Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@southerntiger)
Wests Tigers Supporter

This positive media messaging is all about helping recruitment and retention. Very hard to recruit and retain when players think the club is a basketcase. That was a big reason why we lost the “Big 4” and have struggled to recruit over the last 10 years. 

Sheens is a very smart operator. 

We may not win a premiership in the next 5 years but we wont die wondering. 

ShiftySheens, Skippa13, Russtutty63 and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @skippa13

I’ve noticed lately that Sheens has consistently talked up the juniors in the media, I wonder to what purpose? Surely it’s counter productive to place high expectations on them, particularly in the media. The fan base are already buzzed with the new recruits, so it’s not like he needs to give us extra hope. Is it because he genuinely believes they are the best he’s seen and is confident they will deliver? Either way it’s giving me hope and that’s always dangerous as a tigers fan…

He doesn't identify players by name though. He just says "this crop" and "this group". Which is to signal to fans that Tigers are clearly focusing on promotion of juniors, if they hadn't already figured that out. And luckily Penrith have become a blueprint for how that can work spectacularly, not just the old Roosters/Storm idea of signing up the best 16 year olds from all around the country.

Skippa13, Russtutty63 and 851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

I’ve noticed lately that Sheens has consistently talked up the juniors in the media, I wonder to what purpose? Surely it’s counter productive to place high expectations on them, particularly in the media. The fan base are already buzzed with the new recruits, so it’s not like he needs to give us extra hope. Is it because he genuinely believes they are the best he’s seen and is confident they will deliver? Either way it’s giving me hope and that’s always dangerous as a tigers fan…

Maybe its to give the kids some self belief. Looking at the development of our juniors in the last 20 years there has only been one golden era and one common denominator, so ill back Sheens on it.

hsvjones, Mike, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @tiger5150

Maybe its to give the kids some self belief. Looking at the development of our juniors in the last 20 years there has only been one golden era and one common denominator, so ill back Sheens on it.

Sheens has named quite a large number of young players in that article, even if only half become quality NRL players we’ll be well off.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 and Skippa13 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

I’m liking the  recent messaging from the club, it’s much more direct and consistent. Clearly, the coaching staff and management are in agreeance with the strategic direction of the club. Last year was a debacle.

851, Salty, Skippa13 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

The best way to attract players is to win/ geography. The closer you are to the beach the more likely you are to snap up a decent player . The more you win the more likely you are to get a big time player . 
We start winning and it’s all good news stories . 

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Does anyone know much of Aitasi James? I've seen him play a few times in the State Cup comp', seemed a powerfully built fella and had some decent moments, just not as many as we would've hoped. Just saw a pic on the socials of him with a few of the other front rowers at the club and he looks fitter although cant be sure from just a pic I guess. But under a new coach and a different physical prep' he might improve and get a run at some point. He could be one of those guys who just take a bit longer to make it through too. Maybe seeing Pole step up might inspire him to give it a good crack this year. He's got a few in front of him though. I wonder if he or Tuki will make it this year.

ReplyQuote
(@davey-farrell)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

@russtutty63 i thought he looked great in reserve grade this year, i actually think he has a bit of skill and he gets a call u to first grade sometime later in the year.  He was one of the few forwards who actually went for forward for us last year and thats including first grade

Russtutty63 and WT2040 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@southerntiger)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Posted by: @helmesy

Posted by: @tiger5150

Sheens has named quite a large number of young players in that article, even if only half become quality NRL players we’ll be well off.

Not sure that was Sheens or Chammas himself. If it was Sheens, its surprising that Faagutu wasnt mentioned, given he is probably the standout of the lot.

In addition to those names, I am really keen to see what Sheens can make of Blore. 

Its amazing what happens when the club actually invests in junior development. The decision a few years ago to abandon junior development as too costly was one of the worst decisions this club has made.

The area we are lacking in is the halves. There are a few at HM and SG level but they are fair way away. Camroux is the closest to firsts (other than Will Smith) and I was very disappointed in him last year. Mind you, he was playing in a NSW Cup side that struggled and, as I recall, he was still eligible for Jersey Flegg.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

S Crichton moving on from Penrith at the end of this year. No great surprise - I assume he'll land at the dogs @ #1. Will be interesting to see how he goes with a lot more responsibility. 

If it wasn't before, the Moses stakes are now a straight shootout between us and Parra. 

ReplyQuote
(@cloudyglock)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Posted by: @cloudyglock

I heard you all missed me, so Im back!!!

I have not been idle however in my long absence and I can now announce exclusively here for the good people of the Wests Tigers Podcast that as the world waits on a decision from Mitchell Moses the Tigers are not dragging their feet and have made a very aggressive and ambitious move on Ethan Sanders, the Parramatta halfback in Jersey Flegg & SG Ball 2022. Stay tuned and watch this space!!!

Dont forget where you heard this first......exclusively....

Just saying...........

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@declan)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball Admin

@cloudyglock has anything happened yet lol ?

ReplyQuote
MOMO-AMP-MEDO
(@momo-amp-medo)
Junior Pathways

I heard you all missed me, so Im back!!!

I have not been idle however in my long absence and I can now announce exclusively here for the good people of the Wests Tigers Podcast that as the world waits on a decision from Mitchell Moses the Tigers are not dragging their feet and have made a very aggressive and ambitious move on Ethan Sanders, the Parramatta halfback in Jersey Flegg & SG Ball 2022. Stay tuned and watch this space!!!

Dont forget where you heard this first......exclusively....

Just saying...........

Ethan Sanders – Halfback

The hype around Ethan Sanders right now is only just starting to build and for the Parramatta Eels that is a very, very good thing. The young playmaker entered 2022 in his junior year of SG Ball eligibility (i.e. turning 18 in an U19s competition) and would quickly go on to become a core figure in the Jersey Flegg team. The significance of that feat should not be undersold – Sanders wasn’t just holding his own against young men up to 3 years older than him, he was often excelling.

Long time readers will know that even in all my usual excitement and optimism when it comes to young talent I always preach that talent evaluation (especially as a club outsider) is an imprecise science. There are so many variables on and off the field that can wildly impact the course of a prospects outlook. That is doubly true for young halfbacks and five-eighths where the burden of crushing expectations and positional volatility often collide in spectacularly nasty fashion.

I throw that cautionary reminder out once again because in Sanders I see a very complete playmaker. Even given his youthfulness he has shown he can excel in all three phases of offence. Be it running, passing or kicking he shown a proficiency comfortably beyond his years and he was desperately unlucky not be picked for the NSW U19s this year. Even in defence, typically the bane of a star young half, he has shown a level of application that bodes extremely well.

I have Sanders pencilled in as the presumptive heir to Mitchell Moses and I expect his star to rise in meteoric fashion sooner rather than later. Right now, I think the focus will be for him to dominate the Jersey Flegg in 2023 and force his way into the NSW Cup program where he will begin his advanced applied studies in playmaking.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

The only Sanders the wests tigers will be getting from Parramatta is the Colonel Sanders chicken Sheens and Marshall pick up from  KFC 

ReplyQuote
(@declan)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball Admin

@jedi-tiger it’s not like we need a half or anything …

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 434 / 941
Share: