Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@Anonymous 77)

Well this is really disappointing I thought I’d see some kind of signing/upgrade with WTs, instead we are helping our opponents out.

Give the fans something anything….😒 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
 Wiz
(@wiz)
Junior Pathways

@lestronge 

the cash flow has to match the number in the contract for that league year (1 November to 31 October). 

That being the case, you’d need to amend the contract/paperwork when front loading a contract to reduce the future year(s) contract value and increase the current year’s contract value. 

Doing this can have tax implications for those players on less than $180k because it can push you into a higher income tax bracket in one year meaning you pay more income tax over the length of your contract than you otherwise would have if your contract wasn’t adjusted to be front loaded half way through. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Sheens wants to keep Brooks and renegotiate his deal at a lower salary but extend him.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@gcfan)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@garry when did this get mentioned?

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

It will be interesting whether brooks chooses to stay with a downgrade or go to a club desperate for a halfback like the knights, dolphins or dragons.

1. Laurie

6. douhie

7. brooks

9. Api

13. Hastings 

its an interesting spine. Douhie a bit big and Laurie a bit small vs NRL standard in their position but we will certainly have a lot of points of attack!

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @garry

Sheens wants to keep Brooks and renegotiate his deal at a lower salary but extend him.

The Rowdy Maneuver. I like it.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @gcfan

@garry when did this get mentioned?

Good to see you here GCFan. Welcome to the forum.

lestronge reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

NRL 2022: Tim Sheens’ plan to retain halfback Luke Brooks on less money | Daily Telegraph

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Tim Sheens has issued a hands off warning to the Newcastle Knights, insisting Luke Brooks will be staying at Wests Tigers next season.

And despite Brooks last month hinting his time at the club might be coming to an end, Sheens said the Tigers are keen to extend his contract beyond 2023, when he is due to earn a reported $1.1 million.

“Obviously everyone would prefer for it to be at less money,” Sheens said.

“But we can sit down and negotiate with him and extend his contract out.”

It comes in the countdown to Sunday’s clash between the two clubs amid renewed speculation that the Knights are still desperate to tempt Brooks out of the Tigers for 2023.

The talk won’t go away that Brooks may have played his last game for the Tigers after going down with a season-ending calf injury last week.

Knights legend Andrew Johns was a driving force in trying to entice Brooks to Newcastle at the end of last year following Mitchell Pearce’s shock departure.

Johns went on the record saying he thought Brooks needed a change of scenery and that he could help the game’s most maligned playmaker fulfil his massive potential.

Johns recently signed an extension to stay on Adam O’Brien’s coaching staff next season, and some in Newcastle believe signing Brooks could be the key to saving O’Brien’s job as huge pressure builds on the Knights coach.

It was Sheens who stepped in last year and declared that Brooks would not be released.

Now Sheens has doubled down, adamant he and Tigers coach-in-waiting Benji Marshall want Brooks long term.

“I will stand by what I said,” Sheens said.

“On the record, he is contracted. Point blank.

“He is contracted to us next year. And I expect him to turn up for pre-season training.”

Sheens was just as confident that he and Benji could help bring the best out in Brooks, just as Johns thinks he can.

He even reminded us that under Ivan Cleary in 2018 Brooks was crowned Dally M halfback of the year.

“Ring Benj, he will tell you,” Sheens said. “Look, I rate the kid. He is a one club player.

“I think we can certainly between Marshall and myself bring him back into the game as the seven he was and he is.”

Asked if he could guarantee Brooks would be at the club next season, Sheens added: “Unless the world changes that is what I am doing.

“Honestly, can I ever say yes to anything? No one can.

“But I am not indicating (he is leaving) and I have told you, I mean it, I like the kid and I want him in the side.

“Benji loves him and wants him in the side. But we can’t say any more than that.”

Sheens said it was his intention to keep Brooks and Doueihi together as the halves combination, with Jackson Hastings the ball playing lock.

Sheens also has a good opinion of young Jock Madden but sees him as a work in progress given his limited experience.

Brooks, Doueihi and Hastings are all off contract at the end of next season, along with fullback Daine Laurie.

That is why Sheens insisted interim coach Brett Kimmorley moved Hastings to lock to accommodate all of them in the starting side before the club started any extension talks.

Unfortunately that plan has been put on hold with both Brooks and Hastings suffering season ending injuries.

“That is the only thing I really stood up and said,” Sheens explained. “I am not taking credit for it or anything like that.

“All I am saying is I said that was the way it was going to happen.

“We needed to look at it for the rest of this year before we made a decision (on the future) because I thought that was the best way it would work.

“And certainly with me coaching next year that will be the way it is going to work. It is only unfortunate now we have a situation with two of them out for the year

jirskyr and GCfan reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

@jedi-tiger Thanks for posting mate, I posted it but it messed up the page formatting. 

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

looks like Brooks is staying and potentially renegotiate over extended years. That will really really hurt some fans. 

I am happy if he stays andeven happier if his contract perhaps gets extended and renegotiated to perhaps 1.1 million worked into other years 

smart move by Sheens

lestronge reacted
ReplyQuote
Celtic_Tiger
(@celtic_tiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Ah great, the coach is going to get the best out of Brooks.

Wonder why no one thought of that before.

GCfan reacted
ReplyQuote
(@gcfan)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@tiger5150 thanks for the welcome mate!

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@garry if we can spread some of the 1.1million for 2023 over a few years then it makes the Brooks deal quiet good and takes away any monetary value of Madden for 2023

lestronge reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@celtic_tiger under cleary 2018 half back of the year. Sheens is as good a coach as cleary and half backs don't grow on trees good move if Brooks plays like he did against cowboys

TigerSteve reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 165 / 1067
Share: