Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

@helmesy im getting the distinct impression Benji is calling the shots now. Not Sheens.

851 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

@helmesy im getting the distinct impression Benji is calling the shots now. Not Sheens.

Agreed.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @helmesy

Stories like this make me believe Brooks isn’t in the plans.

The fact that Brooks doesnt have a Contract for 24, 6months after becoming a free agent and 6months before an off season, makes me think Brooks isnt in the plans. The fact that we are discussing him still after 10 years makes me think they are probably right.

Regardless, if we have to have either Brooks or Wakeham for next year I vote Brooks, but not by a lot so $$$ matters.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @helmesy

Wests Tigers target Warriors favourite Shaun Johnson in shock transfer move
In a move which throws massive doubt around the future of halfback Luke Brooks, the Wests Tigers are set to make a play for one of the competition’s biggest crowd pleasers.

Michael Carayannis and Brent Read

Wests Tigers are considering making a shock play for Kiwi veteran Shaun Johnson in a move which would throw up question marks surrounding Luke Brooks’ future at the club.

The Tigers have made it known they want a controlling half having missed out on the likes of Mitchell Moses and Mitchell Pearce in recent weeks.

That has led to the unexpected interest in landing Johnson. Discussions have occurred between the parties with Johnson facing an uncertain future at the Warriors.

After a poor season last year there was little chance that Johnson would have been at the Warriors beyond this year.

But his stellar start to this season now has the Warriors reconsidering their position. He could earn about $700,000 if he returns to Australia.

One of the issues will be the second season of the deal. Johnson would be reluctant to relocate his young family to Australia for just one year.

Whether the Tigers would be keen on a second season or the parties discuss a potential option for 2025 remains to be seen.

It is also unclear if the Tigers shake-up in recruitment this week will change the negotiations.

The Tigers are after a short-term fix in time for some of their young halves to be ready for first grade. Johnson is the best experienced player on the market and at 32 has been rejuvenated this year.

There were calls for him to retire last year after a poor return to the Warriors after three seasons at Cronulla. He has thrived living back at home.

The Warriors are yet to open any meaningful dialogue but have not ruled out extending Johnson’s career. They do however have high hopes for Luke Metcalf and Ronald Volkman while Dylan Walker and Te Maire Martin are also contracted and more than capable of playing in the halves.

If Johnson opts to join the Tigers he would reunite with Benji Marshall – after he made his Kiwi debut playing in the halves with Marshall. Johnson’s career has followed a similar trajectory to that of Tigers coach in waiting Marshall with both transforming from carefree, attacking superstars to controlling halves.

Chad Townsend is another experienced playmaker but he has another 12 months to run on his deal with North Queensland. The Tigers will no doubt be among the clubs keeping an eye on Ben Hunt’s situation at the Dragons.

The St George Illawarra skipper appears certain to spend some time at hooker this weekend, a switch that is likely to test his patience with the club given he is already frustrated over the treatment of coach Anthony Griffin.

While Hunt has played representative football at hooker, he has always considered himself a halfback at club level. Hunt has also made no secret of his support for Griffin, who is expected to be moved on at season’s end.

It could prompt the likes of the Tigers and potentially the Bulldogs to test the resolve of the Dragons to hold onto Hunt, who has two more years on his contract at the Dragons

What all this means for Brooks is unclear. Brooks, who produced his best performance this season against Penrith on Saturday, is still awaiting word from the club about his future.

The injured Adam Doueihi is the only half the Tigers have on their books next season with Brandon Wakeham also a free agent.

Stories like this make me believe Brooks isn’t in the plans.

Shane flanagan was interviewed on 2GB on I think Monday. He said 'Kyle's manager Isaac is currently overseas.'

The guy could be lying on a beach somewhere but he might be in the UK speaking to clubs about clients including Luke?

Further I doubt we will sign too many more Moses clients because Isaac clearly shafted Sheenius and McDonnell re Mitch Moses.

hsvjones and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@helmesy scot Fulton will hold sway now you would think not so much sheens

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@tiger5150 From what i got told from someone close to family is he does not want to go to u.k. think a deal will be done in the coming months, I don't think money is Luke's motivator so I  reckon a deal will get done and dont think he is in a massive rush. I would be very very surprised if he is not our 6 next year.

As for who will be the 7, who knows 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

I have a gut feel that Fulton’s role is more like a Football manager (maybe not GM) as someone who understands how football team management works, including recruitment and he will work closely with Benji. Sheens is 72 and I doubt has the juice to keep going once he is finished up as coach. Fulton is there for the long run 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@tigertownsfs also reckon we will get Kristy Fulton at some point, 

With AD can we get any salary cap dispensation or are we able to pay his 2024 salary this year ? 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

@tiger5150 From what i got told from someone close to family is he does not want to go to u.k. think a deal will be done in the coming months, I don't think money is Luke's motivator so I  reckon a deal will get done and dont think he is in a massive rush. I would be very very surprised if he is not our 6 next year.

As for who will be the 7, who knows 

Benji sees Schuster as a 6, not a 13. The fact he’s after him and Johnson shows Brooks isn’t in our plans. The only way Brooks is re-signed is if we don’t sign anyone else.

851 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Benji sees Schuster as a 6, not a 13.

regardless of Brooks, I reckon Benji is wrong. Did he say that in the media?

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@avocadoontoast don't care what we do with Brooks but agree with others Schuster is a 13 not a 6 I reckon. 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

what are the plans if we dont get Schuster? interesting times ahead

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@tiger5150 He's said it in the past. I'll have to have a look for it.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

@avocadoontoast don't care what we do with Brooks but agree with others Schuster is a 13 not a 6 I reckon. 

I don't think Schuster is a 6 either for what it's worth.

Tiger5150 and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

It’s a bit concerning that schuster isn’t performing at 6 outside on of the best controlling 7s of his generation (DCE)

Tiger5150 and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 622 / 1067
Share: