Topic starter  

Posted by: @mike

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

People can pontificate their thoughts with what ever evidence they can gather to support their biases.....this season, fans will have 10 opportunities to vote with their bum on a seat. Lets see what the fans say.

if LO gets good attendances it will be difficult to leave out.

Not when it falls apart and/or someone gets seriously injured. It’s only a matter of time unless funding is found to revamp it. 

The eighth wonder it will be sweet, they get good crowds even when the team is going bad and they charge $50 GA to sit on the hill, due to the fact LO is an event stadium and people like going there. 

if it wasn't popular it wouldn't get the crowds it does. 

I wouldn't hold my breath for an upgrade of either stadium tbh

The Council has been lucky there hasn’t been a serious injury to date. The clock is ticking…

Genuinely dont get that. The place is old but I genuinely don't know of any areas that are potentially dangerous. Yes of course there was that accident a year or so ago, but that was a school match and they were in an area where fans are not allowed at NRL games.

Where is it dangerous at LO? Genuine question Mike, do you go to LO?

I go to every Wests Tigers game there. The whole ground is an old design. There are several crowd control fences that are just not up to standard, one collapsed last year and the Council was lucky serious injuries did not occur. The Barnes stand is made of wood, it wouldn’t take much to have an issue there. The hill in the wet is just an accident waiting to happen. It’s only a matter of time, not if but when. 

LO is still my favourite sporting venue.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @garry

People can pontificate their thoughts with what ever evidence they can gather to support their biases.....this season, fans will have 10 opportunities to vote with their bum on a seat. Lets see what the fans say.

Not when it falls apart and/or someone gets seriously injured. It’s only a matter of time unless funding is found to revamp it. 

The eighth wonder it will be sweet, they get good crowds even when the team is going bad and they charge $50 GA to sit on the hill, due to the fact LO is an event stadium and people like going there. 

The Council has been lucky there hasn’t been a serious injury to date. The clock is ticking…

Genuinely dont get that. The place is old but I genuinely don't know of any areas that are potentially dangerous. Yes of course there was that accident a year or so ago, but that was a school match and they were in an area where fans are not allowed at NRL games.

I go to every Wests Tigers game there. The whole ground is an old design. There are several crowd control fences that are just not up to standard, one collapsed last year and the Council was lucky serious injuries did not occur. The Barnes stand is made of wood, it wouldn’t take much to have an issue there. The hill in the wet is just an accident waiting to happen. It’s only a matter of time, not if but when. 

CSS is good too 

but there is something special about a packed LO

Remembering 2005 LO game against Souths house full sign

The glory days of the wests tigers might just be returning 🙂

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Our issue is that we have been governed by committee, which shied away from making the tough decisions.

Richo, will make a hard and long term call on the home grounds.

I dont know what it will be but he's already made clear that the Macartur region is critical for our future.

Top 8 2023

TigerTownSFS and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Because you have good seats, as do I. Others are not so lucky. 

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

At 15k Max capacity - the majority of WT fans won't be able to get a seat at all, once we are actually making the finals.

Top 8 2023

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

An awful lot of people really love the hill, I don't get the attraction myself but most aren't sitting there because it is cheaper.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

The Barnes stand was completely refurbished less than 10 years ago and made safe. Which of the crowd control fences are not up to standard?

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

An awful lot of people really love the hill, I don't get the attraction myself but most aren't sitting there because it is cheaper.

Exactly, most people are at LO on the Hill BECAUSE it has a hill. you have to spend some time there to understand why they are there. Its an occasion. More hipster than rusted on fan, definitely an inner west thing and the discomfort is part of the reason (I have valued seats in front of Latchem Robinson). The hill at Leichhardt is a step up from Henson Park.

Ive been at LO with 23K, 15K is fine.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

the supporters will vote with their feet so to speak, if LO is getting more crowd attendance than CSS they won't drop it entirely.  

No Sunday games it won't matter if we are running it will be packed 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

"If you want to get to the top it's no good doing a bit here and there and just hoping for the best," Richardson said. "You have to aim high and be prepared to make the decisions that are going to help you get there.

"And after four years we would have the opportunity to move back to Redfern Oval if the bid by [Souths Leagues club chairman] George Piggins on behalf of the club to try to get the ground redeveloped is successful. It wouldn't be built before then anyway."

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rabbitohs-in-shock-move-to-homebush-20050227-gdktih.html

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)

We can't commit to either LO or CSS in the medium/long term unless they get significant upgrades. 

I love both grounds for different reasons, but the general facilities for patrons are poor, and the corporate side of things is beyond a joke compared to the modern stadia. 

It's one thing for me to enjoy an afternoon at the footy with some mates with some beers and a bucket of chips, but I wouldn't really want to take my family (I've got two young kids) to either ground. CSS slightly better in that respect given the extra seating. 

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

"If you want to get to the top it's no good doing a bit here and there and just hoping for the best," Richardson said. "You have to aim high and be prepared to make the decisions that are going to help you get there.

"And after four years we would have the opportunity to move back to Redfern Oval if the bid by [Souths Leagues club chairman] George Piggins on behalf of the club to try to get the ground redeveloped is successful. It wouldn't be built before then anyway."

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rabbitohs-in-shock-move-to-homebush-20050227-gdktih.html

Very interested to see what Richo recommends. 

Both StGeorge and us have struggled by being faithful to the 2 suburban home grounds.

I think Richo could go with 8/9 CSS with plans for upgrades

and 3/4 at SFS for the bigger Sydney teams (Eels, South's, Dragons, Bulldogs)

Think Dragons should follow a similar approach just quietly WIN/SFS

Top 8 2023

TigerTownSFS reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

The Barnes stand was completely refurbished less than 10 years ago and made safe.

Please. It’s a stand from last century made out of wood. No refurbishing will make it safe by modern standards. 

As for the fences… all of them are inadequate. This was demonstrated clearly last year. 

Unfortunately, unless LO is revamped we will not be playing NRL games there much longer as it is clearly not fit for purpose. 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @frullens

Both StGeorge and us have struggled by being faithful to the 2 suburban home grounds.

SFS you lose all advantage against the big Sydney derbies (just like at commbank) may as well have stayed there for some games if that was the case. 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @frullens

SFS you lose all advantage against the big Sydney derbies (just like at commbank) may as well have stayed there for some games if that was the case. 

isn’t it a financial thing? play dragons with 30-40k people and keep the gate receipts. These mega derbies work up to 50k+ events like in Brisbane. Corporates want to be part of it and take their clients that support opposing team to event etc. then you play the next 8 games at CSS and lobby for investment. 

Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 107 / 148
Share: