10. Stef

9. Api

8. Joffa

11. Papali

12. Bateman 

No excuses for brooks he has a bloody good pack of forwards 

And Klemmer 😆 

Yep, no more excuses.

For the 8th time. Don’t worry, another year of failure and another excuse will be thrown up. 

Celtic_Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @mike

Posted by: @helmesy

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

@helmesy 

With a forward pack of

10. Stef

9. Api

8. Joffa

11. Papali

12. Bateman 

And Klemmer 😆 

Yep, no more excuses.

For the 8th time. Don’t worry, another year of failure and another excuse will be thrown up. 

I don't think there will need be excuses. If we land Klemmer and Bateman (which is looking likely) we're entering 2023 with a much improved roster and a massively upgraded coaching staff. I'm looking forward to next season - first time i've thought that in a while.

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

@helmesy 

With a forward pack of

10. Stef

9. Api

8. Joffa

11. Papali

12. Bateman 

And Klemmer 😆 

Yep, no more excuses.

I don't think there will need be excuses. If we land Klemmer and Bateman (which is looking likely) we're entering 2023 with a much improved roster and a massively upgraded coaching staff. I'm looking forward to next season - first time i've thought that in a while.

I hope Brooks has a stellar year. But if he doesn’t another excuse will be found. 

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

@helmesy 

With a forward pack of

10. Stef

9. Api

8. Joffa

11. Papali

12. Bateman 

And Klemmer 😆 

Yep, no more excuses.

I hope Brooks has a stellar year. But if he doesn’t another excuse will be found. 

Thing is, we need a game plan that suits his strengths and I think that’s something Sheens might be able to implement. Brooks success in 23 will be judged, in my opinion, on how many points we score. If he’s able to hit his targets as a creative/ball running half and the team gains momentum then it will be the right decision to stick with him. Who manages the team though is another question and maybe where Api K is a point of difference to recent seasons.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Barra, Peter A and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Celtic_Tiger
(@celtic_tiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@helmesy 

With a forward pack of

10. Stef

9. Api

8. Joffa

11. Papali

12. Bateman 

And Klemmer 😆 

Yep, no more excuses.

And herein lies the issue with Brooks. It's always someone else's fault that he hasn't succeeded and the club have never truly held him accountable for bad performances.

The idea that Sheens will get the best out of him is just feeding into the narrative that it was previous coaches who were to blame and you can add them to the list along with forwards, halves partners etc.

If any coach is indeed going to improve his performances the first thing they should be doing is sitting him down and making him own his own shortcomings and acknowledging that he needs to be better in the big moments in games if he wants to continue to play first grade NRL.

Unfortunately his interview late last year when he talked about making a selfish decision for his next contract showed an astonishing lack of self awareness and an inability to see his own part in the clubs failures.

Until this changes I can't see any significant improvement on the horizon.

ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Sad to hear Hastings is on the way out but if he was adamant about only wanting to play 7 and Sheens adamant he plays 13 there could only be this result.

It worries me greatly that we are now very skinny in our halves stocks though, especially for next year. I just can't see Brooks succeeding in the organising halves roll and neither is AD so unless there is something else in the works I see 2023 as being yet another roller coaster. And I struggle to visualise Laurie working in the halves, not only would this be a new combination but a new position for him. He would have so much learning to do and all the time being a target for opposition packs to run into.

I do like the idea of Williams being signed though. Maybe if Moses falls through this could come into play? When is Williams off contract? I can't see us paying another transfer fee if we've done so for Bateman...

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@jedi-tiger I’ll top that mate . Tupou to supplant Maumalo . 
tin foil hat prediction ; Ken ends up in the back row at some point next year .

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

A prop rotation of Klemmer , Stefano , Joffa Twal , Pole and potentially brown , is chefs kiss IMO. 
I felt so bad for joffa last year as he’d often have to run it back after a Fairbairn type , who got smashed and now he was running into a defence on the front foot . 

next year he should be following a Klemmer or stef run , so he can utilise his own strengths of getting between defenders and playing the ball quickly . 

I honestly don’t see how Klemmer Bateman arnt an absolute huge upgrade on Hastings . Like what would Hastings Pkus minus be . Wins above replacement? 
Klemmer is a much better footballer than Hastings . And you watch the absolute Pacific highway down Hastings corridor next year . Especially because Barnett isn’t there anymore . And frizzle isn’t the player he used to be . 
I give it 1 month before the press start writing articles about what happened to Hastings . As if it wasn’t apparent all this year . 
For me I need people who can tackle and are fast . That’s 2 attributes I’d want that are non negotiable in a half . 
Otherwise if a half is madden level bad defensively you’re starting from a 2 try deficient before you even run on the field .

so a minus 8 points .Brooks isn’t the game manager but he’s at the very least a -0 before a ball is kicked . 
That’s what I see . That’s what I think the club sees as well .you can’t win a game in the first 10 minutes , but you can definitely lose it . 

MickeyB and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @celtic_tiger

@helmesy 

With a forward pack of

10. Stef

9. Api

8. Joffa

11. Papali

12. Bateman 

And Klemmer 😆 

Yep, no more excuses.

And herein lies the issue with Brooks. It's always someone else's fault that he hasn't succeeded

Says who though. Ive never heard anything close to this from him.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

I think there is a silver lining in all this Newcastle shenanigans. Tigers have their "mediocre Three" all up for grabs at the moment, JH, LB & AD. I could make a case for keeping each or all of them, but at what price? Obviously the hardest part of these negotiations is finding the price at which you are happy with and at which they would stay. In all of these long drawn out scenario with Newcastle, we know two things. The price a club similar to us (desperate) is willing to pay for JH & LB. This is very valuable and from there the club can make plans. I am sure this is part of what is going on with Hastings/Klemmer.

lestronge reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @barra

Sad to hear Hastings is on the way out but if he was adamant about only wanting to play 7 and Sheens adamant he plays 13 there could only be this result.

It worries me greatly that we are now very skinny in our halves stocks though, especially for next year. I just can't see Brooks succeeding in the organising halves roll and neither is AD so unless there is something else in the works I see 2023 as being yet another roller coaster. And I struggle to visualise Laurie working in the halves, not only would this be a new combination but a new position for him. He would have so much learning to do and all the time being a target for opposition packs to run into.

I do like the idea of Williams being signed though. Maybe if Moses falls through this could come into play? When is Williams off contract? I can't see us paying another transfer fee if we've done so for Bateman...

Might be wishful thinking. Bateman's Partner is Australian so that is why he is coming back. Williams has no links to Australia so no need to come back out as far as I can see.

When asked about it this week he said "never say never."

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @tigerbennyb

George Williams was very good , but we are extending brooks until 2030 by the sounds of it. 

We are going to need another half, Williams or Moses fits the bill. Doueihi is not it.

Savvy reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @mickb

Posted by: @barra

Might be wishful thinking. Bateman's Partner is Australian so that is why he is coming back. Williams has no links to Australia so no need to come back out as far as I can see.

When asked about it this week he said "never say never."

His partner and child are already out here, he will be soon as well.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@mattvtiger)
Junior Pathways

The memories of beating Parra and Souths back to back were the highlights of the season for me. However, if you look at the results with Jacko at half, they are mixed (at best).

Wests Tigers 21 vs Parra 20 - Round 6

Wests Tigers 23 vs Souths 22 - Round 7

Dragons 12 vs Wests Tigers 6 - Round 8

Sea Eagles 36 vs Wests Tigers 22 - Round 9

Cowboys 36 vs Wests Tigers 12 - Round 10

Wests Tigers 36 vs Bulldogs 22 - Round 11

Souths 44 Vs Wests Tigers 18 - Round 12

Manly 30 vs Wests Tigers 4 - Round 13

Bulldogs 36 vs Wests Tigers 12 - Round 15

Warriors 22 vs Wests Tigers 2 - Round 16

Parra 28 vs Wests Tigers 20 - Round 17

Wins 3

Losses 8

Average points scored: 16 points per game. 

In the games we got blown away, the forwards couldn't match it with the opposition and the halves never had the opportunity to get into the game.. However in the closer games, where we fell short, we lacked the strike power across the park when the game is on the line. 

While Hastings isn't to blame for this, I remember feeling that we became too predictable in these games. Hastings became the focal point our attack and defences figured it out.

Once he moved to 13, we had different options on each side of the ruck, allowing for a bit more unpredictability in our play (plus some outstanding forward performances to assist).

Disappointing he cannot stick around as a 13, but I still think that if he wants to remain a 7, he is not the answer for the club.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @mattvtiger

The memories of beating Parra and Souths back to back were the highlights of the season for me. However, if you look at the results with Jacko at half, they are mixed (at best).

Wests Tigers 21 vs Parra 20 - Round 6

Wests Tigers 23 vs Souths 22 - Round 7

Dragons 12 vs Wests Tigers 6 - Round 8

Sea Eagles 36 vs Wests Tigers 22 - Round 9

Cowboys 36 vs Wests Tigers 12 - Round 10

Wests Tigers 36 vs Bulldogs 22 - Round 11

Souths 44 Vs Wests Tigers 18 - Round 12

Manly 30 vs Wests Tigers 4 - Round 13

Bulldogs 36 vs Wests Tigers 12 - Round 15

Warriors 22 vs Wests Tigers 2 - Round 16

Parra 28 vs Wests Tigers 20 - Round 17

Wins 3

Losses 8

Average points scored: 16 points per game. 

In the games we got blown away, the forwards couldn't match it with the opposition and the halves never had the opportunity to get into the game.. However in the closer games, where we fell short, we lacked the strike power across the park when the game is on the line. 

While Hastings isn't to blame for this, I remember feeling that we became too predictable in these games. Hastings became the focal point our attack and defences figured it out.

Once he moved to 13, we had different options on each side of the ruck, allowing for a bit more unpredictability in our play (plus some outstanding forward performances to assist).

Disappointing he cannot stick around as a 13, but I still think that if he wants to remain a 7, he is not the answer for the club.

Hastings is no world beater. None of our halves are any good tbh. AD is too full of himself and can't tackle, Hastings is (was) too slow and is a divisive personality, and Brooks can't handle any pressure without turning to water.

If we had the luxury of getting rid of all three and replacing them, I think Sheens would do it.  

lestronge reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 336 / 973
Share: