Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @tgrzmn

Just watched a replay of NRL360 and their first 5 to 10 minutes were all about Bateman, Stef, Ice and Luai. Lots of negative speculation about why players are leaving and what JL must be thinking about coming. The club in general was also under fire. 

We are a media laughing stock.

For the most part well deserved. We haven't finished in the first half of the comp for 13 years.

ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

Posted by: @tgrzmn

Just watched a replay of NRL360 and their first 5 to 10 minutes were all about Bateman, Stef, Ice and Luai. Lots of negative speculation about why players are leaving and what JL must be thinking about coming. The club in general was also under fire. 

We are a media laughing stock.

I saw this as well. Usually this stuff fires me up but if we are objective, nothing they said was outrageously incorrect. Overly emotive for sure, but at its core - truth

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @tiger-symmetry

@tiger5150 Couldn’t agree more on your Twal observations.A pity the concussions have conspired against his continuity,but always of benefit to look beyond the raw statistics which can often deceive and be somewhat misleading.

Why are his stats misleading? I've watched him all year and he's been really poor. Not targeting him solely, outside of Pole all our middles have been terrible.

Im not actually arguing the case that you are wrong at all, but one point I would make that would not be picked up by stats, is that IMO Twal (and Seyfarth for that matter) are often the ones that when we are fatigued and getting belted and dominated and struggling to get out of our own end and our own way, Twal (and Seyfarth) seem to be the ones that occassionally stand up and make a good run to break the pressure slightly. Again, as per my original post, Twal with some subtle footwork. he did this last weekend.

Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @Anonymous

Posted by: @helmesy

@helmesy surely we can’t win financially as 1.5 though??

He’s reportedly on $750,000 per year. We have to get that deal off the books asap.

but if the wolves get him for the next two years it won’t be for 750K, more like 450-500 am I right?

I think you would be very surprised. The salary cap in ESL is only AUD $4.1M for the whole squad with a few dispensations such as ...

1. Two marquee players that their salary only counts as $300K. Does Warrington have any marquees already?

2. Club developed - Nope for Warrington & Bateman

then there a few minor dispensations for small amounts that wouldnt relate to Bateman. IMO Warrington would not be able to pay him anything like his Aussie salary. No way they commit 1/10th of their cap to him.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@tiger5150 I agree with you 100%. Can't question Twal's or Seyfarth's commitment at all.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldogs-enter-utoikamanu-race-as-richardson-says-bateman-move-creates-war-chest-20240724-p5jw78.html

I like Richo's comments in this piece. Going to be a fair bit of horse trading over the summer break. 

Joel Helmes and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @dirty-reds

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldogs-enter-utoikamanu-race-as-richardson-says-bateman-move-creates-war-chest-20240724-p5jw78.html

I like Richo's comments in this piece. Going to be a fair bit of horse trading over the summer break. 

Its a good place to be - $ and spots.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

IMG 4077

Young Kiwi backrower Tigers bound

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

-- attachment is not available --

Young Kiwi backrower Tigers bound

although this sounds like a good signing, talented youngsters isn’t really what we need 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @dirty-reds

Bulldogs enter Utoikamanu race as Richardson says Bateman move creates ‘war chest’

Adam Pengilly
ByAdam Pengilly
July 24, 2024 — 3.40pm

Listen to this article

The Bulldogs have made an 11th-hour pitch to land Stefano Utoikamanu as Wests Tigers boss Shane Richardson defended the club’s decision to let John Bateman leave for the rest of the year to England, claiming the wooden spoon favourites have to build “a war chest”.

Utoikamanu, who flew to Melbourne earlier this week to inspect the Storm’s facilities and speak to Craig Bellamy, is now weighing up interest from the rapidly improving Canterbury as he prepares to decide on his future.

Origin rivals share heartfelt embrace

0:17

COVID outbreak won't halt preparation

Reece Walsh and Joseph Suaalii share a heartfelt embrace after Origin III.

That call is likely to wait for another weekend after the former State of Origin prop flew out of Sydney on Wednesday for the Tigers’ clash with the Warriors on Friday, with his current club tabling a $4 million, five-year deal to keep him at Concord.

Melbourne have expressed an interest in swapping Utoikamanu and New Zealand international Nelson Asofa-Solomona, but the sweepstakes for one of the game’s best young props now includes the Bulldogs, who have been watching the situation closely.

Utoikamanu, 24, shares an agent with Bulldogs-bound back-rower Sitili Tupouniua, who this month confirmed he would be leaving the Roosters to join Cameron Ciraldo’s revolution at Belmore. Utoikamanau has already met with Bulldogs officials, who have expressed interest in the hulking prop.

Utoikamanu triggered a clause to become a free agent when he failed to play two Origin matches this year. The second option to keep him at the Tigers was for the club to make the finals in 2024.

Wests Tigers prop Stefano Utoikamanu.

Wests Tigers prop Stefano Utoikamanu.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

Benji Marshall’s side is out of top-eight contention and trying to fight off a third straight wooden spoon.

The Tigers’ roster overhaul has now extended to Bateman, who is poised to join Sam Burgess’ Warrington in their quest for a Super League title.

Burgess phoned Richardson earlier this week – the pair have a long relationship from their time at South Sydney – and asked if they would consider releasing the English international for the rest of the season.

Bateman’s exit will free up a further $150,000 in the Tigers’ salary cap, with Richardson and Marshall already having more than $1 million to spend next season. It will be close to $2 million if Utoikamanu doesn’t take up the Tigers’ deal.

Asked about releasing Bateman for the rest of the year, Richardson said: “It’s a very simple scenario: we’re building up a war chest. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

“This decision has been made with the full agreement of John and his management. I’ve been working on this cap and this roster ever since round six or seven. We know what we need and it’s not a dramatic amount.

RELATED ARTICLE

“You keep pouring into the bucket and then something pops out. Greg Inglis has popped out in the past for me, Ben Te’o popped out around Christmas and so did Jaydn Su’A. Clubs get in trouble with their cap. You have to take your time.”

Bateman and the Tigers are expected to reassess his future at the end of the season. The 30-year-old is contracted in the NRL for another two years.

Panthers pair Jarome Luai and Sunia Turuva will join the Tigers next year.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Assuming comments from Richardson are correct, I fear that Richardson is more about regaining some status as a CEO of influence, more so than he is about the future of WT. I really don't care about what he sees as previous successes. After coming from obscurity to land the CEO job at WT, his long-term reputation won't be built on what he has done in the past, it will be defined by how he takes this club forward. Progress thus far?? Minimal, at best.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

@helmesy surely we can’t win financially as 1.5 though??

He’s reportedly on $750,000 per year. We have to get that deal off the books asap.

but if the wolves get him for the next two years it won’t be for 750K, more like 450-500 am I right?

If we need to contribute $300 a year to get rid of him, it's worth it. I'm even more concerned about Klemmer given he's on $800k+, and Twal who is here until end of 27. They are really bad contracts.

just one after the other… pretty sad state of affairs. 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @mercy-rule

Assuming comments from Richardson are correct, I fear that Richardson is more about regaining some status as a CEO of influence, more so than he is about the future of WT. I really don't care about what he sees as previous successes. After coming from obscurity to land the CEO job at WT, his long-term reputation won't be built on what he has done in the past, it will be defined by how he takes this club forward. Progress thus far?? Minimal, at best.

I'm willing to give him time because he's had success everywhere he's been, but I agree to date he's not really done much. The next 6 months are going to be do or die.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

you can't polish a turd ...

God help us

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

you can't polish a turd ...

God help us

you've tried? I think you need more than religion.

ReplyQuote
Page 1001 / 1046
Share: