Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@Anonymous 79)

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @russtutty63

@tiger5150 The Eels know they’ll have a job keeping both but they still could. They’ll be throwing a lot at them especially if the ‘cap’ increases substantially. I think if the Tigers are to get either of them it will probably be for well & truly overs. If the $1.4 million ( or $1.6, I can’t recall) a season for Munster was anything to go by then I’d expect, if Benji wants one of them, it’ll be a very big offer.

FWIW they are more confident of keeping Brown than Moses...

What we don’t want and have for many years now had 2 6’s as our halves. To me there’s only one option, and that’s Moses.

Makes sense to me. I expect Brown to be cheaper than Moses despite being younger. IMO Brown is like Benji light or a Shaun johnson type player, a running 5/8,  whereas Moses is more like a classic halfback with a better passing and kicking game.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

Posted by: @russtutty63

If the Tigers miss out on Moses or Brown, and it’s quite possible they will, where do they look for another 6 or 7?

Because we simply can’t move forward into season ‘24 with L Brooks in a 7 jumper. 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@loganr21 behind that pack we can have Brooks at 7 if we couldn't get Moses and we went for a jack wighton or something that would work

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

@loganr21 behind that pack we can have Brooks at 7 if we couldn't get Moses and we went for a jack wighton or something that would work

hmm no thanks. I rate brooks skills (speed, strength, short ball, defence) but I do not rate his ability to manage a game or lift in the moment to take the game by the scruff of the neck and just win. I’m happy for him to play 6 but I would be targeting a top 8 half back for big dollars before I would target another 6.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

hmm no thanks. I rate brooks skills (speed, strength, short ball, defence) but I do not rate his ability to manage a game or lift in the moment to take the game by the scruff of the neck and just win. I’m happy for him to play 6 but I would be targeting a top 8 half back for big dollars before I would target another 6.

Yep, a game manager is required for the 7 jersey.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@helmesy not many out there Hastings far too slow. George Williams about the only one but he will not be released. 

Plenty of good 6's on the market if we miss Moses in 2024 and Brown. Sheens and benji will help Brooks, Cleary did well with him and behind this pack he can be a good 7.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @southerntiger

I registered on this site a while ago but had problems posting. So, I think this is mu first post.

Inspired by the excitement over the Sheens/Marshall approach to recruitment and retention.

Its clear to me that Sheens has learnt the lesson of having a small pack and has deliberately sought out a big pack this time around.

The Klemmer addition is great. A world class prop still in the prime of his game at 28 years. With Pole and Stef, we are going to have a great middle for the next few years.

Sheens focus on juniors feels like back to the future. There is real excitement about what he is doing. I think we had forgotten what is what like to have a coach who brings juniors through. 

Sheens eye for young talent is second to none and the promotion of Justin M for this year is very exciting. He looks like a real Sheens player. Ball playing middle forward but with size.

What became clear to me in recent years is how poor Madge was at recruitment and retention. The Peachey recruitment was the final straw for me. How anyone thought he would add value to our side I never knew. I reckon the Titans must have thought "We got our Alan Bond moment" here when we said we wanted him.

Two things have really impressed me with Sheens.

Firstly, he didnt buy into the hype over Hastings. Jackson played the media and the fans very well. But, when you actually looked at his performances on the field, he did very little. His passing game is poor, he is slow and he has a fairly mediocre kicking game. The media focused on his "touches" as if that meant he was a star when, in reality, it just meant he caught the balled and passed on his inside to a forward standing still. A pass directly from acting half would have been far better in the modern game. My prediction is that within 12 months fans are going to be very happy with the decision to cut Jackson loose.

Secondly, he has not worried about retaining AD at all costs. He recognises that AD can play a role and, if we can keep him, great. But, he is not a superstar and you would be crazy to pay superstar prices for him. A lot of fans seems to think we should keep AD for his heart along. Sheens is clearly not worried about being unpopular in the short term.

This is in stark contrast the approach we have taken in the past - for example, re-signing Nofo and, to a lesser degree, paying big money to retain Brooks.

We are finally making calm, mature decisions when it comes to recruitment and retention. The days of emotional signings/re-signings are over.

It feels good to finally have a coach back who knows how to build a successful team.

Good times ahead.

Great first post Southern Tiger. You expressed my thoughts almost exactly.

Peter A and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

Yes that could work with Wighton, but it all hinges on his form next season. Previous seasons don’t give me a lot of confidence though. Even when he had a good pack behind him.

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

The Bateman talk has really died down. Maybe we’re better off putting those funds/that roster spot towards the halves or the backs? 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @helmesy

The Bateman talk has really died down. Maybe we’re better off putting those funds/that roster spot towards the halves or the backs? 

I think Bateman is a key signing. We don’t have anyone currently on our roster who can play on the other side. Blore and Talau have been out for over a year, they need time in reserve grade.

hsvjones and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@helmesy I heard it’s just waiting on him finding someone to buy his house, and find a place here . He’s got time , as he wouldn’t be due back until January anyway. 
It’s probably quiet because it’s considered a formality, and new corp can’t write a “tigers are crap because X “ article at the moment .

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Rothfield DT

SHEENS’ SECRET BROWN TALKS
Tim Sheens has secretly met Parramatta Eels forward Nathan Brown as he looks to further strengthen Wests Tigers’ pack.

The pair were spotted having a coffee at Bar Biscotti in Strathfield on Wednesday.

Brown is under contract to the Eels next season but was given permission to negotiate with rival clubs midway through last season.

He was not used by coach Brad Arthur at the back end of the season until finally getting a start in the 17-man grand final squad.

Wests Tigers have already strengthened their pack with the additions of Dave Klemmer, Isaiah Papali’i and hooker Api Koroisau.

Adding Brown, 29, would leave them with one of the more experienced forward packs in the comp.

Brown would play at lock, the position originally earmarked for Jackson Hastings before he quit the club to play halfback for Newcastle Knights

MickeyB and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Rothfield DT

SHEENS’ SECRET BROWN TALKS
Tim Sheens has secretly met Parramatta Eels forward Nathan Brown as he looks to further strengthen Wests Tigers’ pack.

The pair were spotted having a coffee at Bar Biscotti in Strathfield on Wednesday.

Brown is under contract to the Eels next season but was given permission to negotiate with rival clubs midway through last season.

He was not used by coach Brad Arthur at the back end of the season until finally getting a start in the 17-man grand final squad.

Wests Tigers have already strengthened their pack with the additions of Dave Klemmer, Isaiah Papali’i and hooker Api Koroisau.

Adding Brown, 29, would leave them with one of the more experienced forward packs in the comp.

Brown would play at lock, the position originally earmarked for Jackson Hastings before he quit the club to play halfback for Newcastle Knights

I like it, hope it happens.

Bateman, Papali’i and Brown with some very handy options off the bench gives us a lot of options.

MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@helmesy if parra are throwing in a fair bit of coin he is a pretty good option. We would have a very strong pack good enough to get us in the semis 2023

8. joffa

9. Api

10. klemmer

11. papali

12. Bateman

13. Brown

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@helmesy not sure if brown would play 13 or Bateman ?

ReplyQuote
Page 361 / 1067
Share: