(@skippa13)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Brooks is buggered if he does the following 

St George at 7 if hunt to 9

too much pressure

Dolphins start up team no backline

Newcastle too much pressure at Newcastle next Joey johns etc

tigers are the right fit with AD and Hastings to help steer things. None of the above teams have three players like Hastings AD and Brooks. Sheens will make this work

This is a good point. He will cop flak wherever he goes. Dragons supporters are ruthless. Media will be all over dolphins and knights are a one horse town that have their own media cycle and scrutiny. The only way for him to break free would be to move to a team and play second fiddle to an established half and disinterested fan base (ie storm, roosters, etc).

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Newcastle’s already turbulent season has hit a new low with revelations star prop David Klemmer has been stood down for failing to leave the field and abusing a trainer during the Knights’ loss to Canterbury last Sunday.

Klemmer was a mysterious omission from Newcastle’s side announced on Tuesdayafternoon just 24 hours after plans for the former NSW and Kangaroos prop to join the Eels surfaced.

The intended switch to the Eels for the rest of the season — which did not eventuate — is unrelated to this incident.

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@tiger5150  for me with Hastings he’s always seemed like he was missing most of what makes an elite half in the game . Before people crucify me , what I mean is most elite halves in the comp , have an unbelievable either top end speed or acceleration, are extremely agile ,elusive athletes . They also should have high footy IQ , kicking game , temperament and what’s under rated an absolute cannon for a boot . 
How much of that list is Hastings better than say brooks for example.
footy Iq .. definitely , temperament … definitely ..short  kicking game …yea maybe , definitely not long kicking game ,Brooks has a cannon and Hastings doesn’t have any of the athletic attributes . And from what I can tell he’s not as good a ball player either , whilst not being bad either .  
Hastings but is a much better game manager , and tough as nails , and a hard worker , decent defender , great leader … he sure  sounds like a lock to me when you list it .  
As for brooks I think it might be gamesmanship the more I think about it from sheens . 
he’s basically saying you want him Newcastle , you now have to pay 800k for 3 years. Is he worth that ? Probably not . Even if madden is worse , which I think he is , can we get 77 cents on the dollar output of what  brooks does ? I think we can . 
we just got to hope both Newcastle and another team take the bait . Newcastle are guaranteed to lose Ponga as soon as next year IMO if they don’t get a half very very soon . 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

They don’t call him Shifty for nothing.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @lestronge

@tiger5150  for me with Hastings he’s always seemed like he was missing most of what makes an elite half in the game . Before people crucify me , what I mean is most elite halves in the comp , have an unbelievable either top end speed or acceleration, are extremely agile ,elusive athletes . They also should have high footy IQ , kicking game , temperament and what’s under rated an absolute cannon for a boot . 
footy Iq .. definitely , temperament … definitely ..short  kicking game …yea maybe , definitely not long kicking game ,Brooks has a cannon and Hastings doesn’t have any of the athletic attributes . And from what I can tell he’s not as good a ball player either , whilst not being bad either .  
Hastings but is a much better game manager , and tough as nails , and a hard worker , decent defender , great leader … he sure  sounds like a lock to me when you list it .  
As for brooks I think it might be gamesmanship the more I think about it from sheens . 
he’s basically saying you want him Newcastle , you now have to pay 800k for 3 years. Is he worth that ? Probably not . Even if madden is worse , which I think he is , can we get 77 cents on the dollar output of what  brooks does ? I think we can . 
we just got to hope both Newcastle and another team take the bait . Newcastle are guaranteed to lose Ponga as soon as next year IMO if they don’t get a half very very soon . 

I think that is a good summary of Hastings v Brooks. IMO its an interesting exercise doing the same Brooks v Doueihi.

Strongly disagree with your point re Brooks and Madden though. IMO Brooks is better than Madden but all of this discussion about "well yeah Brooks might be slightly better than Madden but Madden is cheaper" completely misses the point. Brooks hasnt been good enough (particularly the last 3 years). Settling for a player who is 77c in the dollar on Brooks isnt getting us to the finals. We need Brooks or better, regardless of price.

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Klemmer for Brooks??

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @helmesy

Klemmer for Brooks??

Take

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tiger5150
Posted by: @lestronge

I think that is a good summary of Hastings v Brooks. IMO its an interesting exercise doing the same Brooks v Doueihi.

Strongly disagree with your point re Brooks and Madden though. IMO Brooks is better than Madden but all of this discussion about "well yeah Brooks might be slightly better than Madden but Madden is cheaper" completely misses the point. Brooks hasnt been good enough (particularly the last 3 years). Settling for a player who is 77c in the dollar on Brooks isnt getting us to the finals. We need Brooks or better, regardless of price.

On the Brooks Vs Madden... for me it depends on what we're looking for in our #7. And that will depend on whether or not we keep both Hastings and AD.

If we do so, Hastings can provide the footy IQ, on field organising/management, 1st receiver passing game - and short kicking game to a fair degree. AD can supply the cannon kick and running game.

What does that leave for Brooks... speed, defending and the odd cut-out pass? Madden can provide a decent running speed, the cut-out pass and IMO better decision making when he has to - he seems to have smarts to provide taking the best option - and an excellent short kicking game. Better defence will come as he matures - Brooks was a poor defender to start with too.

Taking that into consideration if we keep Hastings and AD I see Madden as not only being a cheaper option but arguably a better option. I re-sign Madden and allow Brooks to leave either 2023 if we get a favourable outcome, or preferably 2024.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@helmesy no way not worth it would rather keep tamau 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

I like a "Klemmer" type in the pack, meaning hard running and slightly unhinged, someone the other guys are looking out for, but where would he fit? We already have an old prop in Tamou and while I think Klemmer would add significantly more impact that Tamou and more productive on the field, Klemmer does not provide the leadership and mentorship that Tamou brings. Klemmer is a bit of an anomoly in that regard. Old props are supposed to mentor the young guys how to be, but whilst Id be happy to have Klemmer running wild for us, thats not the example I want for Stef & Pole.

IMO Klemmer and Musgrove both fill the same position in a team/pack and Im not sure we need or want two of them. Also Klemmer is currently on massive $$$ and we cant tie up more cap on old guys.

Russtutty63 and Skippa13 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @helmesy

Klemmer for Brooks??

Buy

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

I'm in two minds about Klemmer. He's a quality forward, only 28 so still has a lot of footy left, but he's not worth the money he's reportedly on. If we got him subsidised for 23 and then a reduced contract for 24 and 25 would definitely be worth considering. As a replacement for Tamou I think he'd be a significant upgrade.

I'm not too fussed about the leadership aspect. Tamou is being praised for his leadership but it wasn't really evident under the Madge days - if anything it was quite the opposite (remember publicly praising Penrith on his IG after the grand final win). 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

klemmer/musgrove trade is the one we should be doing. 

klemmer averages 156m running and 97% tackle efficiency.

musgrove averges 87m running and 91% tackle efficiency.

both play the impact role and klemmer is only 28 vs musgrove already 26.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

I think there would be a massive difference in contract value.

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @tiger5150
Posted by: @tigertownsfs

I think there would be a massive difference in contract value.

Let’s say there is a 400k difference in contract value (tops). We have money, it’s quality we need now to make us a top 8 team such that we can bring through the juniors into a winning culture. There aren’t that many positions we can spend much money on. Our spine is pretty much locked in and none of them are superstars or on marquee money (after brooks’ contract). Then we have value juniors. Some teams have 2 or 3 marquee players. We have finished with paying players to play at other clubs after this year, we are front loading by lending out our players for the end of the year. Money can’t be our binding constraint at this point. We have a senior prop (Tamou) we is about to retire and we have another prop (musgrove) on a long dated contract whilst he is in and out of the team. He was a Madge guy, move him on.

8. Stephano

9. api

10. Klemmer

11. papi

12. blore

13. hastings

14. twal

15. joffa

16. Pole

17. Etc 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote