Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @russtutty63

@the-last-ronin You’re right but in my opinion there won’t be as many of these juniors come through as hoped, at least not in the next 3 or 4 years. Just a guess but in that time 1 or 2 a year might start to get a run. There might be one or two in that time who are special talents but that’s it. So in my opinion when Benji takes over there might be only 1 or 2 of these juniors who we’ll really need to keep. If that’s the case they’ll be the ones we’ll need to ensure we lock in to contracts early. And hopefully have a continuous line of development players coming through like the Panthers. If the younger forwards with great potential like Stef, Pole & Blore can improve over that time then it makes things easier.

I think that’s the thing if Stef, Pole, Blore and Papi are all playing good football over the next two years they will be looking for upgrades. We need those guys to become the pack leaders and we need to try and keep them together which becomes harder if so much cap is tied up in one player. 

I’m all for Moses coming back as he is a quality player however let’s not burn ourselves down the track. The cap mis a delicate balancing act that we have gotten wrong time and time again so I am cautious about how we go about it. 

Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

@jedi-tiger that’s not happening!!

He and his partner are having a baby soon. 

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

Posted by: @tigerlily

https://twitter.com/nbwt__/status/1610929490376687619?s=61&t=aiCPluV9c6Wb0PO5GlkbGQ

Love the way the Tigers have given a subtle up yours to the media, by controlling the filming of the interview and what ever was shown of the player’s training. Obviously sick of the NRL media like the fans.

I think that was Marshall in that clip….I’m thinking it more day by day that he’s going to have one last season. Unless we don’t get Moses that is for this season. 

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@helmesy if the cap is 12 mil, which it’s never been before , there’s now 2 mil to throw around even with the floor raising by 50k . Say 5-10 players in the squad are on minimum that’s only 250k out of your cap . 
To expand on this teams like manly have had turbo and DCE taking up 2.5-3 mil for the last 3 years on a 10m salary cap. 

DCE has been on over 1.1mil for the last 7 years . Ona salary cap of 8m originally. 
I dont think a salary cap hit of 1.2-1.3m is a big deal on a 12m cap . It really isn’t when you consider most salaries we have for the next 2-3 years we’re signed under a 10m cap. It’s worked out very fortuitously for us. 
Parra for example are absolutely screwed , as they had key players coming off at the worst possible time . Right when the salary cap has been raised .

In other sports during this period has always lead to ridiculous salaries and contracts.Just look at the last EBA negotiation in the NBA . They had bench players on 15 m a year .For some teams it was diabolical cap management . 
and like I said , look at the eels contract for Brown . If he doesn’t improve and stays the same as he is , that’s a horrendous contract . 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

Just to add to my previous comment . The reason it isn’t a big deal chucking money at Moses that’s an extra 200-300k more than we should, is because of the absolute steals in api , paps , and even Bateman from what I’ve heard . Klemmers contract isn’t what it could have been either . 
With most of the elite juniors on 2-3 year deals right now , really that just leaves that’s final year or 2 of the Moses contract that might be an albatross . And that’s a huge maybe as well . Because the cap could rise again , by a mil or 2 . 
And if we can get brooks on 600k now , we have all our core apart from Moses being paid 2020 type salaries for a 2025 type salary cap . 

To me that’s smart cap management , as a he big thing that no one has even talked about , is we have to spend within 10% of the cap ceiling . So at minimum we have to spend 11 mil . 
In 2024 how are we going to achieve that ? Even with chucking 1.5 at Moses . We are going back to do well . So we might front load contracts knowing there will be a squeeze in 2025. Because it’s all gravy right now . 
for once we are benefiting from salary cap not being hindered by it .

This last bit sounds dumb , but I play a few sports games like NBA/ NFL/NHL, and I like building a squad . 
One of the big things I learned how to succeed in these games , in find 3-5 gun young players . Start them . And then pay above market value for yesterdays heroes , but still pretty good . Use them to build prestige and develop in a winning team . Then get rid of them once they start to fall off a cliff. Whilst real life doesn’t equal a video game for obvious reasons , I think the basic principle still should apply .

and when those gun young players are guns and want a kings ransom . That’s ok , because whilst they were in the top squad , you were doing the same thing with juniors you did previously , so you let them walk , unless you absolutely can’t because they’re a franchise player . 
But that’s ok too , because your team is usually a weapon at that point . 

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

Posted by: @hsvjones

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Parramatta Eels website, photos from training, interesting no photos of Mitchell Moses

They had new recruits hopgood, Mitch rein and the like about 10 photos in total 

Not getting my hopes up but I find it extremely hard to believe that if he was staying the club would have announced it by now and made a massive media deal about it.  

I think THE POM said his manager would advise this week of his decision, so fingers crossed 

It nearly has to be by weeks end now… season starts in 6-7 weeks if I’m not wrong.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

@lestronge I hear what you are saying, however, the cap is really hard to balance across a squad but for your lower tier players (your rookies, back ups and lower level first graders) you probably want something like this. $120 000 is minimum wage:

5 x $120 000

5 x $240 000

5 x $360 000

That’s $3 600 000 on lower tier players leaving $8 500 000 for the rest of the squad which is your quality guys

If you place $1 500 000 on one player that leaves $7 000 000 for 14 players

You’d want at least 5 other players in that $800 000 range which is $4 000 000 leaving $3 000 000 for 9 players.

If you average that out it is $330 000 each meaning you are loading up on more lower tier players. In that case you are banking on youth over performing or relying on players who can ‘do a job’ to carry the team.

Of course you need players like that but we need more players in the $600 - 800 thousand range if we are going to succeed.

Obviously all salaries are complete guesswork but the cap is difficult to get right.

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
 Yeti
(@yeti)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

@lestronge I hear what you are saying, however, the cap is really hard to balance across a squad but for your lower tier players (your rookies, back ups and lower level first graders) you probably want something like this. $120 000 is minimum wage:

5 x $120 000

5 x $240 000

5 x $360 000

That’s $3 600 000 on lower tier players leaving $8 500 000 for the rest of the squad which is your quality guys

If you place $1 500 000 on one player that leaves $7 000 000 for 14 players

You’d want at least 5 other players in that $800 000 range which is $4 000 000 leaving $3 000 000 for 9 players.

If you average that out it is $330 000 each meaning you are loading up on more lower tier players. In that case you are banking on youth over performing or relying on players who can ‘do a job’ to carry the team.

Of course you need players like that but we need more players in the $600 - 800 thousand range if we are going to succeed.

Obviously all salaries are complete guesswork but the cap is difficult to get right.

You also have to consider that some of these deals will have TPAs involved which 'free up' more of that salary cap for the middle tier players that every sqad has. Obviously it's impossible to know just how much the Tigers do have in hand, but one imagines that at least a significant portion of Moses' deal would be with TPAs

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

So here’s my look on things 

If we land Moses for 2024 then we run with Douehie/Brooks combo for ‘23. However these 2 only looked dangerous when Jacko was at 13. Therefore I’d be looking for a ball playing lock somewhere. Imo the ideal candidate is playing in the south of France. 
Yes !!!! Call me mad or whatever,but I’d offer M Pearce a one year deal (350K) and play him in his old man’s position. 

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

@loganr21 he’d be on more than that in the Super League surely he wouldn’t come back for one year on the cheap

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @Anonymous

So here’s my look on things 

If we land Moses for 2024 then we run with Douehie/Brooks combo for ‘23. However these 2 only looked dangerous when Jacko was at 13. Therefore I’d be looking for a ball playing lock somewhere. Imo the ideal candidate is playing in the south of France. 
Yes !!!! Call me mad or whatever,but I’d offer M Pearce a one year deal (350K) and play him in his old man’s position. 

That’s an out of left field suggestion! I think Bateman will play lock though.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Forever 9th reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

@the-last-ronin Understand that but it’s made easier if the younger guys like Stef start to have some success here. If still no finals after the next 2 seasons you can understand them wanting to look elsewhere. At the back end of a career is another option many players look at a good pay cheque. It’s almost a catch 22. If you miss out on a top class half you might get a half cheaper who turns out to be top class in a year or two then you’re looking at a massive up grade to keep them. Tom Dearden is an example. Currently on around $450,000 a season with the Cows his value will increase probably close to 100% should his form continue this season and he’s a 6. Similar to Dylan Brown. So you’d be upgrading a very good half in a few years anyway. Do you buy one now or wait and hope you have enough to have success? I guess that’s the biggest question for the club. I just want Benji to have what he wants then success or not rests totally on him and his players.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

@the-last-ronin Right now there’d be so many clubs trying to work with the new cap as well. It would be a really difficult job to get it right. I think, for us, we’ve got to look at the Panthers and kind of use them as a template for success in terms of building a squad. I haven’t got time to look into what they were like 3 or 4 years ago but that’s what I’d look at. Obviously a major part of what we do has to be the development side of things. If we fortunate enough to have a young half come through then that young guy would be up for a massive upgrade similar to Cleary. So whether you go out and look for an experienced half now or are lucky down the track it’s going to take a large slice of your cap at some point.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Russtutty63

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@the-last-ronin that’s half a million per player for those 14 players . That will get you a pretty good squad of your smart about it ie. 700k here 300k there ,600k , 400k and so on . You pay 2 more 1 mil each . That’s 12 for 5 mil that’s still 400k min each . 
that’s once again enough to get you a very handy player .

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

@lestronge I think $400K will get you players like we had in 2022 who aren’t really the guys you want to rely on too much. I guess we’ll see how it all plays out over the next few seasons as we seem to have a plan now which we didn’t before

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 426 / 1067
Share: