Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

•  

You guys may be right. I don't profess to know everything that's for sure but I'm on my own in this one. Sure, I don't like his attitude of taking off and not wanting to tough it out and his output this year has not been up to his price tag. All agreed.
But....
Just like Talau, Blore, Aloiai, Liddle, Brooks, (there's probably more) I believe he will go elsewhere and become the prop we were paying him to be. We are the ultimate problem, not Stefano. Our history of player underachievement bears witness to this. Players get here, see the absolute joke the club is, and lose heart. Not a good trait, but reality. Our club is poor top to bottom and good players don't want to be here. About time the club addresses the real issues.
Just my opinion

Skippa13, Jedi Tiger, Frullens and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tigersteve

•  

You guys may be right. I don't profess to know everything that's for sure but I'm on my own in this one. Sure, I don't like his attitude of taking off and not wanting to tough it out and his output this year has not been up to his price tag. All agreed.
But....
Just like Talau, Blore, Aloiai, Liddle, Brooks, (there's probably more) I believe he will go elsewhere and become the prop we were paying him to be. We are the ultimate problem, not Stefano. Our history of player underachievement bears witness to this. Players get here, see the absolute joke the club is, and lose heart. Not a good trait, but reality. Our club is poor top to bottom and good players don't want to be here. About time the club addresses the real issues.
Just my opinion

I agree, mate. 

But...what are the real issues?

We have overturned just about everything and continue to do so.

The attitude of the senior playing group stinks, we have overspent on players who have regressed big time and look to be slowly getting rid of them but who would come here to replace them? There are no replacements around. It is great to have a war chest but it means nothing if you end up having to spend overs (again) to get average players with nowhere else to go. 

Not having a go at you Steve, just incredibly frustrated.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

Posted by: @canberratiger

•  

But....
Just my opinion

I agree, mate. 

The attitude of the senior playing group stinks, we have overspent on players who have regressed big time and look to be slowly getting rid of them but who would come here to replace them? There are no replacements around. It is great to have a war chest but it means nothing if you end up having to spend overs (again) to get average players with nowhere else to go. 

The real issue in my opinion is we don't set and expect high standards and excellence right across the organisation. I don't believe we are seeing any evidence this is changing ... yet. We accept mediocrity in all that we do. The whole organisation feeds off this culture. 

Sadly we are still suffering from the hangover of the previous administration and will for some time. Next 12 months will determine whether the new administration can make a difference but the reality is last year we had a SOO front rower wanting to be captain, today he walks out the door as an underachieving player.

ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Stephano TANKED and has been for months which in part has lead where the club is on the ladder… this guy is as bad as Moses and should be treated as such from today .. 

Tiger_Alex, TigerTon, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mattvtiger)
Junior Pathways

•  

But....
Just my opinion

I agree, mate. 

The real issue in my opinion is we don't set and expect high standards and excellence right across the organisation. I don't believe we are seeing any evidence this is changing ... yet. We accept mediocrity in all that we do. The whole organisation feeds off this culture. 

Sadly we are still suffering from the hangover of the previous administration and will for some time. Next 12 months will determine whether the new administration can make a difference but the reality is last year we had a SOO front rower wanting to be captain, today he walks out the door as an underachieving player.

Agree about mediocrity and standards. 

And you can add Matt Eisenhuth, Luke Gardner (went to Panthers and are both premiership winners) to those list of players. 

The difference is these guys have elite players around them which bring them up.

We were relying on Brooks, Stefano and co to be those elite players for us. They are simply not. 

This is the problem. 

The club invested in players that weren't good enough and they were not ruthless enough to make the tough calls on players that were not living to those standards.

Papalii îs another example of this. An above average NRL player, who looked incredible running off Moses at Parra. Bring him to the Tigers and he runs off Brooks and he looks average at best. 

The club is not going to turn around unless they recruit elite players who can change the game on their own. Let's hope we have found that in Luai. 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Stef was a multi year loser at the Tigers. He has zero idea what a winning culture looks like and what is needed to sacrifice in order to achieve success. Hence why he wasn’t able to lift the club up and lead and also why he will likely perform to his potential at a club that has an established winning culture. Benji has an idea of what a winning culture looks like but he is so early in his career he may not last to establish it here. Richo definately knows what it looks like but he has only been here for less than a year. The dolphins did a wonderful job of recruiting a core group of senior leaders that established their culture and which they can build on. We need to do something similar and bring in a group of players who whilst maybe being past their peak performance can establish the right culture and teach the kids what being an NRL player is all about. Unfortunately that is a very very hard thing to organise. Richo will earn his pay if he is able to pull it off. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @Anonymous

@jedi-tiger at least woodsy captained us and loved the club

except whe he was heading to Dogs and tried to get him and tedesco over there as a group. 

he was fling when he left us Woodsie 

good luck to stef, at 650k he would have been a good deal 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Posted by: @Anonymous

@jedi-tiger at least woodsy captained us and loved the club

except whe he was heading to Dogs and tried to get him and tedesco over there as a group. 

he was fling when he left us Woodsie 

good luck to stef, at 650k he would have been a good deal 

Tedesco and Moses did the right thing leaving, Brooks did the wrong thing staying, and Woods ruined his career by leaving.

ReplyQuote
CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @mattvtiger

•  

But....
Just my opinion

I agree, mate. 

Agree about mediocrity and standards. 

And you can add Matt Eisenhuth, Luke Gardner (went to Panthers and are both premiership winners) to those list of players. 

The difference is these guys have elite players around them which bring them up.

We were relying on Brooks, Stefano and co to be those elite players for us. They are simply not. 

This is the problem. 

The club invested in players that weren't good enough and they were not ruthless enough to make the tough calls on players that were not living to those standards.

Papalii îs another example of this. An above average NRL player, who looked incredible running off Moses at Parra. Bring him to the Tigers and he runs off Brooks and he looks average at best. 

The club is not going to turn around unless they recruit elite players who can change the game on their own. Let's hope we have found that in Luai. 

I completely agree that the standards need to be raised. However, when those standards are set, and senior players, like Adam Doueihi (by his own admission), don't seem to care, they become meaningless. Stef was supposed to help facilitate that change, but he failed. We need players who will meet these standards, but the options are very limited.

I realise I'm repeating myself, but there are several issues at play: an inexperienced coach, poor senior leadership, the current NRL climate (a lack of players, players wanting to join big teams, media influence), and unfortunately, the timing of all these problems aligning for the Tigers. Turning things around will take a long time. I believe the way out is through the senior leadership group, but losing Stef has made the process even longer.

TigerSteve reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Unfortunately when our past coaches have tried to set a standard, the players start walking on eggshells. 

TigerSteve, Joel Helmes, Mike and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Anyone else think the managers of Pole, Sione etc might’ve been waiting to see what Stef did before signing extension? Gives them some leverage now I’d say. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

I am relieved that Stef is moving on.  The thought of him being here for another 5 years at $800k was a big worry. His form has been poor. Good luck to the big fella.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

So Stef's gone early, Bateman's gone early, Ice has gone early, Farah's gone early, Galvin seems to be here for the short term and the club is staring at a third consecutive wooden spoon with a current points differential of -219. Can somebody please give me some hope for the future, particularly if Marshall is retained as head coach? Anybody? 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@canberratiger Your comment is a great summary of where WT find themselves right now.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

•  

But....
Just my opinion

only Woods has really.gone backwards since leaving everyone else kicks on

ReplyQuote
Page 1007 / 1066
Share: