Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@declan)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball Admin

@celtic_tiger Brooks is also coming 4th in the league for missed tackles so I don’t think you can say that he’s an elite defender this season. 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @declan

@celtic_tiger Brooks is also coming 4th in the league for missed tackles so I don’t think you can say that he’s an elite defender this season. 

Declan, I think that is a very misleading statistic.

Brooks does a LOT more defence than most halves. Most halves are hidden in defence whereas Brooks is in the line and making many first contacts.

In his games this year, Madden is averaging 12 tackles per game. As a reference Nathan Cleary averages 17. Luke Brooks is averaging 24 tackles a game, the same as Luciano, more than Luke Garner, more than Zane Musgrove.

As a halfback, Luke Brooks is an elite defender.

ReplyQuote
(@declan)

@tiger5150 Brooks is probably averaging that many tackles because opposition teams know if they run a lot of traffic at him, he'll miss a few hence the reason why he's coming 4th in the league for missed tackles. The only mitigating factor in this stat is that Brooks has played some time out of position in the middle which would make his missed tackle count higher but to say he has been an elite defender this season is not true. 

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

@tiger5150 Brooks is probably averaging that many tackles because opposition teams know if they run a lot of traffic at him, he'll miss a few hence the reason why he's coming 4th in the league for missed tackles. The only mitigating factor in this stat is that Brooks has played some time out of position in the middle which would make his missed tackle count higher but to say he has been an elite defender this season is not true. 

Just in your opinion @declan . He is one of the best defensive halves in the comp in my opinion. 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@declan)

@tigersteve there’s a rumor that Brooks still has the mark from Nanai palming him into next week. 

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

I think it is pretty obvious that Brooks is one of the better defending halfbacks in the competition. Defence isn't the key component of his role though.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@declan)

@garry historically yes but not this season. I do agree however that it’s not his main responsibility but I was just responding to the point Steve made about Brooks being a miles better defender then Madden which I don’t think is accurate. 

ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

@garry historically yes but not this season. I do agree however that it’s not his main responsibility but I was just responding to the point Steve made about Brooks being a miles better defender then Madden which I don’t think is accurate. 

We must watch different games 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tigersteve

We must watch different games 

Up until a couple of weeks ago Brooks had the best tackling averages for halves in the competition.It’s just plain ludicrous to intimate or suggest otherwise.He’s a brilliant defender with great technique,no matter what other criticisms are levelled at him.

I”m loving what I’m seeing from Jock Madden,but at this stage his defensive capabilities are not in the same status as Luke’s,but who would expect them to be?Andrew Johns as a young half missed plenty but transformed himself into an elite defender.No doubt with experience Jock can improve in the same fashion,just as Brooks has over the years.

TigerSteve reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tiger5150

Declan, I think that is a very misleading statistic.

Brooks does a LOT more defence than most halves. Most halves are hidden in defence whereas Brooks is in the line and making many first contacts.

In his games this year, Madden is averaging 12 tackles per game. As a reference Nathan Cleary averages 17. Luke Brooks is averaging 24 tackles a game, the same as Luciano, more than Luke Garner, more than Zane Musgrove.

As a halfback, Luke Brooks is an elite defender.

Well expressed 5150,you make sound points.There’s a touch of cherry picking stats at play here!

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@declan)

@tiger-symmetry I’m not cherry picking, I made the point that Brooks is making a lot of tackles because teams know that if they run a lot of traffic at him, he’ll miss a few. Hence why he’s in the top 5 for missed tackles. 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@tiger-symmetry I’m not cherry picking, I made the point that Brooks is making a lot of tackles because teams know that if they run a lot of traffic at him, he’ll miss a few. Hence why he’s in the top 5 for missed tackles. 

Ok fair play to you Declan on closer inspection,but I suppose the question amounts to what constitutes an elite defender.I believe if he’s leading the tackle averages for half backs in the NRL he should be considered in the category of elite defender.You stated because he possessed the fourth highest tackle misses,he should not be regarded as elite,that’s where I believed your conclusion to be flawed.So I suppose it’s ultimately all academic,but in the ongoing spirit of jocularity I have to say I’m in the Tiger Steve corner and that the Nanai don’t argue was a minor storm in a teacup,lol.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Not exactly a new or unique tactic to run traffic at the small half? They dont run traffic at Madden or Cleary?

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Declan EVERY team runs traffic at the small half from about U/13's. They do it to Madden as well as every 7 in the comp.

ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @tiger5150

Not exactly a new or unique tactic to run traffic at the small half? They dont run traffic at Madden or Cleary?

Not anymore on Cleary - they are frightened of his tackling technique. 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 168 / 917
Share: