Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @jirskyr

Posted by: @lestronge

@jedi-tiger I still think it doesn’t hold the prestige you might think it does . 
There’s a reason the last “great” rugby league/ Rugby  prodigy who has picked RL then gone back   was Berrick Barnes , or Ryan Cross . 
There’s been an infinite amount who have chosen not to . Because the wallabies suck. 
And Rugby is no longer won with creative play . It’s won by attrition , kicking and field position . Created mainly by having elite forwards who can control the ruck and win scrums/ line outs . 
mod which the wallabies don’t have 1 single elite forward in the country. 
I don’t see Sualiii , large even Ponga making a lick of difference . 
It’s why they are willing to give Angus Chricton 1.5 mil . So he can play flanker and hopefully get an athlete at the breakdown . 

Like I said it’s not really a selling point unless you’re knee deep in the rah rah community/cult . 
I mean hey the large boys very well might be . But the pull of RL is just too strong is this country . 

RU simply don't have the funds to compete with League right now and after the WC debacle and general average performance of the "domestic" comp, it's not shaping up for RU to be any more competitive over the next 4-5 years.

Wallabies can afford maybe 2-3 players tops, i.e. pay the kind of salary to pull them over to union. Most of that fad of trying to sign League players ended with the Mark Gasnier experiment after Rogers / Tuqiri / Sailor. Folau has really been the only major signing since.

if wallabies are smart they make Nathan cleary an offer he can't refuse to play number 10 for wallabies. 

it would put bums back on seats and create interest from the league fan tuning in to see how he goes. 

The guy has mow one 3 comps played for nsw and Australia maybe he might be open to a move

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@jedi-tiger what’s an offer he can’t refuse that he can’t get in league? He’d be making a fair amount from league and is playing with his mates in a game he enjoys.

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball Moderator

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2023/10/05/toa-adds-two-more-years-at-wests-tigers/

Personally would have been happy to see him moved on.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @tigerlily

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2023/10/05/toa-adds-two-more-years-at-wests-tigers/

Not a fan of this at all, takes up a valuable top 30 spot. Bad signing.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Im still hopeful for him. Definitely saw some good signs for him halfway through the year but then seemed to regress. Maybe an injury? Or maybe just rubbish halves?

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@tiger5150 I thought he had a couple of good games but he is too inconsistent. I think for us to get off the bottom we need to massively upgrade our backline. He's not good enough imo.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@tiger5150 I thought he had a couple of good games but he is too inconsistent. I think for us to get off the bottom we need to massively upgrade our backline. He's not good enough imo.

Hopefully some decent coaching can get the best out of him. 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @mike

Hopefully some decent coaching can get the best out of him. 

Here's hoping. He looked like a star (excuse the pun) in a couple of games during the season, but he fell off badly toward the end of the season. Benji sees something in him presumably, let's hope he's right.

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

@tiger5150 I thought he had a couple of good games but he is too inconsistent.

I agree with you, but unlike most of our backs (bar Bula and maybe Tupou) has has at least shown that he is capable of high levels of play, suitable for a first grade centre. No one else has even shown that. Once we know he is capable, we need to get it consistently.

ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Legitimate question - is To'a currently the best centre at the club? If yes, and that is what I think, then it's sensible to have him Top 30. Even if he becomes a backup, you still need to fill 2 centre spots every week.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Legitimate question - is To'a currently the best centre at the club? If yes, and that is what I think, then it's sensible to have him Top 30. Even if he becomes a backup, you still need to fill 2 centre spots every week.

I agree. Like many signings $$$ matters.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

I think Junior Tupou is the best centre at the club. I'd be going to market to fill the other centre spot. I'd have Staines on one wing and go to market for the other wing spot.

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I would take Naden ahead of him. Neither are remotely consistent enough though, and I'd upgrade either in a heartbeat given the opportunity. 

No issue with him seeing out his contract for 24, but extending him for another two years on top of that is a huge call. 

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

I don’t mind the To’a extension. It’s for 2025/6 so a number of spots still to fill. He can do a job for us and wouldn’t be on big money. 

ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@dirty-reds I do not rate any of them , second tier the lot of them . If the club wants to move up the ladder get the Chq  book out !

Dirty Reds reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 848 / 933
Share: