@helmesy yuck

Frullens and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @helmesy

Balmain legend Benny Elias says Mitchell Moses should stay with Parramatta Eels​

Dean Ritchie
EXCLUSIVE

He is the Balmain legend who will always hold an abiding love for his Wests Tigers.

But Ben Elias has a strong message for his nephew and Tigers target Mitchell Moses: “If you’re happy at Parramatta then re-sign.”

Moses, 28, comes off contract after next season and is wrestling with massive interest — all worth more than $1 million a season — from Parramatta, the Tigers and Canterbury.

The Bulldogs are also interested in off-contract Penrith centre Stephen Crichton, who the Panthers are trying to re-sign now that Origin winger Brian To’o has been retained until the end of 2027.

Like Parramatta, Penrith are battling an incredibly tight salary cap but still hope to make a respectable offer to Crichton, who is being courted to play fullback at Canterbury.

The Bulldogs may find it challenging to squeeze both Moses and Crichton under their burgeoning cap, as they also look to upgrade five-eighth Matt Burton’s contract.

While the Tigers remain keen on Moses, it goes against Elias’s black-and-gold heart to admit his nephew should remain an Eel.

“My belief has always been that you stay somewhere where you’re happy and life couldn’t be any better for Mitch. Sometimes you have to put family and blood over club loyalty,” Elias said.

“I totally understand Mitch’s dilemma and his frustration over what to do but he’s happy then he should stay.

“Parramatta are a great side so you’re comparing a grand final side with a team that got the wooden spoon. It’s a long year when you’re struggling, trust me so if you’re happy and you know it clap your hands.

“Selfishly I’d love him to come to the Tigers – a club that will always be in my heart – but if you’re after satisfaction and happiness then why shift clubs?

“What’s the saying? Better the devil you know.

“The Eels have been very good to Mitch so I reckon they’re the favourites. Parramatta is desperate to keep him and he wants to win a premiership.

“I get asked every day where Mitchell is going and, it’s only my opinion, but if he’s content, why move? Mitch loves Parramatta.

“Ever since I’ve known Mitch’s father, he has been a tragic Parramatta supporter. Those little things help make your decision.”

Moses has also attracted considerable interest from the Queensland-based Dolphins.

With a young family and now happily settled in Sydney’s inner-west, it appears increasingly unlikely Moses would uproot his life for Redcliffe.

“Mitch hasn’t told me whether Gus has contacted him but I know he is settled in Sydney and won’t leave,” Elias said.

“Any side that doesn’t have a halfback would want Mitchell Moses. Why wouldn’t you? Mitchell speaks well, he’s a great ambassador and a crowd-pleaser.

“I was with Andrew Johns on Saturday and Joey is a real big fan of Mitchell. All those great halfbacks, Joey, Peter Sterling, Johnathan Thurston, they all became great from the age of 26 onwards.”

I am no longer confident re Moses.

Frullens, 851, Russtutty63 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @helmesy

Balmain legend Benny Elias says Mitchell Moses should stay with Parramatta Eels​

Dean Ritchie
EXCLUSIVE

He is the Balmain legend who will always hold an abiding love for his Wests Tigers.

But Ben Elias has a strong message for his nephew and Tigers target Mitchell Moses: “If you’re happy at Parramatta then re-sign.”

Moses, 28, comes off contract after next season and is wrestling with massive interest — all worth more than $1 million a season — from Parramatta, the Tigers and Canterbury.

The Bulldogs are also interested in off-contract Penrith centre Stephen Crichton, who the Panthers are trying to re-sign now that Origin winger Brian To’o has been retained until the end of 2027.

Like Parramatta, Penrith are battling an incredibly tight salary cap but still hope to make a respectable offer to Crichton, who is being courted to play fullback at Canterbury.

The Bulldogs may find it challenging to squeeze both Moses and Crichton under their burgeoning cap, as they also look to upgrade five-eighth Matt Burton’s contract.

While the Tigers remain keen on Moses, it goes against Elias’s black-and-gold heart to admit his nephew should remain an Eel.

“My belief has always been that you stay somewhere where you’re happy and life couldn’t be any better for Mitch. Sometimes you have to put family and blood over club loyalty,” Elias said.

“I totally understand Mitch’s dilemma and his frustration over what to do but he’s happy then he should stay.

“Parramatta are a great side so you’re comparing a grand final side with a team that got the wooden spoon. It’s a long year when you’re struggling, trust me so if you’re happy and you know it clap your hands.

“Selfishly I’d love him to come to the Tigers – a club that will always be in my heart – but if you’re after satisfaction and happiness then why shift clubs?

“What’s the saying? Better the devil you know.

“The Eels have been very good to Mitch so I reckon they’re the favourites. Parramatta is desperate to keep him and he wants to win a premiership.

“I get asked every day where Mitchell is going and, it’s only my opinion, but if he’s content, why move? Mitch loves Parramatta.

“Ever since I’ve known Mitch’s father, he has been a tragic Parramatta supporter. Those little things help make your decision.”

Moses has also attracted considerable interest from the Queensland-based Dolphins.

With a young family and now happily settled in Sydney’s inner-west, it appears increasingly unlikely Moses would uproot his life for Redcliffe.

“Mitch hasn’t told me whether Gus has contacted him but I know he is settled in Sydney and won’t leave,” Elias said.

“Any side that doesn’t have a halfback would want Mitchell Moses. Why wouldn’t you? Mitchell speaks well, he’s a great ambassador and a crowd-pleaser.

“I was with Andrew Johns on Saturday and Joey is a real big fan of Mitchell. All those great halfbacks, Joey, Peter Sterling, Johnathan Thurston, they all became great from the age of 26 onwards.”

I am no longer confident re Moses.

Welcome to the club 😆

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 and Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

@helmesy yuck

Yep, with friends like these! 

Frullens and 851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

A bit of positive Twitter chat overnight, not sure how legit their info is.

49D89AAD 9003 459C 84F6 3FD3B61E8EDB

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dastigers)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@helmesy 

Yeah mate, Not sure how reliable the info is but good though.I thought Benny's story was interesting.

As soon as I read it,I thought,I don't think MM is playing for parra anymore.So he talks

them up to soften the blow..... I'm probably completely wrong though...Could still be the

dogs.Can't blame Benny if MM comes here or the dogs as he's talking up Parra.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @dastigers

@helmesy 

Yeah mate, Not sure how reliable the info is but good though.I thought Benny's story was interesting.

As soon as I read it,I thought,I don't think MM is playing for parra anymore.So he talks

them up to soften the blow..... I'm probably completely wrong though...Could still be the

dogs.Can't blame Benny if MM comes here or the dogs as he's talking up Parra.

I loved Benny as a player, but I don’t think he’s firing on all cylinders today.

851, dastigers and Peter A reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens can still recall working with Ben Kennedy, the premiership winner and international star forward who made the switch to league after graduating from St Joseph’s College and spending a few years in club rugby.

Nearly 30 years later, Sheens would love a similar success story with another Ben: Ben Houston, who also attended Joey’s, captained Randwick’s First XV this winter, and is now chasing his own NRL dream.

Houston, 23, was handed a $1000-a-week train-and-trial deal and no certainty to land a top-30 spot at the Tigers.

He had to spend the first couple of weeks learning how to play the ball again and adjusting to the 10m rule. As a proud No.6 in rugby, Houston also had to break the habit of wanting to forever drift out to the edges in search of the ball.

Should Houston fall short in his quest to land a deal, he knows he can return to the Galloping Greens, and put his recently completed construction design degree to good use.

At 196cm and 104kg, Houston, a budding front-tower, says he has loved every minute of pre-season training with the Tigers, learned plenty from new recruit David Klemmer, and set himself the lofty goal of going all the way.

Sheens was never going to compare Houston to Kennedy, who he recruited during his time at the Canberra Raiders, but pointed out a strong rugby background was never a bad thing when it came to making the switch.

“I’ve seen some outstanding guys come across from rugby and go on with it, with Ben Kennedy being your classic success story,” Sheens told the Herald.

“Ben had played a bit of league as a kid, and we picked him up when he was playing rugby with Manly.

“Ben Houston has the rugby background, also went to Joey’s, he’s a good athlete, a big, rangy guy who is full-on with everything he does.

“The fact he was captain at Randwick and their leading tackler, I was happy for us to have a look at him.

“At this point he’s improving with every session, his attitude has been great, he moves well, now it’s just a case of giving him an opportunity to see how he goes in a game.”

Houston played in a Waratahs A game in September, but any progression into the Super Rugby set-up “fizzled out”. A family friend of his father, Mark, a long-time first-grader with Eastwood, gauged interest from some league clubs about a summer trial, and the Tigers agreed.

Houston played league as a kid, including a few seasons with North Sydney Brothers – as a five-eighth – and said Klemmer’s input had been priceless.

“He’s been unreal, and he’s almost taken me under his wing a bit,” Houston said.

“He’s a terrific player and learned so much from him already. It’s also easier seeing a taller player do what he does, so then I know where to put my arms and legs.

“My mates are now at the age where they feel the contact from being hit in rugby more, and are starting to knuckle down in their work careers.

“I’ve already got my degree to fall back on, so I really want to test myself and see how far I can go. The goal is to land a top-30 contract.”

The Tigers have 28 players signed for next season, and do not have to add their final two spots until the middle of the year. John Bateman is expected to fill one of those spots before the season kicks off, while Parramatta’s Nathan Brown has met and impressed Sheens, but the club are mindful of having too many middles.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/randwick-captain-s-bold-bid-to-earn-stripes-as-prop-with-wests-tigers-20221212-p5c5pj.html

851 and dastigers reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@avocadoontoast I wouldnt assume that Benny knows anything. He's got form as a rent a quote so you wouldn't let him in on anything you wanted to keep a secret.

Michelle Bishop update this morning on SEN this morning

- Dogs havent made an offer to Moses. Its between Tigers and Eels

- Dogs definitely want Crichton to play fullback but they cannot afford Chricton and Moses

https://www.sen.com.au/programs/breakfast-with-vossy-and-brandy/

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @mickb

@avocadoontoast I wouldnt assume that Benny knows anything. He's got form as a rent a quote so you wouldn't let him in on anything you wanted to keep a secret.

- Dogs definitely want Crichton to play fullback but they cannot afford Chricton and Moses

well that’s exciting

ReplyQuote
(@declan)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball Admin

@mickb Please just put me out of my misery…

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @declan

You might not be disappointed until January Declan 😆

ReplyQuote
(@851)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @mickb

Gus is a liar, he said a thousand times we don't want Ciraldo, we haven't spoken to Ciraldo, this club needs an experienced coach, he is staying at Penrith, the Tigers offering a 5 year deal is just desperate. Ciraldo signs a 5 year deal at the Dogs, same thing with JAC, Gus lies and tries to deflect to the media of making stuff up

This post was modified 1 year ago by 851

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Look , if Moses wants to go to the dogs he will go to the dogs . He has the opportunity to play with his friends here , re-shape hus tigers narrative and ultimately potentially shape a winning culture where he can look back on with pride . 
If that’s not enticing to him , and the dogs and eels offers are more attractive for whatever reason , then I don’t think there’s much more can be done . 
In the past we had mismanagement, poor facilities , no money ,a bad reputation etc . 
Im not sure outside of having a roster that was inferior that any of that is applicable anymore . 

Im not as panicked as others on here . Whilst Moses definitely jumpstarts the rebuild hugely , It’s not the be all end all . Someone always becomes available every year . 
Deardon eg . Was going nowhere at the broncos , goes to the cowboys and is the qld half for the foreseeable future . 
that happened almost over night . 

LoganR21, super coach, Joel Helmes and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @declan

I think its worth noting that the club is in a lot better position right now so the Moses outcome is important to us but not critical.

In past summers when we missed out on the likes of Latrell and Addo Carr we were left with some pretty ordinary players to choose from.

Our current halves options of AD, Brooks & Laurie are all of contract and haven't been linked to any club for 2024. With all 3 playing for a contract fans can expect good performances from those guys.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 383 / 945
Share: