of Bulldogs great Willie Talau, the Moorebank Rams junior emerged as one of the stars of the future in 2021 with 14 tries, but after a 2022 which was dominated by rehabilitation and recovery, the Wests Tigers outside back said he was ready to return "mentally and physically stronger" than before.

“It was my first major injury so at first, it was really different coming to terms with it and watching on the sidelines,” Talau told NRL.com.

“Ever since I started playing footy, I’d never had a big injury that meant I couldn’t play so it was really difficult to accept at first.

“Your body goes through changes and the mental side of it is really challenging.

“But now I can say I’m glad I went through it all because I feel a lot mentally and physically stronger".

Re-signed by the club despite an injury-cruelled 2022 campaign, Talau said he is determined to repay the faith new coach Sheens has shown in him.

“They showed faith in me after not being able to play for a whole year and relieved me of the uncertainty of not having a contract,” Talau said.

“I feel like they did me a huge favour and when I get back on the field, I really hope I can repay the faith.

“I just feel like after all the emotions, hard work and rehab, it’s all starting to pay off.”

Debuting as a teenager for Wests Tigers in 2019, Talau admitted he had a "fan-girl" moment when running out alongside premiership-winning playmaker Benji Marshall.

With Marshall stepping into a new role as Wests Tigers assistant coach under Sheens in 2023, the former Canterbury-Bankstown junior said it's like he's returned to “a new club” after lacing up the boots for the first time in over 12 months.

“I was fangirling big time the day I got to run on with him. I’ve never really supported a team, I support players and he’s always been one of my favourites,” he said.

“His leadership has been really important to our team. You can see everyone admires and respects him. When he talks everyone is listening.

“He’s won a comp and achieved everything you could dream of in the game so it’s great to have someone of his calibre.

“He jumps in and leads all the drills and is skills are second to none; I think he could still play now.

“It’s really valuable for our halves and outside backs to learn off him as well because he’s still carving us up at training, and if you can defend Benji, you’re going pretty well.”

With the Wests Tigers recruiting Charlie Staines, Api Koroisau, Isaiah Papali’i and David Klemmer, Talau said he is yet to see how he fits into Sheens’ side in 2023 but is instead focusing on his own goals ahead of a long-awaited NRL return.

“I’ve had a long year of thinking about the things I want to achieve in my career and how to get back to where I was playing,” he said.

“I’ve already seen a bit of Klemmer and he’s a machine. He works so hard.

“I’m also excited to see players like (Api) Koroisau and (Isaiah) Papali’il; I watched them play in the World Cup and they’re in awesome form, playing really good footy and I’m really excited to play with them.

“We’re all really hungry which is really good. Training feels like it’s gone to a new level than what I’ve been to before."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/12/15/talau-on-track-for-return-after-546-day-injury-hiatus/amp/

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  

I was just reading that his dad Wiile Talau is now an assistant coach at the Dragons.

ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

TT could become that barnstorming centre we’ve been lacking. Could also add utility value covering centre, wing, backrow and maybe even 5/8.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@eastiemagpie takes the utility bench role you would think 

backline

1. Staines

2. Nofo

3. AD

4. Naden

5. Ken M

6. Laurie

7. Brooks 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

AD will be probably be given the opportunity to retain the 5/8 position with Starford at centre. Things could change quickly now that there is genuine competition for spots.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@snake staked my claim a few weeks ago. Tommy will be in the starting lineup by the mid year , and we will all be talking about what a revelation he is . 

That’s my bold prediction . Even if we get Bateman . 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @lestronge

@snake staked my claim a few weeks ago. Tommy will be in the starting lineup by the mid year , and we will all be talking about what a revelation he is . 

That’s my bold prediction . Even if we get Bateman . 

As a centre or secondrower?

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@helmesy second row mate . It’s been stated by the club already that he’s moving to the back row . I don’t know why guys keep talking about him at centre .

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@out_psych)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@helmesy second row mate . It’s been stated by the club already that he’s moving to the back row . I don’t know why guys keep talking about him at centre .

I believe Talau is a strong chance to claim back the right centre starting position in ‘23. Has big wraps from Benji and Sheens. Wouldnt want to risk his knee close to the action in the back row. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @out_psych

I believe Talau is a strong chance to claim back the right centre starting position in ‘23. Has big wraps from Benji and Sheens. Wouldnt want to risk his knee close to the action in the back row. 

It appears he might start 2023 in the centres but I think the club see him transitioning into the backrow at some stage.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: