Round 1 centres will be interesting

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @frullens

@garry was hoping to be watching the world cup - but next year

Yeah I was disappointed when it was called off, should we set up an International Rugby League section?

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

I never saw Roberts run hard and hit a hole. He always got the ball flat footed and then did a nofa and run across field.

Not sure if that was Roberts fault or our halves? Must admit, Laurie seemed to get the ball a lot of a play, where there want the numbers, nothing was on and he had to just drop to ground. So maybe it was the halves?

If Hastings is 103kg - then hopefully he can run more to the line, straighten us up and allow us to strip the numbers more

Running hard and hitting a hole has never been JTJ game. He is not a Lawrence type centre. JTJ at his peak utilised his key talent...speed. Watch any of his highlight reels, he gets the ball a long way from the defence and then simply burns them for speed.

Right now Im not sure if its a case of JTJ losing the speed, losing his "game" or our halves not having hte ability/knowledge/game plan to give him what he wants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuDQoeaS4sM

earl and Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @tiger5150

I never saw Roberts run hard and hit a hole. He always got the ball flat footed and then did a nofa and run across field.

Not sure if that was Roberts fault or our halves? Must admit, Laurie seemed to get the ball a lot of a play, where there want the numbers, nothing was on and he had to just drop to ground. So maybe it was the halves?

If Hastings is 103kg - then hopefully he can run more to the line, straighten us up and allow us to strip the numbers more

Running hard and hitting a hole has never been JTJ game. He is not a Lawrence type centre. JTJ at his peak utilised his key talent...speed. Watch any of his highlight reels, he gets the ball a long way from the defence and then simply burns them for speed.

Right now Im not sure if its a case of JTJ losing the speed, losing his "game" or our halves not having hte ability/knowledge/game plan to give him what he wants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuDQoeaS4sM

Roberts needs ball with distance between him and the defensive line and hopefully space between the opposition 2nd rower, Centre and Winger. In that situation he is deadly, he didn't get any ball in that situation last year.

Tiger5150 and Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

@garry I really hope he can make it happen. He seems to be slowly sliding out the back door (T&T Contract) but I give him credit for sticking at it. I'd love him to make it.

earl and Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

@garry I really hope he can make it happen. He seems to be slowly sliding out the back door (T&T Contract) but I give him credit for sticking at it. I'd love him to make it.

Yeah I have my doubt as well, but a Roberts at 90% of his best would be a huge asset to this team is really one of the key elements. So I get very wishful when thinking about him. I also like him.

Frullens and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

@garry yeah an international rugby league thread would be great.

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

@frullens International Rugby League – Wests Tigers Podcast Forum

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Posted by: @garry

Yeah I have my doubt as well, but a Roberts at 90% of his best would be a huge asset to this team is really one of the key elements. So I get very wishful when thinking about him. I also like him.

He deserves a lot of credit for sticking in there and playing for a contract.

You'd think he'd be offered a top 30 spot if he trains well,  given AD and Talau are both injured. 

If they weren't considering top30 then why ask him to do T&T

Top 8 2023

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @garry

He deserves a lot of credit for sticking in there and playing for a contract.

You'd think he'd be offered a top 30 spot if he trains well,  given AD and Talau are both injured. 

If they weren't considering top30 then why ask him to do T&T

I think he will get one.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Harvey
(@harvey)
Junior Pathways

I have high hopes for Kepoa. Thought he looked good in the centres but not terrible on the wing. 

Like a lot of young players seems somewhat lazy in the little things (eg backin up). Hopefully he picks up and I think he can have a big future. 

I have a similar opinion of Talau. Both can be good, it is largely the mental side of the game that they need to improve. 

earl and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @helmesy

Kepaoa started the season on the wing and then played a single game at centre this year, where he held his own against veteran Dane Gagai. But an ACL injury in the same game against South Sydney cut his season short after just five games. With coach Michael Maguire’s other centre options Adam Doueihi and Tommy Talau also out with ACL injuries and set to miss a chunk of next season, Kepaoa is first in line for a starting spot alongside new recruit, Englishman Oliver Gildart. Kepaoa started his NRL career as a winger but David Nofoaluma and Ken Maumalo are the frontrunners to start on the edges.

removed link

I saw a replay of the souths game the other day. He wasnt really involved in the game all that much. Fans have celebrated his performance at centre but that was only because he didnt make handly errors that directly led to tries.

He's a big lump of a guy and has ability as a ball runner so I wont put a line through him as a centre just yet. My concern with AJ is that he doesnt seem to read the game very well. He's been out of position quite a few times in games.

Maybe we will know more after the trials.

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I actually think Junior Pauga still has development in him. A few glaring misses in defence cost him his place and I dont discount his weak defending however, when he debuted and took his first few carries I remember thinking "this guy looks comfortable with the ball in hand."

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unhappy-tiger)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

If AJ repeats his form from his last game that he was injured he is a definite keeper , obviously he is going to need time to get his game back to that level post ACL surgery 

Garry and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @unhappy-tiger

If AJ repeats his form from his last game that he was injured he is a definite keeper , obviously he is going to need time to get his game back to that level post ACL surgery 

I think the ACL injuries came at really bad times for both AJ and Tommy, in my mind they are both on the bubble and need to show improvement to justify their position in the squad. ACL injuries tend to take another 12 months after return to get back to pre injury levels of play. This really disadvantages both these guys in my opinion.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: