TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

Posted by: @avocadoontoast
Posted by: @jedi-tiger

take Brooks salary and Douhie's salary and go and buy Burton for 2024
7. Hastings
6. Burton

Unless we replace the forwards and the backs Burton will be wasted here.

A bit like brooks is wasted?

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @tigersteve

7. Hastings
6. Burton

Even in the rare instance where we win the ruck Brooks is still a poor half relative to the other halves in the NRL. Burton by contrast has been a stand out in a team that has rarely won the ruck.  He has done his best to try and lift the team every week. His kicking game has been exceptional and his recent play has been so good it's rightfully earned him an origin call up. This is from a guy who has played only 15 game in the halves.

Brooks on the other hand blends in with the poor team around him even though he's the highest paid player and disappears whenever he's needed. His kicking game is diabolical and has zero variety. For a half that has played almost 200 games you would have expected him by now to be able to do more than a simple bomb. No spirals, no floaters, no nothing. Also zero short kicking game and zero leadership. I know that you have argued on the pod that he's one of our only legitimate first graders but I don't agree with you. I think 3 or 4 years ago he was one of our best players, but I genuinely don't believe he's playing to first grade standard anymore. 

EDIT: Additionally, I don't necessarily blame Brooks for the player he is. I think he finally became a good player under Cleary but Madge completely destroyed him to the point where I think he's completely shot.

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

A couple of reports around saying Doueihi will test the open market in November.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @helmesy

A couple of reports around saying Doueihi will test the open market in November.

Disappointing but if we persist with Brooks at 6 without giving him a go i'd probably look elsewhere too.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
 Wiz
(@wiz)
Junior Pathways

@helmesy I’m OK with this. He hasn’t locked a position down and for the money he’ll be after I’d be OK to see him go. Throw in the fact that he’s done two ACLs and isn’t an explosive runner to begin with and you can see where I’m coming from. 

I do like his attitude but we can’t pay players based on their attitudes, on field performance has to be the main criteria. 

Clearly he’s a fan of Madge and is not happy with Madge’s dismissal. 

Kenny4517 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@wiz Good luck Adam go for your life,not great defensively, slow , 2 x ACL’s .. test that market!

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@helmesy greatsee ya Adam

signed as a fullback - too slow couldn't nail down fullback

Not really a 6 either

the guy is a centre 

go to dolphins Douhie given the injuries he should go for a good contract as another injury he is finished so don't begrudge him that.

As for Brooks tell him it is 500k or see ya too 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@helmesy greatsee ya Adam

signed as a fullback - too slow couldn't nail down fullback

Not really a 6 either

the guy is a centre 

go to dolphins Douhie given the injuries he should go for a good contract as another injury he is finished so don't begrudge him that.

As for Brooks tell him it is 500k or see ya too 

He’s our best player.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tigersteve

7. Hastings
6. Burton

Even in the rare instance where we win the ruck Brooks is still a poor half relative to the other halves in the NRL. Burton by contrast has been a stand out in a team that has rarely won the ruck.  He has done his best to try and lift the team every week. His kicking game has been exceptional and his recent play has been so good it's rightfully earned him an origin call up. This is from a guy who has played only 15 game in the halves.

Brooks on the other hand blends in with the poor team around him even though he's the highest paid player and disappears whenever he's needed. His kicking game is diabolical and has zero variety. For a half that has played almost 200 games you would have expected him by now to be able to do more than a simple bomb. No spirals, no floaters, no nothing. Also zero short kicking game and zero leadership. I know that you have argued on the pod that he's one of our only legitimate first graders but I don't agree with you. I think 3 or 4 years ago he was one of our best players, but I genuinely don't believe he's playing to first grade standard anymore. 

EDIT: Additionally, I don't necessarily blame Brooks for the player he is. I think he finally became a good player under Cleary but Madge completely destroyed him to the point where I think he's completely shot.

Seriously Avo,you’re saying you don’t necessarily blame Brooks in you’re EDIT,but in your two previous paragraphs you go to town on him and do precisely that,with a diatribe of negation of the man.

Of course you are welcome to your opinion,but it might be also worth noting that Luke has the best halves’ tackle averages in the NRL,so to dismiss him in such a cavalier fashion as not even of first grade status is maybe a little short sighted I believe.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@avocadoontoast he hasn't played more than 15 minutes

last year he was at centre and 6

he had some great games at centre for us but he wants to play 6, he is not a 6. For Levanon when he burst onto the scene he was at centre then fir souths he played fullback in the finals series

he needs to fit in where the team needs him and at present this year it is centre.

He will want 6 money we shoukd use it elsewhere.

As for Brooks I don't think he is the answer at 6 either but I think we might be able to negotiate a decent price for Brooks not that I would want him either. 

I do think Douhie will be after premium money and he is not worth it

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@avocadoontoast he hasn't played more than 15 minutes

last year he was at centre and 6

he had some great games at centre for us but he wants to play 6, he is not a 6. For Levanon when he burst onto the scene he was at centre then fir souths he played fullback in the finals series

he needs to fit in where the team needs him and at present this year it is centre.

He will want 6 money we shoukd use it elsewhere.

As for Brooks I don't think he is the answer at 6 either but I think we might be able to negotiate a decent price for Brooks not that I would want him either. 

I do think Douhie will be after premium money and he is not worth it

It doesn’t change the fact that he is our best 6 and our best centre. And overall our best player. Getting rid of him is fine only if you can replace him with someone better and we have zero chance of doing that.

in our team I think it’s important to retain AD and Stef. Don’t care about the rest at all.

Celtic_Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@avocadoontoast we can't be paying AD north of 700k which I think dolphins might get desperate and pay 800k he is not value for money

secondly at centre you do not pay them 700k to 800k 

this year he is not out best 6 or centre or utility he has played 15 minutes 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@avocadoontoast we can't be paying AD north of 700k which I think dolphins might get desperate and pay 800k he is not value for money

secondly at centre you do not pay them 700k to 800k 

this year he is not out best 6 or centre or utility he has played 15 minutes 

Cool, so we let him go. Who’s your 6 next year?

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@avocadoontoast 

throw the cash at Dylan Brown to partner Hastings 

or 

Reece Walsh as fullback and put Laurie in at 6 with Hastings 

ReplyQuote
 Wiz
(@wiz)
Junior Pathways

Kade Dykes. Has pace and spark that would pair well with Hastings. 

I think we need a bit more pace in our spine. Api, whilst good, is not overly quick. Neither are Laurie, Hastings or Douhie. 

Brooks and Madden are pretty quick, but I’m not sure either of them will be around next year. 

Kenny4517 and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 135 / 933
Share: