Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tiger_alex

Whatever anyone thoughts on Hastings play style...

One thing I've noticed, any players that seem to have any issue with him are ones that you'd question their attitude for a first grade player anyhow...

He seems to just speak truths and not everybody likes hearing they are playing like crap and need to pick it up... but it is the exact type of captain we as the current wooden spooners need... someone to set the standards that all others need to follow or get called out on it.

Simple as that as I see it... which to me makes Hastings resigning the most important.

To be a genuine leader you need to inspire others to follow you. It is one thing to call others on their faults and mistakes, but it's pointless unless they are motivated to follow you. Hastings is 100% able to call out the players around him, what needs to be seen is whether he can get others to follow.

I think he could make a great captain if the other players are willing to follow him.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

lestronge, Joel Helmes, Jedi Tiger and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

From the POM:

Situation with Brooks has taken a turn in the last couple days, with his management informing the club he intends to sign with Knights from 2024 after November 1. Clearly a move to make things happen earlier in 2023. Some at the club believe this could be a move to get an official extension presented. Fast moving situation, expected to come to a head in the week.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Bring in Staines to play 1, move Laurie to 6, Hastings to 7 and give them Brooks a year early for Klemmer and Frizell.

hsvjones, Kenny4517, lestronge and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

From Pom in response to a poster 

Interesting that Brooks management informed the club of his intentions while Sheens is overseas. If true - he could very well have been blindsided by this considering his staunch support of Brooks.

Agree timing is very interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

From Pom 

Thanks mate
Any news on the stains peachey swap?

Nothing different from what was mentioned the other day. Still expect it to go through

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

If happens 2023

1. Staines 

Centre: Douhie

6. Laurie 

7. Hastings 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

If happens 2023

1. Staines 

6. Laurie 

7. Hastings 

Honestly if we can really turn the screws with Newcastle we could line up like this.

1. Staines

2. Nofo

3. Naden

4. AD

5. Ken

6. Laurie

7. Hastings

8. Klemmer

9. Api

10. Stef

11. Paps

12. Frizell

13. Brown

14. Rua

15. Twal

16. Joe O

17. Blore/Pole

That is no longer a bottom 4 team.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@avocadoontoast not a big Nathan Brown fan although a very intimidating forward pack

still think Sheens sees Hastings as a 13 in how he wants to play

I wonder whether we might look at Hawkins from souths or blake taafe as a 7 or left field mitchell Pearce for a year or 2 ?

Agree Frizell if we release Brooks to Newcastle is a must. He is a much safer option than Bateman 

LoganR21 and Kenny4517 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@hodgo)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Reading through all the halves' information again makes me want to way in. 

Comparing the halves is extremely difficult. I think it's impossible to say who is the better half between brooks, douhei, and hastings due to the sample size. We know what we have gotten from brooks over 189 games (73w-116L). He is an ok kicker, a good runner, a poor defender (although he has improved), a bad decision-maker under pressure, a questionable organiser, and a poor goal-kicker. Now brooks at 500k i can get but roughly a mil(depending on who you believe) is literally the top 15 players in the comp and that brooks isn't it. So my argument is about nearly 200 games he is what he is, he won't improve much if at all. My argument as to why he needs to move on is not that he is a horrible player it is that we need to give a few other halves some game time to see if they can amount to anything.

We know Douhei has similar weaknesses to brooks poor defender, okish kicker, strong runner, and questionable decisions under pressure. Pairing them is not ideal so really you need to pick one. Again for me it comes down to possible improvement. Douhei is younger and spent a lot less time in the halves a poor man's brooks I guess. I would want to ee what he produces and for that he needs reps. 

The odd one out for me is Hastings. When he played half we looked more organised, and more structured. This is an area we have been screaming out for. He seemed composed under pressure, his defense is solid, he is a good goal kicker and a decent kicker in general play. His big weakness is speed id say. 

I honestly think we can probably only have one in the halves and atm we need someone to orgnise and for me its hastings.

tonza, Celtic_Tiger and Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @hodgo

Reading through all the halves' information again makes me want to way in. 

Comparing the halves is extremely difficult. I think it's impossible to say who is the better half between brooks, douhei, and hastings due to the sample size. We know what we have gotten from brooks over 189 games (73w-116L). He is an ok kicker, a good runner, a poor defender (although he has improved), a bad decision-maker under pressure, a questionable organiser, and a poor goal-kicker. Now brooks at 500k i can get but roughly a mil(depending on who you believe) is literally the top 15 players in the comp and that brooks isn't it. So my argument is about nearly 200 games he is what he is, he won't improve much if at all. My argument as to why he needs to move on is not that he is a horrible player it is that we need to give a few other halves some game time to see if they can amount to anything.

We know Douhei has similar weaknesses to brooks poor defender, okish kicker, strong runner, and questionable decisions under pressure. Pairing them is not ideal so really you need to pick one. Again for me it comes down to possible improvement. Douhei is younger and spent a lot less time in the halves a poor man's brooks I guess. I would want to ee what he produces and for that he needs reps. 

The odd one out for me is Hastings. When he played half we looked more organised, and more structured. This is an area we have been screaming out for. He seemed composed under pressure, his defense is solid, he is a good goal kicker and a decent kicker in general play. His big weakness is speed id say. 

I honestly think we can probably only have one in the halves and atm we need someone to orgnise and for me its hastings.

Problem for me is all 3 have major deficiencies, the closest to being a complete player is Hastings, I think with the right partner he could be very good. I think for an example a Hastings/ Moses pairing would be exciting.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

If happens 2023

1. Staines 

6. Laurie 

7. Hastings 

Honestly if we can really turn the screws with Newcastle we could line up like this.

1. Staines

2. Nofo

3. Naden

4. AD

5. Ken

6. Laurie

7. Hastings

8. Klemmer

9. Api

10. Stef

11. Paps

12. Frizell

13. Brown

14. Rua

15. Twal

16. Joe O

17. Blore/Pole

That is no longer a bottom 4 team.

I like the look of that as well Avo. And we still have depth through Kepoa, Toa, Tupou, Talau, Seyfarth, Matamau and the better of the young guns.

Snake, Joel Helmes and Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Kyle Flannagan maybe for 7, if the dogs want to release him and pay some of the contract. Dylan Brown for 6  

Douhie centre 

Hastings 13

ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

With that news surely Newcastle are making a play for Brooks for next season there in desperate stakes ATM, if Brooks wants out for ‘24 make it happen with a player swap for next season no use flogging that dead horse any longer.

Mike, hsvjones and Tiger_Alex reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Kyle Flannagan maybe for 7, if the dogs want to release him and pay some of the contract. Dylan Brown for 6  

Douhie centre 

Hastings 13

I don’t think too many people will be excited about getting Flanno Jnr.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

LoganR21 and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

1. Laurie

2. Nofo

3. Naden

4. AD

5. Staines

6. D Brown

7. Flanagan 

8. Klemmer