Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

MOMO-AMP-MEDO
(@momo-amp-medo)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @frullens

Except both Api and Papali’i signed under Madge?

Nope …. check yor facts.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @russtutty63

@the-last-ronin So far their recruitment has been good, nobody been paid massive overs, in fact a few been brought in for less than what they might’ve been paid had they waited. We’re not in a position where we can buy a good, experienced half without paying overs for a number of reasons so I can understand them offering overs.

I might be an old man yelling at clouds here, but one of my few peeves with this forum is when someone hits "reply" instead of "quote" like RussTutty to The Last Ronin above (who I am just using as an example). It makes it hard to follow the discussion and what they are replying to and about.

My apologies. I’m 60 next month and I get a bit forgetful with that kind of thing. Keep telling myself to quote but always hit reply. Will try to make sure I quote in the future.

P.S. Funny thing is I initially hit reply for this and then went back to send this post with the quote. 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Until sheens came on board Madge couldn’t sign anyone. Prior to that his recruiting was atrocious. He inherited a poor team and made it 10x worse with his purchases.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Wasn’t Sheens in the Head of Football role, overseeing recruitment, at the time they signed? 

851 and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @momo-amp-medo

Nope …. check yor facts.

They both signed whilst Madge was coach, Sheens was Football GM....semantics?

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@frullens wasn’t Api persona non grata because of his refusal to vaccinate. Most clubs didn’t want to sign him because at the time there was talk he and Asofa Solomona were going to be rubbed out ? 
 He took the bird in the hand , not in the bush . 

And Paps was a kiwi who had had 1 good season ever , was offered double his then current wage , and parra were obviously banking on him having a regression . Also Madge was the kiwi coach , so he would have been offered a squad spot I’d say . 
Not sure if that’s a validation on Madge’s coaching or the fact he coached the kiwis. He definitely was the draw card for Paps . 
So 1 for 10 elite players. Not a good strike rate . I’m not a Madge hater at all, but it appears selling hope is a lot easier (Benji/sheens) than selling past glory . 

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

The fact that the club no longer leaks like a sieve speaks volumes about the professionalism of the current football department 

CanberraTiger, 851, Jedi Tiger and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

If you want a reflection of Madge as a coach and getting responses from the players go back and watch Tales From Tigertown (or whatever it was called). It was just a lot of ranting and raving, didn’t matter if it was a positive or negative performance from the team it was the same. Watch the players faces they had no response at all, just bored of it all. If I was a player at another club and watched that I’d avoid him entirely. 

851 and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

If you want a reflection of Madge as a coach and getting responses from the players go back and watch Tales From Tigertown (or whatever it was called). It was just a lot of ranting and raving, didn’t matter if it was a positive or negative performance from the team it was the same. Watch the players faces they had no response at all, just bored of it all. If I was a player at another club and watched that I’d avoid him entirely. 

Only so many times you can rant and rave before it becomes ineffective. 

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Sheens refused to take credit for getting the Papali’i deal over the line, and praised coach Michael Maguire for flagging the 23-year-old who can play on an edge or in the middle in the first place. Maguire will also relish the chance to work with Papali’i with New Zealand at next year’s World Cup.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sheens-lands-first-signing-with-papali-i-to-join-tigers-from-eels-20211118-p59a3v.html

Papi was signed 18 November 2021 - Sheens was appointed football director a week prior (promoted from football pathways where he wasn't involved in recruitment)

This post was modified 2 years ago by Frullens

Top 8 2023

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

Only so many times you can rant and rave before it becomes ineffective. 

I would have thought you should follow your own advice. Your "form" on this matter is well documented. 

ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Nope …. check yor facts.

It's not "semantics" it's fact. They signed to play with Michael Maguire as head NRL coach. Sheens sacked him, provided no support at all to Kimmorley that led to the club's first wooden spoon, chased hard on Ciraldo and failed (yet again ... his ESL record is appalling), had to reluctantly take on the NRL head coach himself because there was no alternative, with a succession plan to Marshall,  the great pretender and untried as coach. If this was an organization on the ASX it would be wound up for lack of due diligence and complete ineptitude.  

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Posted by: @lestronge

@frullens wasn’t Api persona non grata because of his refusal to vaccinate. Most clubs didn’t want to sign him because at the time there was talk he and Asofa Solomona were going to be rubbed out ? 

And Paps was a kiwi who had had 1 good season ever , was offered double his then current wage , and parra were obviously banking on him having a regression . Also Madge was the kiwi coach , so he would have been offered a squad spot I’d say . 
Not sure if that’s a validation on Madge’s coaching or the fact he coached the kiwis. He definitely was the draw card for Paps . 
So 1 for 10 elite players. Not a good strike rate . I’m not a Madge hater at all, but it appears selling hope is a lot easier (Benji/sheens) than selling past glory . 

How many other clubs were after Bateman from superleague? I didn't hear of any.

How many chase Staines this time round - after not cementing himself in 1st grade? I didn't hear of any? 

And I didn't hear of any clubs chasing Klemmer after falling out with his coach?

I'm happy with recruitment and sheens.

But he hasn't landed any big name being chased by other clubs. And those mentioned above are similar calibre to Madge signings in Hastings, Tamou, Kenny.

Also we did sign a number of the younger players than Sheens continually praise under Madge - ie Ute, Blore, Talau, Simpkins, Tapou, 

Madge had his flaws - but if you are going to judge him, judge sheens on the same measures 

Top 8 2023

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @mercy-rule

Nope …. check yor facts.

It's not "semantics" it's fact. They signed to play with Michael Maguire as head NRL coach. Sheens sacked him, provided no support at all to Kimmorley that led to the club's first wooden spoon, chased hard on Ciraldo and failed (yet again ... his ESL record is appalling), had to reluctantly take on the NRL head coach himself because there was no alternative, with a succession plan to Marshall,  the great pretender and untried as coach. If this was an organization on the ASX it would be wound up for lack of due diligence and complete ineptitude.  

Mate I agree that its a fact that Api and Papi signed under Madge, thats my point. My post was in response to momo saying "Nope...check your facts" in response to them signing under Madge. The only thing I could think of is that momo meant that it was under Sheens as GM Football and if so, IMO this is semantics because both of these players signed under madge as coach and thinking Madge was going to be Coach.

Im a fan of Madge as a bloke, not as a coach and Im glad Sheens got rid of him. I am 1000% more satisfied with the current direction of the club compared to 12 months ago, but it is a fact that cant be argued by anything other than semantics that Api and Papi signed whilst Madge was coach on the understanding that Madge would be coaching them.

Cqtiger, Russtutty63, lestronge and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @lestronge

How many other clubs were after Bateman from superleague? I didn't hear of any.

How many chase Staines this time round - after not cementing himself in 1st grade? I didn't hear of any? 

And I didn't hear of any clubs chasing Klemmer after falling out with his coach?

I'm happy with recruitment and sheens.

But he hasn't landed any big name being chased by other clubs. And those mentioned above are similar calibre to Madge signings in Hastings, Tamou, Kenny.

Also we did sign a number of the younger players than Sheens continually praise under Madge - ie Ute, Blore, Talau, Simpkins, Tapou, 

Madge had his flaws - but if you are going to judge him, judge sheens on the same measures 

Yes. Completely agree. 

ReplyQuote
Page 428 / 1067
Share: