Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Lorenzo
(@lorenzo)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @tigersteve

Having talks with Jack Bird re multi year deal from 2025 according to DT

I'm ok with this as long as its not silly money. And by that i mean no more than $350k x 2yrs. We need an experienced player to help all the young kids in our backline and our second rowers. Most of our more experienced players are in the forwards and I wouldn't say any have a high footy IQ (outside of Api). Jack has the experience and IQ we need. 

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@lorenzo No doubt Bird is a good footy player issue is he is broken body wise .. never on the paddock ..I can never understand why the club would bother with a player that is going to spend a large part of the season in the Rehab unit . How does that equate to helping the younger guys just uses up a place in the top 30 .

ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@lorenzo But not the body!

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Posted by: @snake

What time is Jersey Flegg at Lidcombe on Saturday? Might get down there been reading about these guys for a while.

Midday kick off. Zak Clarke goes alright too but is off to the Panthers. Faagutu only played about 35 mins last week in 2 stints, not huge by any means but good leg speed & goes well in collision. I don’t expect much from Large or Makasini as first game for a while & higher grade than they’re used to. It’s just a taste for them & hopefully they’ll get involved & do ok. Next season watch them & you’ll get a better idea. Keep an eye on Jared Haywood when he comes on, had some nice touches last week. All at school at present, two of them year 11, unsure how that would impact next season. 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Russtutty63

Snake reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Posted by: @lorenzo

Posted by: @tigersteve

Having talks with Jack Bird re multi year deal from 2025 according to DT

I'm ok with this as long as its not silly money. And by that i mean no more than $350k x 2yrs. We need an experienced player to help all the young kids in our backline and our second rowers. Most of our more experienced players are in the forwards and I wouldn't say any have a high footy IQ (outside of Api). Jack has the experience and IQ we need. 

I agree, and the way the club has gone about things they’ll be looking at a deal that provides value I’m sure about that. Richo cherry picking guys to support the cream but I trust him to be more wise about it than previous management. 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago 2 times by Russtutty63

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@lorenzo No doubt Bird is a good footy player issue is he is broken body wise .. never on the paddock ..I can never understand why the club would bother with a player that is going to spend a large part of the season in the Rehab unit . How does that equate to helping the younger guys just uses up a place in the top 30 .

Agree with you 100%

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/rugby-league/news/dragons-jack-bird-nrl-2023-injuries-arthritis-ebbs-and-flows/nz7ahhtpwhs5d29yjtq5uj14

Good player but his body is beating him.

ReplyQuote
Lorenzo
(@lorenzo)

Posted by: @mickb

Agree with you 100%

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/rugby-league/news/dragons-jack-bird-nrl-2023-injuries-arthritis-ebbs-and-flows/nz7ahhtpwhs5d29yjtq5uj14

Good player but his body is beating him.

The broken body issue is pretty obvious, so it should also be obvious to Richo and Benji as it has been well reported. I'm also certain that we are not desperate for a Jack Bird type player to the point where we would take a massive punt. So I'm comfortable leaving this to Richo and Benji to decide. If they do sign him than I'm supportive and if they don't than I'm fine with that too. 

Joel Helmes, Enumerator, Skippa13 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Honest question, why do we think Bird has good footy IQ?

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@doug-heffernan)

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

This is just my opinion,  but I would say he has good IQ for a forward. His ability to adjust straight away last week to playing in the halves was quite good, very good actually. So I suppose, as a lock or backrower, you would imagine he has some smarts about him. 

ReplyQuote
Lorenzo
(@lorenzo)

Posted by: @doug-heffernan

This is just my opinion,  but I would say he has good IQ for a forward. His ability to adjust straight away last week to playing in the halves was quite good, very good actually. So I suppose, as a lock or backrower, you would imagine he has some smarts about him. 

Agree, the way he plays and positions himself in attack and defence is solid, he tends to always be in the right place at the right time and often makes the right decision. Our centres have been poor for many years now in terms of their decision making. I don't know how many tries have gone begging because they try and step inside the defender when the winger has space, or they pass before they draw the opposing defender, or make a poor defensive read and leave the winger with a 2 against 1 or too much space to defend. Bird would help shut this down and would hopefully be able to teach the kids.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

He has great footy IQ. Bird at lock will tighten up the middle enormously. 

Jedi Tiger and hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
(@888)
Wests Tigers Supporter

If Bird is signed does that further suggest Bateman isn’t coming back??

hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
Enumerator
(@enumerator)
Junior Pathways

Are Bird and Horesbough just the same old recruit???

Dragons abd raiders don't drop good players for no reason.

We already have ageing players on our roster that aren't worth the high salary....

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @enumerator

We already have ageing players on our roster that aren't worth the high salary....

I could see us making both these signings. Corey is only 26 so not exactly old. I trust in Richo 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @enumerator

I am a little worried about Bird to be honest, injury prone and past it. 

Pole I don't think we will resign him

Corey Horesbough he would be a great addition to our pack, at 550k I know Canberra don't want to chip anything in but hope Rucho can work something out, if we can get him for 400k he is a great purchase. 

I would be trying to extend Galvin now if ay all possible however Moses would be an idiot not to test the market with Galvin (like walker is doing).

ReplyQuote
Page 1031 / 1059
Share: