Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @garry

Posted by: @russtutty63

I differ to most here in that I believe we don’t need an impact middle as we already have one in Fonua Pole. I also believe we have 2 of the best, if not the best, young props in the game in Stef & Samuela. So young those 3 and their best is well & truly in front of them. I can see Stef & Sam starting next year with Klem & Pole off the bench. Matamua would be my 13. Guys like Twal, Seyfarth, Sione & Jordan Miller will add depth. There’s also a group of 19 & 20 year olds who are improving & could get a run here & there. We are definitely a team to watch imo because we have so much improvement in us.

Pole has not shown that consistently though which is my concern.

I agree but he has shown it. Part of the issue with consistency is inexperience in the role and getting used to the players around him particularly Api. He played only 4 games off the bench last year with all the middles getting used to Api’s style of play so the sample size is small yet there were signs he might be good in that role. He might not play in that role again but that’s where I’d like to see him next year especially if Matamua can move into the 13 which is probably a bigger question.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

I differ to most here in that I believe we don’t need an impact middle as we already have one in Fonua Pole. I also believe we have 2 of the best, if not the best, young props in the game in Stef & Samuela. So young those 3 and their best is well & truly in front of them. I can see Stef & Sam starting next year with Klem & Pole off the bench. Matamua would be my 13. Guys like Twal, Seyfarth, Sione & Jordan Miller will add depth. There’s also a group of 19 & 20 year olds who are improving & could get a run here & there. We are definitely a team to watch imo because we have so much improvement in us.

Still very young. IMO he has been pretty consistent this year. I have hopes for Miller in a year or so and I think Sione will seriously strengthen our bench when he gets back and fit.

On current form Twal, Seyfarth, Sione, utility/Api replacement is a good bench.

Skippa13 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

I agree but he has shown it. Part of the issue with consistency is inexperience in the role and getting used to the players around him particularly Api. He played only 4 games off the bench last year with all the middles getting used to Api’s style of play so the sample size is small yet there were signs he might be good in that role. He might not play in that role again but that’s where I’d like to see him next year especially if Matamua can move into the 13 which is probably a bigger question.

Its a good point IMO. There are players who have shown that they are capable of playing well in NRL but not done it consistently. Id put Pole, Tupou, Naden, Staines, Bateman, Seyfarth and even Starford Toa. These guys have shown they CAN do it, just need to do it consistently. These players need to be coached to achieve consistent performance.

Then there are the Tumeths, Matamua, Kepaoa, Sullivan type players where you can clearly see potential, but they ahve never actually shown that they can prove that they can do it. These are the type of players I think we need to be cycling out of the club.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tiger5150

Still very young. IMO he has been pretty consistent this year. I have hopes for Miller in a year or so and I think Sione will seriously strengthen our bench when he gets back and fit.

He has been very consistent and is an excellent player, I haven't seen enough yet to say he is the high impact middle forward that we need.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Its a good point IMO. There are players who have shown that they are capable of playing well in NRL but not done it consistently. Id put Pole, Tupou, Naden, Staines, Bateman, Seyfarth and even Starford Toa. These guys have shown they CAN do it, just need to do it consistently. These players need to be coached to achieve consistent performance.

Then there are the Tumeths, Matamua, Kepaoa, Sullivan type players where you can clearly see potential, but they ahve never actually shown that they can prove that they can do it. These are the type of players I think we need to be cycling out of the club.

I disagree with Matamua & Tumeth. Matamua is arguably the most consistent forward in our Cup side and he’s only 20. Guys like Yeo, Carrigan etc didn’t become the players they are now at 20. Carrigan was a good middle with potential, Murray was a bench player at 20.  Tumeth is still learning & improving, just saw him hit a good line & offload for Wests try at Lidcombe now in the Cup game. He’d be on minimum or close to it. 

Joel Helmes and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

He has been very consistent and is an excellent player, I haven't seen enough yet to say he is the high impact middle forward that we need.

good point. Smaller in stature but strong. Lock 5 years ago is hie position.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

I disagree with Matamua & Tumeth. Matamua is arguably the most consistent forward in our Cup side and he’s only 20. Guys like Yeo, Carrigan etc didn’t become the players they are now at 20. Carrigan was a good middle with potential, Murray was a bench player at 20.  Tumeth is still learning & improving, just saw him hit a good line & offload for Wests try at Lidcombe now in the Cup game. He’d be on minimum or close to it. 

You literally just described their potential. Im talking about actually seeing in first grade that they CAN do it. I am probably being pretty tough on Matamua and he gets his first real chance tomorrow. Not sure Tumeth will ever get another chance.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgrzmn)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Just read that StGI are not interested in Schuster because they are after a player to cover half and hooker. Perhaps they might take Bud Sullivan back????

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

You literally just described their potential. Im talking about actually seeing in first grade that they CAN do it. I am probably being pretty tough on Matamua and he gets his first real chance tomorrow. Not sure Tumeth will ever get another chance.

Yes I did because I think they have potential. But I have seen quite a bit of them this year & last year. This year Matamua has been the most consistent forward in Cup. He has earned his spot this week due to his performances, not his potential. Tumeth shows signs of improvement but whether he makes it or not I don’t know. 
Next season more than half our cap will be spent on 10 players, I have not figured in Bud’s contract, any potential upgrades for Lachie or the fact we are looking at adding a quality outside back. So you will need at least a few players on minimum & Matamua & Tumeth would be on minimum or close to it. Whether or not both are part of our plans I don’t know but they’re young, they’re improving and on little money.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Yes I did because I think they have potential. But I have seen quite a bit of them this year & last year. This year Matamua has been the most consistent forward in Cup. He has earned his spot this week due to his performances, not his potential. Tumeth shows signs of improvement but whether he makes it or not I don’t know. 
Next season more than half our cap will be spent on 10 players, I have not figured in Bud’s contract, any potential upgrades for Lachie or the fact we are looking at adding a quality outside back. So you will need at least a few players on minimum & Matamua & Tumeth would be on minimum or close to it. Whether or not both are part of our plans I don’t know but they’re young, they’re improving and on little money.

Players earning $500,000 or more at the Tigers next season:

Luai. 1.2 million

Api.  700,000

Jahream  700,000

Bateman. 700,000

Klem  700,000?

Ice.  600,000

Latu. 500,000

Sam. 500,000

Stef.  700,000?

Bud 500,000

I’m not sure of Klem’s contract or how much Stef will be on if he stays but $700,000 seems reasonable guess. And if were to bring in an outside back I’d think $500,000 seems about right or underestimate.  That’d be $7.3 million on 11 players. So it leaves approx $4 million for 18 or 19 players. Of them a half dozen might be on $250,000-$350,000, let’s say $300,000 each, that’s another $1.8 million.  So $9 million on 17 players. That’d leave approx $2.5 million on 12 or 13 players. At a guess I think a half dozen might be on minimum to factor in upgrades and so on. I might be totally off the mark but that’s my guess.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Players earning $500,000 or more at the Tigers next season:

Luai. 1.2 million

Api.  700,000

Jahream  700,000

Bateman. 700,000

Klem  700,000?

Ice.  600,000

Latu. 500,000

Sam. 500,000

Stef.  700,000?

Bud 500,000

I’m not sure of Klem’s contract or how much Stef will be on if he stays but $700,000 seems reasonable guess. And if were to bring in an outside back I’d think $500,000 seems about right or underestimate.  That’d be $7.3 million on 11 players. So it leaves approx $4 million for 18 or 19 players. Of them a half dozen might be on $250,000-$350,000, let’s say $300,000 each, that’s another $1.8 million.  So $9 million on 17 players. That’d leave approx $2.5 million on 12 or 13 players. At a guess I think a half dozen might be on minimum to factor in upgrades and so on. I might be totally off the mark but that’s my guess.

The benefit right now of having so many young players in the top 30 is many like Matamua, Tumeth, TDS, Miller, Kit, Feledy etc would be on close to minimum. It helps leave more money to look for quality additions like an outside back.

This post was modified 5 months ago by Russtutty63

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

I don’t want get into a lengthy debate about Matamua & Tumeth, in the end it just depends on what the coaching staff want & how it all fits into their cap over the next few seasons. But one final point is this, we are a development club & we’re going to try to keep the best players & that’ll cost money too. We’ll also keep some who want to play here so might not cost us as much as it could. It’s a balancing act isn’t it. Yesterday I spoke again to Matt Betsey (think he tries to avoid me now), I asked (again!) how things were going with young Makasini? He told me still talking to his manager and it was progressing well. He said they were confident of keeping him as he wants to play here. But I know he’d obviously be receiving offers elsewhere, from Union and other league clubs. So I’m guessing to keep him we will probably have to offer more than we’d like, perhaps a staggered (is that the word) contract similar to Lachie. So not all these development players will be on minimum.

This post was modified 5 months ago by Russtutty63

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@the-frog)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

@russtutty63 I think you will find that Bud is on 650k. Yes its nuts but I think you will find its true. On yesterdays performance his salary should have been $650.00

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @the-frog

@russtutty63 I think you will find that Bud is on 650k. Yes its nuts but I think you will find its true. On yesterdays performance his salary should have been $650.00

650k oh my God... 

the club needs to be paying another club 400k to play elsewhere 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

if Sullivan is on 650k the the club should be looking at Schuster, at least on a bench role he can cover forwards and backs. He woukd add a lot to this squad 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 921 / 1046
Share: