Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @snake

@tiger5150 I have seen nothing from Brooks that suggests he will succeed at 5/8 ! It’s a fallacy that Brooks will shine at 5/8 he has played his entire career at 7 , adding Moses to 7 doesn’t mean Brooks will succeed, it seems to me there is more at play here.. I am not on the band wagon that a Moses/ Brooks combo will be wonderful it will be Ok .Remember Brooks really struggles and Moses goes missing when the going gets tough ! Excited not really but better than what has been .

for almost all of Brooks career, Tigers have played with the halves split left & right. There is not much difference between the 6 & 7 under these circumstances and IMO it doesnt matter what number is on their back. Brooks comments that IP will be playing "on his side" implies that this will continue. Why I'd consider Moses 7 is he is the guy I want the ball going to on the last for kicking, with Brooks being an obvious foil option at all times. Happier with Moses "game managing (massively overrated concept IMO)" at 7 but I also think Api will shoulder a lot of this role as well.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @dirty-reds

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @hsvjones

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

What I got told is part of the delay is Isaac telling the club they need to offer Brooks an extended contract, Isaac wants both his players sorted. 

I have no idea on the length of contract Brooks is asking for on the other forum some are saying 3 years and no idea on dollars. 

I have no problem with this at all... They are best mates and played excellent together in juniors so for me the club should just make this happen.  I think Brooks and Moses behind this new running pack will be excellent. 

I think a Brooks/Moses Combo is the best that we can hope for in the near future and I'd hate to miss out on that opportunity, but it must obviously be at a price that doesnt kill us (for Brooks). Absolutely most critically, the Brooks & Moses contracts MUST end at different times.

I think the contract length should depend on the succession planning. That is, make sure we have Large and/or whoever ready to take over in 2028 or similar. 

I wouldn't mind them both coming off contract at the same time if they're both early 30s as it'll likely be their last deal or close to it anyway. 

Tigers made a massive mistake originally with starting Brooks and Moses as a pair so young and inexperienced and IMO impacted Brooks development and probably Moses had to leave to improve his development alongside more experienced partners. Even in a perfect world where we do develop two gun halves ready to go in 3-5years, ideally we are able to stagger their introduction so they spend some of their development with an experienced partner.

I would hate for this to work as designed and the club be regular finalists and successful and then Isaac Moses to be able to hold us to ransom again like 2017 and then lose them both and rely on two kids with no experience. Would set us back another 10 years.

ReplyQuote
Celtic_Tiger
(@celtic_tiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Allowing players or player managers to have an influence over roster decisions is a road to catastrophe. I would love to see Moses at the Tigers but if one of the conditions of the deal is a big money three year extension for Brooks then it's no deal from me.

This season was intended to be all about seeing how our halves, Brooks and Douhie, performed behind a functioning forward pack before making any decision on the halves pairing moving forward.

If we offer Brooks a big money extension before a ball is kicked this year then sanity has well and truly left the building.

851, MickeyB, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@doug-heffernan)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @celtic_tiger

Allowing players or player managers to have an influence over roster decisions is a road to catastrophe. I would love to see Moses at the Tigers but if one of the conditions of the deal is a big money three year extension for Brooks then it's no deal from me.

This season was intended to be all about seeing how our halves, Brooks and Douhie, performed behind a functioning forward pack before making any decision on the halves pairing moving forward.

If we offer Brooks a big money extension before a ball is kicked this year then sanity has well and truly left the building.

This season being intended to see how Brooks goes isn't true as far as I know. Sheens has been looking to re-sign Brooks for a while and publicly stated he wants to keep him, just on less money.

I'm very surprised at how people are taking this situation. I see nothing wrong with a player wanting to know who his halves partner is over the next few years before signing. In fact I'd say that's common practice. People are running with this and exaggerating it. All of a sudden it now has to be a "big money deal" for his mate, now where has that come from? Moses just wants to know that Luke will be his halves partner before committing, he isnt demanding it. This stuff happens all the time. 

Still hoping Moses won't come, but I think he will.

Skippa13, The Last Ronin, Garry and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I hope Moses takes his Uncle Benny's advice and stays right where he is; guiding the Eels to failure. I don't rate him, I don't admire him and I don't want his petulant ways back at WT. Ever. 

Westy81 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@todd-packer players want t9 know who they are playing with all the time, think in this case it is the person he is enquiring about that some fans have an issue with.

hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Posted by: @snake

@tiger5150 I have seen nothing from Brooks that suggests he will succeed at 5/8 ! It’s a fallacy that Brooks will shine at 5/8 he has played his entire career at 7 , adding Moses to 7 doesn’t mean Brooks will succeed, it seems to me there is more at play here.. I am not on the band wagon that a Moses/ Brooks combo will be wonderful it will be Ok .Remember Brooks really struggles and Moses goes missing when the going gets tough ! Excited not really but better than what has been .

Brooks will do well @ 5/8. Brooks is a running half. 5/8 suits his game much better than halfback trying to create space from the ruck/scrum. Brooks has been playing in the wrong position his entire career. 

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

I see both sides of the coin here, my gut feeling though is having Brooks is what has kept us in the chase for Moses and I think getting him is a game changer for us.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Agree on all fronts.

One key point you haven't raised though is this - WT need to get Moses to come over in 2023 in order for Brooks to get a new contract. I'm sure that is what is being spoken about right now.

I think we all agree that Brooks is on huge backended contract that concludes this year. Club management want to spread out the value of the current back ended contract out like we did with Chris Lawrence previously.

If we offer Brooks the new 'spread out' contract today that will leave WT with significant cap space for 2023. I'd assume upwards of $400/500k could be saved for 2023. In saying that, if we offer Brooks that contract tomorrow there are no high profile players sitting around waiting to join WT this year. The justification to spread out the Brooks contract is lost. Enter Mitch Moses.

The reverse of this is also true - without Mitch Moses coming to WT in 2023 Sheens is just as likely to turn around to Isaac and say 'well mate we're happy enough to let Brooks see out his 2023 contract. We might offer him a new deal for 2024 but no guarantees."

I hope I have explained that properly - the moral to my story is that Brooks and Moses almost come as a package deal.

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @helmesy

I see both sides of the coin here, my gut feeling though is having Brooks is what has kept us in the chase for Moses and I think getting him is a game changer for us.

I dont know if Id go as far as saying game changer Joel but not for the reason that you might think. Everyone has their opinion on whether Moses is a top drawer half or not and that argument will continue for some time yet. All very subjective.

I just reinforce what Celtic says - having spine players Brooks, AD and Laurie all off contract is actually a great outcome for WT. This tends to lead to better individual performances. If Mitch Moses stays at Parra then those three players are still playing for their next NRL contract. If they all have good years, we probably play finals and they each get a new contract. On the flip side, if they have a shit year as individuals then we start again with new halves and a strong crop of forwards in 2024.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Serious question . What is everyone’s idea of a lucrative package for Brooks. ?He’s a middle of the road nrl half . Sometimes great ,sometimes not so great . Most of the time he’s  ….. ok.

Hes better than anything being offered up at the Dolphins,Warriors ,Dragons , raiders , dogs , Newcastle (I don’t rate Hastings as a half , sorry) , south’s (Ilias is not  there yet) and so on and so on . You get towards 7-8 range in your power rankings and he’s somewhere in there . 
So in saying all that . For me that means he’s a first grade half . Do people realise how much that is worth ? It’s not worth 1.1 mil , but it’s also not worth 500k . So based on those simple maths , that puts it around 800k … and that seems about right to me . 
If the elite halves are getting works 1.3-1.5 . Then what are people talking about? 
wven his biggest haters can’t say he’s not a first grade half . He clearly is . So if that’s true then 800k based on the way halves are paid in 2023 seems very very reasonable . 
to me that’s what I’d be offering him . Because yes he’s average at organising the team , but he’s not a net negative . I’d argue because of his strong defence he’s a net positive . Whereas someone like AD , who can score 2 tries sure , but he’s indirectly/directly responsible for 3 tries against , is a net negative . 
Im not a statistician, but the eyeball says this to me . And based on his always having at least a couple clubs circling , I reckon this is what the nrl sees as well . 

Skippa13, Jedi Tiger, Tiger Symmetry and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

Posted by: @lestronge

Serious question . What is everyone’s idea of a lucrative package for Brooks. ?He’s a middle of the road nrl half . Sometimes great ,sometimes not so great . Most of the time he’s  ….. ok.

Hes better than anything being offered up at the Dolphins,Warriors ,Dragons , raiders , dogs , Newcastle (I don’t rate Hastings as a half , sorry) , south’s (Ilias is not  there yet) and so on and so on . You get towards 7-8 range in your power rankings and he’s somewhere in there . 
So in saying all that . For me that means he’s a first grade half . Do people realise how much that is worth ? It’s not worth 1.1 mil , but it’s also not worth 500k . So based on those simple maths , that puts it around 800k … and that seems about right to me . 
If the elite halves are getting works 1.3-1.5 . Then what are people talking about? 
wven his biggest haters can’t say he’s not a first grade half . He clearly is . So if that’s true then 800k based on the way halves are paid in 2023 seems very very reasonable . 
to me that’s what I’d be offering him . Because yes he’s average at organising the team , but he’s not a net negative . I’d argue because of his strong defence he’s a net positive . Whereas someone like AD , who can score 2 tries sure , but he’s indirectly/directly responsible for 3 tries against , is a net negative . 
Im not a statistician, but the eyeball says this to me . And based on his always having at least a couple clubs circling , I reckon this is what the nrl sees as well . 

I know someone whose been saying this for a very long time😀

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

A “very confident” Daine Laurie believes this will be his best season yet as he chases a new deal with the Wests Tigers.

Laurie enjoyed a breakout season in 2021 which earned him a nomination for the RLPA’s Players’ Champion award and backed it up with the Tigers’ Players’ Player honour in 2022.

But the 23-year-old expects his game to go to lift again this season, declaring to foxsports.com.au: “I reckon this will probably be one of my best years.”

He’s put that down to the arrival of fellow former Panther Charlie Staines, who is another option at fullback.

“Me and him have been swapping in and out, I’ve been doing a little bit at five-eighth and he’s been doing a bit of wing,” Laurie said.

“It’s good to have him there, it keeps me on my toes. It’s friendly competition and it’s only going to make both of us better.”

The extra push has come at a good time too given Laurie’s contract expires at the end of the season.

He’s flying high with confidence heading into his third full NRL season and hopes that will help him secure a new deal with the club.

“I just want to get results with the team first and hopefully play some good footy and get a little contract extension... ‘Sheensy’ (coach Tim Sheens) and ‘Waz’ (recruitment manager Warren McDonnell), hopefully they sign me up again.”

“I’m happy to let the footy do the talking.

“This has probably been one of my best pre-seasons that I’ve had, especially with ‘Stainsey’ here and all the boys pushing for positions. I reckon this will probably be one of my best years.

“I’m feeling very confident and can’t wait to show it.”

Laurie is tipped to wear the No.1 jersey in Round 1, but outside of Staines he still has some hot competition in little-known rookie Jahream Bula — who played Jersey Flegg for the Tigers last season.

Sheens told The Sydney Morning Herald last month that Bula “will be a kid who comes out of nowhere,” and Laurie is also expecting big things from him this season.

“He’s been carving up,” Laurie said.

“He can play Flegg this year but I reckon you’ll see a lot of him in (NSW) Cup and you never know you might see him play first grade.”

It’s fresh faces like those that have lifted the mood around training and has “all the boys smiling” after what he conceded was a “tough” 2022 season.

Laurie noted the “aggression” of veteran prop David Klemmer and “control” of hooker Api Koroisau — both new recruits — as big additions for the team, while adding: “‘Ice’ (Isaiah Papali’i) is a wrecking ball so adds a bit of flair to the edge.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2023-daine-laurie-contract-extension-future-wests-tigers-fullback-charlie-staines/news-story/93fc00277aea70a4399b2ec4f2550796

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

A “very confident” Daine Laurie believes this will be his best season yet as he chases a new deal with the Wests Tigers.

Laurie enjoyed a breakout season in 2021 which earned him a nomination for the RLPA’s Players’ Champion award and backed it up with the Tigers’ Players’ Player honour in 2022.

But the 23-year-old expects his game to go to lift again this season, declaring to foxsports.com.au: “I reckon this will probably be one of my best years.”

He’s put that down to the arrival of fellow former Panther Charlie Staines, who is another option at fullback.

“Me and him have been swapping in and out, I’ve been doing a little bit at five-eighth and he’s been doing a bit of wing,” Laurie said.

“It’s good to have him there, it keeps me on my toes. It’s friendly competition and it’s only going to make both of us better.”

The extra push has come at a good time too given Laurie’s contract expires at the end of the season.

He’s flying high with confidence heading into his third full NRL season and hopes that will help him secure a new deal with the club.

“I just want to get results with the team first and hopefully play some good footy and get a little contract extension... ‘Sheensy’ (coach Tim Sheens) and ‘Waz’ (recruitment manager Warren McDonnell), hopefully they sign me up again.”

“This has probably been one of my best pre-seasons that I’ve had, especially with ‘Stainsey’ here and all the boys pushing for positions. I reckon this will probably be one of my best years.

Laurie is tipped to wear the No.1 jersey in Round 1, but outside of Staines he still has some hot competition in little-known rookie Jahream Bula — who played Jersey Flegg for the Tigers last season.

Sheens told The Sydney Morning Herald last month that Bula “will be a kid who comes out of nowhere,” and Laurie is also expecting big things from him this season.

“He can play Flegg this year but I reckon you’ll see a lot of him in (NSW) Cup and you never know you might see him play first grade.”

It’s fresh faces like those that have lifted the mood around training and has “all the boys smiling” after what he conceded was a “tough” 2022 season.

Laurie noted the “aggression” of veteran prop David Klemmer and “control” of hooker Api Koroisau — both new recruits — as big additions for the team, while adding: “‘Ice’ (Isaiah Papali’i) is a wrecking ball so adds a bit of flair to the edge.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2023-daine-laurie-contract-extension-future-wests-tigers-fullback-charlie-staines/news-story/93fc00277aea70a4399b2ec4f2550796

Hope its real. For this club to get back to success, we need to turn fullback from a weakness to strength and potentially from a pool of Laurie, Staines, Bula there is great depth.

851 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @tiger5150

Hope its real. For this club to get back to success, we need to turn fullback from a weakness to strength and potentially from a pool of Laurie, Staines, Bula there is great depth.

problem is all 3 of those guys are a fair way off being elite fullbacks 

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 467 / 1059
Share: