Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Home ground Thread

Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

I was expecting more games at CommBank than is in the plan.

I don't see any other alternative than CommBank when looking at the major stadiums.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @mercy-rule

Posted by: @tiger5150

All of that is baked in the cake, however what none of us really know is the behind the scenes details. Exactly how many corporates can you get in and for how much $$$, how much does it cost to play at CommBank/Allianz/Accor/LO/CSS? How many members have a LO or CSS only membership? Which/how many sponsors are wedded to a ground.

Yep, and we still don't know any of those answers despite the decisions of the club in the "home" ground allocation for the next 3 years.

Most of it would be commercial in confidence, its not for the members to know.

I think your point is that we just trust Richardson? That's a big call IMO.

The alternative? Ive seen a few here express their legitimate opinion that this decision and the club is "stuck in the past".........or Richo looked at all the numbers, options and all the parameters, and this is the best option?

I haven't renewed multiple platinum memberships for the last 2 seasons, and I won't be in the foreseeable future after this decision. I don't want to be part of the Eels' desperate poor cousin crap.

There you go, you have exercised your choice, that will all be part of the consideration for Richo and the club obviously.

This post was modified 2 days ago by Tiger5150

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

you might find some fans who don't like watching at Parramatta Stadium  might mean bigger crowds flock to CSS and LO for thst "home" game feel 

Yeh, or you might find fans that have had a gutful of the decisions of WT leaders and stop going to games altogether. 

if we had gone all in at Parramatta Stadium I would have chucked in my membership i have had for 25 years 

it is an opponents home ground in an opponents suburb, will never be home and to make it worse we will probably play said team at "home" in 2025...

Tigers v Parramatta better be Magic Round

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

This decision locks in 3 distinct sub groups of supporters. My guess is that max 25% of people cross over between LO and CSS games. At least at a big stadium we would have been forced to merge as supporters. Now we can continue our balkanised groups, wear our Phillips and Victor replica jerseys as wonder why we never progress as a club.

Joel Helmes, Mercy Rule, Mike and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@tiger5150 I will give you my opinion the 2 outdated grounds are bleeding the club financially this is why external money is required .. Comm bank will be paying .. magic round or rounds? Will be paying .. probable members at Comm bank will again be screwed over to attend the Parra match at Accor .It makes no sense if CSS and Leichhardt are profitable why would you not just split all games at those two grounds . It’s ironic that the larger stadiums no one likes could be the financial lifeline for the club ! Why go to all the hassle of  5 or 6 home grounds if it’s not financial it’s not logical ! 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Given that WT leaders expect fans/members to travel to three different grounds for "home" games in Sydney (plus NZ, regional NSW, Magic Round), why not just simplify it and make Perth the "home" games and let the diehard fans travel to multiple grounds when they play "away" games in Sydney etc? Ditch it, scrap it and start again in WA. 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @snake

@tiger5150 I will give you my opinion the 2 outdated grounds are bleeding the club financially this is why external money is required

Thats just like your opinion man.....Genuinely respect your opinion and like everyone here I also have an opinion. My point I am making here (to the extent I have a point) is nothing to do with opinions, yours or mine. Two different management regimes now have conducted an investigation into the best strategy for this club with regards to home grounds. One of those two management regimes IMO had no credibility but did conduct the analysis, the second management regime has the highest reputation for turning around clubs in the NRL, has zero attachment or sentimentality to the traditional grounds or the old way of doing things, in fact Richo quite clearly made a big song and dance that he was going to do things his way, make "tough decisions" and "upset people". BOTH of these regimes, once they got in there and actually looked at the figures and all the parameters made the same decision.

That is starting to take it out of the realm of "opinion". To me that is starting to look that on an purely analytical basis, cold data, this si the best option for the club.

On what basis do you say the 2 outdated grounds are bleeding the club financially? How much does it cost the club to play there? What share of the gate does the club get? What share of the concessions/food/drink does the club get? What new deal did the club get with Inner West Council as part of the deal to agree to play there to get the $40M? i dont know any of these answers, neither do you, but do you know who does? Shane Richardson.

.. Comm bank will be paying .. magic round or rounds? Will be paying .. probable members at Comm bank will again be screwed over to attend the Parra match at Accor

How much does Comm Bank Pay? What share of the concessions/food/drink does the club get? What will be the member churn as a result of Commbank? What is the "break even" crowd at CommBank? I dont know, you dont know, Richo knows.

.It makes no sense if CSS and Leichhardt are profitable why would you not just split all games at those two grounds .

Because they only hold 16K? Some games are never going t draw 16K, some games will.

It’s ironic that the larger stadiums no one likes could be the financial lifeline for the club !

Are larger stadia financial lifelines if the crowd is 7K?

Why go to all the hassle of  5 or 6 home grounds if it’s not financial it’s not logical ! 

What makes you think its not?

Dirty Reds reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

A real missed opportunity here to shape the direction of the club but we remain stuck in the past. We are still not one club, it seems the factions are still in play. I understand this is an extremely difficult policy for the club but catering to factions shows no vision.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @eastiemagpie

A real missed opportunity here to shape the direction of the club but we remain stuck in the past. We are still not one club, it seems the factions are still in play. I understand this is an extremely difficult policy for the club but catering to factions shows no vision.

I genuinely dont understand the logic or what you are saying. Im assuming you mean to be "one club" we need one home ground. Does that mean we abandon the south west? Do we play all our games out of CSS?

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Best case long term is the club finds a way to get a major upgrade to CSS and we replace the Commbank games with CSS games. A major upgrade to the western stand to cater to corporates and expand the capacity to 25k would do it but you probably need $200m to get that. Can’t see it happening in the next decade so until then we are stuck with this mix to cater for the expanding corporate needs.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

I’d love to know how Richo views the Tigers’ future at Campbelltown. I can understand the current strategy, playing the 4 at CommBank (which I think is the perfect prototype for an elite suburban footy/entertainment venue) for financial reasons but not really knowing what will happen post 2027 is strange. I wonder if there is a plan already? I have been working a lot last few weeks in the Campbelltown MacArthur region and am astounded how big it is. I looked today and the population is over 300,000 yet I do not know of any major sporting/entertainment venue besides Campbelltown Stadium & Campbelltown Catholic Club, bugga all really. Every other community that has a football team is in close vicinity to these types of venues or, at least in the case of the Sharks, beaches. The Tigers are putting emphasis on developing players now & many of these live in the Liverpool to MacArthur region, surely they would feel a greater connection to a club that centralised itself in that community. The Tigers have just opened an office in the area & are trying to establish a real connection through the Empower program but what about the football team? What about pushing for funding for a major sporting/entertainment facility that not only they can use but can also be used for other sports, for concerts & events of that nature. In my mind the people of that area deserve it.

ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@russtutty63 That area is a safe ALP area, need to be like Penrith a swing seat then you end up getting the world the old pork barrelling . I admit a major upgrade to that ground would add something to that area . Unfortunately another stadium needs massive amounts spent on it first Accor needs to be turned into a rectangular arena !

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

@russtutty63 That area is a safe ALP area, need to be like Penrith a swing seat then you end up getting the world the old pork barrelling . I admit a major upgrade to that ground would add something to that area . Unfortunately another stadium needs massive amounts spent on it first Accor needs to be turned into a rectangular arena !

over a decade given population growth it could definitely turn into a swing seat. The other thing you need to get a big upgrade is success on the field to demonstrate you need more crowd capacity ie see North Queensland and Penrith successfully getting money after they win the premiership

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

I genuinely dont understand the logic or what you are saying. Im assuming you mean to be "one club" we need one home ground. Does that mean we abandon the south west? Do we play all our games out of CSS?

There has been a lot of talk from the club about looking after sponsors and fans and to play at stadiums with good facilities. Both CSS and LO have been criticised as not meeting the standards expected from the club. So I was expecting some new policy on where we play but this policy is almost the same as what we have now with the exception of not playing a game at Tamworth.

I can’t see how this policy will better pamper the sponsors. I thought an 8,2,2 split was where the club was going but there may have been pressure to have more games as CSS and LO.

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I totally agree with the idea that to be "one club" we need one home ground. Why is that contentious?

ReplyQuote
Page 146 / 147
Share: