Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

if we do lose Brooks wish Sheens would go after George Williams he has a 3 year deal until end of 2024 but what does a contract mean in ESL really. 

LoganR21 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @garry
Posted by: @celtic_tiger
Posted by: @lestronge

@tiger-symmetry  I think I explained myself pretty well I thought . I’m more alluding to the idea , which I continuously read on here , Facebook, the other forum , that Hastings is a galvanising force to whip all these soft tigers into something . And to more of a degree , this idea that he should be at half , where defensively and creatively I really don’t see it . I see it , if it’s 2015 and Blake green is your half , but not in this new era of vlandys ball . Where’s dynamic half who can get on the outside is an absolute must . 
even the podcast had large portions of it, talking about how AD and Hastings should be our halves . 
this isn’t to say Hastings is a bad footballer . Actually I think at 13 he could easily play origin , in a winning footy team, but more to the idea that he’s a 2022 half . I really don’t see it . And I’m pushing back on how a guy who at times can be alienating by his very nature , despite being a great bloke , can be a galvanising force to a team structure . Point is he’s an omega in a team structure . That’s rarely the person to galvanise a team behind . And definitely by his very nature of being comfortable on the edges of a social dynamic like a team, generally leads to conflict with alpha types , and beta types . I identify completely with everything he says and his attitude, and his actions . I’m not questioning his desire , buy in , ability to engage fans , quality as a human , none of it . What I’m questioning is , whether 29 other blokes with strong personality types will get behind it . 
The only reason someone like Kobe Bryant or MJ could be such huge jerks, and lead like that from the edges , is because they were so much better than everyone else

I don't know if I have ever called for Hastings and Ad combo. lol

At this point I would 100% keep Brooks.

We haven’t seen a Hastings AD combo but we have seen a Brooks Hastings combo and it didn’t work.

I don't see any pairing of 2 of Hastings/ Brooks/ AD working. They all have too many weaknesses as halves.

If our pack really starts to start working well and starts to punch defenses back I can see all these combinations working in the short term. Long term we need change

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@lestronge Cheers mate,I appreciate where your coming from in terms of your summation of his psychology/character type and whether he commands the respect to get the other 29 squad members to fall in line and follow.Obviously you’ve thought long and hard on it.

As to whether Jacko is actually Omega,beta,or Alpha I’m not really up for making those distinctions.

I still believe from what I’ve seen he’s definitely captain material and was being lighthearted and jocular when I said it was blindingly obvious that he’s the man.Anyway,no doubt we’ll find out in due course,I just hope that we can get an extension of his services,captain or not.

lestronge reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @lestronge

@tiger-symmetry  I think I explained myself pretty well I thought . I’m more alluding to the idea , which I continuously read on here , Facebook, the other forum , that Hastings is a galvanising force to whip all these soft tigers into something . And to more of a degree , this idea that he should be at half , where defensively and creatively I really don’t see it . I see it , if it’s 2015 and Blake green is your half , but not in this new era of vlandys ball . Where’s dynamic half who can get on the outside is an absolute must . 
even the podcast had large portions of it, talking about how AD and Hastings should be our halves . 
this isn’t to say Hastings is a bad footballer . Actually I think at 13 he could easily play origin , in a winning footy team, but more to the idea that he’s a 2022 half . I really don’t see it . And I’m pushing back on how a guy who at times can be alienating by his very nature , despite being a great bloke , can be a galvanising force to a team structure . Point is he’s an omega in a team structure . That’s rarely the person to galvanise a team behind . And definitely by his very nature of being comfortable on the edges of a social dynamic like a team, generally leads to conflict with alpha types , and beta types . I identify completely with everything he says and his attitude, and his actions . I’m not questioning his desire , buy in , ability to engage fans , quality as a human , none of it . What I’m questioning is , whether 29 other blokes with strong personality types will get behind it . 
The only reason someone like Kobe Bryant or MJ could be such huge jerks, and lead like that from the edges , is because they were so much better than everyone else

I don't know if I have ever called for Hastings and Ad combo. lol

At this point I would 100% keep Brooks.

We haven’t seen a Hastings AD combo but we have seen a Brooks Hastings combo and it didn’t work.

I don't see any pairing of 2 of Hastings/ Brooks/ AD working. They all have too many weaknesses as halves.

This may be true but unfortunately we have no realistic chance of recruiting anyone better so we need to fashion some kind of functioning halves pairing out of what we have.

Which is why I believe we are looking at playing 3 halves again, I will be very surprised if we release Brooks.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

if we do lose Brooks wish Sheens would go after George Williams he has a 3 year deal until end of 2024 but what does a contract mean in ESL really. 

I agree, good player. He went back to the UK because he was homesick?

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@helmesy yeah he did means probably won't cone back but Stuart gave him a bagging when he left

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Sheens is all about attack

I think you have much more attacking options with 3 halves in 6, 8 & 13 compared with the traditional 6,7 combo. 

The players may change over time, but I would guess that we such with a 3 pronged halves combo

Top 8 2023

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@celtic_tiger sorry mate , but I don’t know what football matches you’ve been watching for 2-3 years of AD. 

this is either internet karma points , usually reserved for the other forum on this topic , or , I dunno actually . I don’t mean offended personally but offensive to the intelligence, like debating 1 plus 1 equals 2 . 
I really hate these types of conversations .

Somehow we have all decided to dig trenches on our favourite halves , across the fan base rather than be honest about what we are watching . 
I prefer brooks to any half we have had here the last 10 years , outside benji . Including early Moses . No other half has come close to supplanting him. They’ve all had flashes but really lack consistency. 
The big reason is his defence . This isn’t however locked in like it’s brooks or bust. I’ve gone on record saying he should go to the knights ample times, but last year was a real indication of how much our smallest guy on the field was tightening our left edge . 
With him gone we need the guys who honestly should have always been the ones, like the centre and edge back rower to be the strength in the edge defence . 
But AD , is absolutely horrendous defensively . And this isn’t new. I called it in 2021 prior to his injuries , that his first contact is jersey grabbing stuff. When he played fullback , he would cover tackle with shoulder charges , even though he was a mountain on most of the guys he was smashing into touch . 
His technique is flawed , and he defends like someone who knows it IMO. 
By the way , you know how I know I’m right ? Is the fact every team attacked him relentlessly , which caused compression on the edge , which caused huge issues on his wing . 
He needs to understand he’s an absolute unit . He looks like he still thinks he’s the tall lanky kid . 
This guy as bad as he has played this year , is still our future captain , but he will never ever ever reach his true potential , which to me is at the very least a blue jersey ,  but really should be in the dally m conversation . 

people say it’s his ball hogging that’s the issue . Which I don’t personally care about as much with a ball playing fullback. Because he is the best weapon we have , so the ball should be in the best weapons hands . 
I absolutely rate the kid . As a person and a footballer . But he needs to take a a leap , and we as wests tigers need him to as well . 

LoganR21, Jedi Tiger, Peter A and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@momo-amp-medo I get the whole shadow of your dad thing , but geez I wonder what could have been for him and us , if he wanted to forge his own legacy. Sure he won a premiership, which of course trumps anything I’m about to say , but he could have been legendary here in a way only Benji and Robbie could ever understand .
somehow despite all his success his career just has an aura of disappointment on it. Which is entirely not fair . But nonetheless true .
If Luke did leave , this would be a great option .

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@frullens whether it is brooks Hastings AD whoever, it does look like Sheens is wanting that ball playing lock at 13 and 2 running five eigths 

I don't think a Joffa type third prop type of player is in Sheens plans for 13 

ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@helmesy I totally agree the one great unknown in all of this is Sheens we can discuss players all day but the big variable is Sheens and there certainly will be a Benji effect …there obviously has been a reset in attitude of the playing group..I am actually getting a bit excited about next season in the sense of a change in player attitude not the expectation of major success, just watching a team that wants to challenging every week would be satisfying knowing the reset has begun .There will be surprises one thinks as this supporter has a long memory hopefully many better than not , The Sheens /Benji combo will be a interesting to say the least who knows what will eventuate at least it will be different from the last 3 seasons.

Salty, Joel Helmes and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
Tiger_Alex
(@tiger_alex)
Junior Pathways

Whatever anyone thoughts on Hastings play style...

One thing I've noticed, any players that seem to have any issue with him are ones that you'd question their attitude for a first grade player anyhow...

He seems to just speak truths and not everybody likes hearing they are playing like crap and need to pick it up... but it is the exact type of captain we as the current wooden spooners need... someone to set the standards that all others need to follow or get called out on it.

Simple as that as I see it... which to me makes Hastings resigning the most important.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @tiger_alex

Whatever anyone thoughts on Hastings play style...

One thing I've noticed, any players that seem to have any issue with him are ones that you'd question their attitude for a first grade player anyhow...

He seems to just speak truths and not everybody likes hearing they are playing like crap and need to pick it up... but it is the exact type of captain we as the current wooden spooners need... someone to set the standards that all others need to follow or get called out on it.

Simple as that as I see it... which to me makes Hastings resigning the most important.

He's not afraid to speak his mind, but that has also alienated teammates in the past. I have no issues with us re-signing Hastings, but it has to be for the right price. He's not an elite halfback and only stands out in our squad because he's the only one who has any idea how to manage a game. AD and Brooks are absolutely clueless when it comes to game management.

$500k? Fair.

$650k? Risky but ok.

$800k? Hell no.

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@avocadoontoast I would say us Tigers fans aren't really a good judge of a half back because we have watched Luke Brooks for 9 seasons.

Players with game management skills / good communicators are thin on the ground.

Hastings has got a chequered past but I think the fact he is open about his previous misgivings is admirable. Personally it gives me hope that he can drive positive change at the club.

WT as a club is desperate need of leadership so that alone justifies a new contract for Hastings IMO.

Mike and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

@mickb I don't disagree with you. I'd be happy to re-sign him. But it has to make sense cap wise. Marquee money should be reserved for marquee players and I don't think he is one.

ReplyQuote
Page 261 / 940
Share: