Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@tiger5150

I guess the hope is that he can surpass brooks quickly  and fill that void . 

For me Maddens defence really really concerns me . Like Adam Reynolds 2015 bad . Or early benji bad . The thing with brooks is his barge arse always meant eventually he would be a good defender , much like A Johns . Which is where all the comparisons started .

If we do go with Madden , we can kiss goodbye to all the gamer type plays . Running down players , trapping and 90m sprint away tries . 
but what we get is the backs are moved around correctly positioned , soft hands on the short ball, brooks never developed that , he still launches it into his runners hips , kicks  to where they need to go, all the time. Basically consistency but no flair . That sounds great . And it might be if AD and Laurie and our green shoots can fill the spark from nothing void . 
I just don’t know . One style is do it all myself and basically fail a lot . The other is early ball to the edges and let them fail or not . 
mat least as of 2022 . 

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @lestronge

@tiger5150

For me Maddens defence really really concerns me . Like Adam Reynolds 2015 bad . Or early benji bad . The thing with brooks is his barge arse always meant eventually he would be a good defender , much like A Johns . Which is where all the comparisons started .

If we do go with Madden , we can kiss goodbye to all the gamer type plays . Running down players , trapping and 90m sprint away tries . 
but what we get is the backs are moved around correctly positioned , soft hands on the short ball, brooks never developed that , he still launches it into his runners hips , kicks  to where they need to go, all the time. Basically consistency but no flair . That sounds great . And it might be if AD and Laurie and our green shoots can fill the spark from nothing void . 
I just don’t know . One style is do it all myself and basically fail a lot . The other is early ball to the edges and let them fail or not . 
mat least as of 2022 . 

I get what you're saying. It's easy to speculate but I don't know if it's fair to say we know how Madden will go if given the No. 7 for a full year.

After 10 games my observation on Madden is that he is not able to win you a game, not yet at least. He does seem to read the game well and has a decent kicking game. There looks to be something to work with in my opinion. You make a good point about his soft hands.

After 10 years WT need to try something else in the halfback position . Everyone who follows the game (but doesn't have an emotional connection to the Tigers) is saying the same thing - 'its time Brooks made a fresh start somewhere else."

The news of the club offering Brooks a 3 year deal is worrying. He hasn't done anything to earn a contract. He's played 18 odd games and we're at the bottom of the ladder!

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @mickb

@tiger5150

mat least as of 2022 . 

I get what you're saying. It's easy to speculate but I don't know if it's fair to say we know how Madden will go if given the No. 7 for a full year.

After 10 games my observation on Madden is that he is not able to win you a game, not yet at least. He does seem to read the game well and has a decent kicking game. There looks to be something to work with in my opinion. You make a good point about his soft hands.

After 10 years WT need to try something else in the halfback position . Everyone who follows the game (but doesn't have an emotional connection to the Tigers) is saying the same thing - 'its time Brooks made a fresh start somewhere else."

The news of the club offering Brooks a 3 year deal is worrying. He hasn't done anything to earn a contract. He's played 18 odd games and we're at the bottom of the ladder!

With genuine respect Mickey, its naive and simplistic to suggest that we are at the bottom of the ladder because of our halfback, Brooks or Madden.

lestronge reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@tiger5150 it’s this times 1000. Our biggest issue for as long as I can remember is how we were constantly playing catch-up with the latest ruck/wrestling tactics . We had guys who could compete in the collision , but we always seemed to be behind the eight ball with controlling the ruck. 
We took years to have a full time wrestling consultant , the storm had that UFC fighter as a staff member since 06/07. 
I feel this was a huge issue , whilst the storm and roosters were the best 2 teams . Now it’s Penrith and probably the cowboys , the league has shifted to more attacking structures being where the games are won and lost , rather than a huge emphasis on the ruck . 
This is all to say , that this was the main issue with our team . 
And we couldn’t recruit the Lattrell types who could combat this type of ruck control with pure ability to find quick play the balls to crate ruck speed to create space so the halves could have the time to execute a play . 
So when we did create this speed or space , it would happen so infrequent , someone like brooks would either have all the eyeballs on him saying “DO SOMETHING” or his internal monologue would be saying “I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING” . And he often didn’t . So we all blow up , because of how infrequent the previous situations didn’t happen . Whether that’s fair or unfair . 
I just think the game has shifted to a style that has suited us. We just had a coach who was stuck in the past a bit . 
which is once again , us being a step behind . 
I hope we can find a way to not be a step behind . 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

@tiger5150 it’s this times 1000. Our biggest issue for as long as I can remember is how we were constantly playing catch-up with the latest ruck/wrestling tactics . We had guys who could compete in the collision , but we always seemed to be behind the eight ball with controlling the ruck. 
We took years to have a full time wrestling consultant , the storm had that UFC fighter as a staff member since 06/07. 
I feel this was a huge issue , whilst the storm and roosters were the best 2 teams . Now it’s Penrith and probably the cowboys , the league has shifted to more attacking structures being where the games are won and lost , rather than a huge emphasis on the ruck . 
This is all to say , that this was the main issue with our team . 
And we couldn’t recruit the Lattrell types who could combat this type of ruck control with pure ability to find quick play the balls to crate ruck speed to create space so the halves could have the time to execute a play . 
So when we did create this speed or space , it would happen so infrequent , someone like brooks would either have all the eyeballs on him saying “DO SOMETHING” or his internal monologue would be saying “I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING” . And he often didn’t . So we all blow up , because of how infrequent the previous situations didn’t happen . Whether that’s fair or unfair . 
I just think the game has shifted to a style that has suited us. We just had a coach who was stuck in the past a bit . 
which is once again , us being a step behind . 
I hope we can find a way to not be a step behind . 

Good summary IMO.

Almost unrelated side point. My BJJ coach is brazilian and 3rd degree black belt who was trained by Helios Gracie and got his black belt from Royler Gracie (anyone who knows BJJ or UFC knows what this means). He trains or has trained Cronulla, Bulldogs and Wenty Leagues.

lestronge reacted
ReplyQuote
(@gcfan)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@skippa13 I fear poor Brooksy is doomed wherever he goes. The guy just has a storm cloud over his head and can’t escape it. Although much of the criticism is warranted, not all of it is and I worry he won’t ever be able to clear his head irrespective of the club he plays at.

ReplyQuote
CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @gcfan

@skippa13 I fear poor Brooksy is doomed wherever he goes. The guy just has a storm cloud over his head and can’t escape it. Although much of the criticism is warranted, not all of it is and I worry he won’t ever be able to clear his head irrespective of the club he plays at.

I reckon if he leaves, the pressure eases for a brief time but then goes up even more to prove that he really is a good player. I'd be telling him that if he leaves the Tigers, he should go to the Superleague 

GCfan reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Only thing that can save brooks is if he goes to a strong team (not many looking for a 7) or he stays here and we are successful. No other fan base would tolerate him if their teams is unsuccessful. The knights would chew him up

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Only thing that can save brooks is if he goes to a strong team (not many looking for a 7) or he stays here and we are successful. No other fan base would tolerate him if their teams is unsuccessful. The knights would chew him up

Penrith are for the next 5 weeks. Pity Brooks is injured. That would have been one hell of a loan opportunity. 

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@gcfan)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Posted by: @mike
Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Penrith are for the next 5 weeks. Pity Brooks is injured. That would have been one hell of a loan opportunity. 

I reckon he’d look similar to how he plays here with Jacko at 13 as Yeo plays that same kind of role 

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @gcfan

Fair point but that ultimately wont be our problem. It does suck to have lost $500k on the cap to subsidise his contract but there are plenty of strong arguments here to justify that decision.

https://www.zerotackle.com/600000-to-push-reset-why-the-tigers-simply-must-say-yes-121144/

ReplyQuote
Enumerator
(@enumerator)
Junior Pathways

He has been part of a shemozzle of a club, I think Brooksy will flourish away from the Tigers.

We need to take the financial hit to the cap (MBYE) and allow him to extend his career.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

On a separate signings related point, the squads for this year have been finalised

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/01/27/2022-signings-tracker-official-rosters-for-all-17-nrl-clubs/

it looks like O'kane was brought into the top 30 but I can't tell who else has been?

What do people think of the two signings the Sheenius has made so far? (I think there are only two he has made under his own steam so far)

Tristan Reilly - I have not seen yet

Sione Fainu - looks a long way off NRL in the reggies match I saw him play.

Offering these guys multi year deals is pretty bold I have to say. Blokes at this end of a roster should be on 1 year deals IMO

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Ahhh yes the weekly move Brooks on article lol 

If Newcastle do not get Brooks for 2023 they will run near last. Stuff them.

Do what you want for 2024 but don't strengthen Newcastle for 2023 by giving them Brooks. 

Jock Madden has played one good game that this it, let's see how he goes without Hastings ball playing at lock. Also let's see how Douhie goes without the foil of Hastings too. 

If Jock was the solution at 7 every club has had the chance since November 1 to sign Jock, at best he is a backup half 

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@tigertownsfs can I ask , do you think Clifford is better ? Or Shaun Johnson ? Or whoever the titans are trotting out ? Even the dragons are having huge problems in the halves . Do you think he’s worse than Flanagan ?

im not having a go , I’m just curious. The only bottom 8 team I’d say comfortable with their halfback is manly. 
Everyone else is doing the John Travolta meme from pulp fiction and looking around . 
So there’s 9 halves really in the world , that by our metrics are first grade standard ? Think about that for a second.In the world ! 9 guys ! Is that true ? air do we all have unrealistic expectations . 

ReplyQuote
Page 170 / 930
Share: