(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@doug-heffernan)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @frullens

Posted by: @doug-heffernan

I think Hunt is on more like 800k isn't he?

$1.1m by reports

https://www.visiting.com.au/blog/the-top-20-highest-paid-mens-nrl-players-of-2023/#:~:text=Ben%20Hunt%20%E2%80%93%20%241.1%20million&text=Born%20in%20Rockhampton%2C%20he%20began,the%20way%20back%20in%202009.

My recollection of when he re-signed was that Saints low balled him and there was a stand off for them to get somewhere around the 800k for him to stay loyal. I'm very sceptical that he is on 1.1m. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in between.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

$1.1m by reports

https://www.visiting.com.au/blog/the-top-20-highest-paid-mens-nrl-players-of-2023/#:~:text=Ben%20Hunt%20%E2%80%93%20%241.1%20million&text=Born%20in%20Rockhampton%2C%20he%20began,the%20way%20back%20in%202009.

My recollection of when he re-signed was that Saints low balled him and there was a stand off for them to get somewhere around the 800k for him to stay loyal. I'm very sceptical that he is on 1.1m. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in between.

Does parachuting Hunt into our team at the expense of Brooks guarantee a semi-final spot? 

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @helmesy

$1.1m by reports

Does parachuting Hunt into our team at the expense of Brooks guarantee a semi-final spot? 

would prefer both hunt and Brooks here as the halves

Chainlink reacted
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball Moderator

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

$1.1m by reports

I think this combo Hunt at 7 and Brooks at 6 would be a great pairing.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @tigerlily

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

$1.1m by reports

I think this combo Hunt at 7 and Brooks at 6 would be a great pairing.

we missed Brooks tonight 

Chainlink reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

My recollection of when he re-signed was that Saints low balled him and there was a stand off for them to get somewhere around the 800k for him to stay loyal. I'm very sceptical that he is on 1.1m. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in between

Well if they did - it was Flannagan that did it, as he was list manager at the time 🤣

Top 8 2023

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @chainlink

@helmesy , @garry

Love the podcast gents. Regarding Brooks, one thing I don’t hear mentioned much is that wouldn’t we get Cap discount/advantage on Brooks as veteran player? Effectively saving us $180k off his salary under cap? If so, surely we could up his offer slightly to get him across the line. I don’t think any other player (maybe Nof?) would qualify for us to get discount?

Hey mate, welcome to the forum and thank you for the support. Nofa qualifies as an 8 year veteran at our club and Klem and Api (next year) both qualify as 10 year veterans across the game. The discount is $200k across the entire squad so we would still get it without Brooks.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Chainlink reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens has ruled out making contact with Ben Hunt in the short term as St George Illawarra's NRL rivals begin drafting their sales pitches to the disgruntled Dragons captain.

Reports emerged on Saturday that Hunt was eager for a release from the final two-and-a-half years of his contract at the struggling Dragons, who sacked his close confidant Anthony Griffin as coach last month.

Incoming Dragons boss Shane Flanagan has publicly declared the Queensland State of Origin representative part of his plans to revitalise the Red V, telling 2GB on Saturday no early release would be entertained.

But the pair are poised for crisis talks following Wednesday's second Origin game, with the Dragons hoping they can talk their skipper down.

Hunt has already been linked with moves to Canterbury and Gold Coast, while Canberra would also have the funds to make an offer given they lose five-eighth Jack Wighton to South Sydney at the season's end.

The situation comes only days after Luke Brooks rejected the Tigers' offer of a contract extension for 2024, leaving Wests to ponder their options in the halves beyond this season.

Sheens has made no secret of his desire to lure a top-quality half to Concord given first-choice five-eighth Adam Doueihi's ACL injury is set to sideline him well into 2024.

Brooks' mooted departure would only make the situation more urgent.

The Tigers have made failed plays for Cameron Munster, Mitch Moses and Shaun Johnson in recent times but Sheens said Hunt was not currently on their radar.

"He's a quality player but I'm certainly not going to start a rumour that we're chasing him," Sheens said.

"He's on contract with St George. He's got no clause that says he can get out of that contract. At this stage, we can't deal with anyone that's in that situation."

Sheens confirmed the side's search for playmakers was ongoing and that options were being considered for both this year and next.

"We are looking, we're obviously looking for next year as well, given Adam Doueihi may be late coming back next year," he said.

"I've erred on the conservative way and said he won't play (in 2024). If he does, it's a bonus.

"Right at the moment, we are actively looking for options in England and here but so are a lot of clubs."

Brooks missed Saturday night's 28-6 loss to Melbourne with the hamstring injury he suffered last week.

Sheens denied Brandon Wakeham's inability to forge chemistry with new halves partner Starford To'a had brought the club's halves issue into sharper focus.

"What Brooksy does is what Brooksy does. I don't think that affected the team one bit," he said.

"Our main issue was trying to put together a new combination in a handful of days."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-league/hunt-not-on-tigers-radar-at-the-moment-sheens-c-11012378.amp

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chainlink)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Posted by: @garry

@helmesy , @garry

Love the podcast gents. Regarding Brooks, one thing I don’t hear mentioned much is that wouldn’t we get Cap discount/advantage on Brooks as veteran player? Effectively saving us $180k off his salary under cap? If so, surely we could up his offer slightly to get him across the line. I don’t think any other player (maybe Nof?) would qualify for us to get discount?

Hey mate, welcome to the forum and thank you for the support. Nofa qualifies as an 8 year veteran at our club and Klem and Api (next year) both qualify as 10 year veterans across the game. The discount is $200k across the entire squad so we would still get it without Brooks.

Thanks Garry. NRL should improve this. Clubs should get more benefit for keeping local juniors at club long term. $200k isn’t much. And if a club can benefit by just signing an aging player from another club, every club will likely qualify so what’s the point? 

hsvjones and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

I think Sheens was playing that with a straight bat (given he's technically still under contract) rather than dismissing our interest. 

Rex2ce, Skippa13, 851 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @garry

@helmesy , @garry

Thanks Garry. NRL should improve this. Clubs should get more benefit for keeping local juniors at club long term. $200k isn’t much. And if a club can benefit by just signing an aging player from another club, every club will likely qualify so what’s the point? 

Yeah it is completely pointless, all it does is add an extra $200k to the salary cap of every team. The best way to fix the cap is to provide proper benefits for long serving players, I would have some kind of scale system that see more and more of a long term players salary being cap exempt. I would go as far as having 50% of a 10 year player's salary being exempt from the cap. It would bring the one club players back and really reward teams for developing their own.

Eastiemagpie and 851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @dirty-reds

I think Sheens was playing that with a straight bat (given he's technically still under contract) rather than dismissing our interest. 

The club is definitely interested but there is a belief he wants to head back to Queensland as he has a farm up there.

851 and Dirty Reds reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@garry that would be a perfect system. Have the benefits kick in earlier if a player has played from Flegg up at the one club. Not only would it reward the loyalty of the player but will enable teams to build legacy squads who have played together for years.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

@garry that would be a perfect system. Have the benefits kick in earlier if a player has played from Flegg up at the one club. Not only would it reward the loyalty of the player but will enable teams to build legacy squads who have played together for years.

Yeah start counting the years at Flegg or even lower would be more preference but that is difficult to without unified junior competition across the game.

ReplyQuote
Page 699 / 1067
Share: