Share:
Notifications
Clear all

AJ Kapaoa named as a player to watch in 2022

(@unhappy-tiger)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @garry
Posted by: @unhappy-tiger

If AJ repeats his form from his last game that he was injured he is a definite keeper , obviously he is going to need time to get his game back to that level post ACL surgery 

I think the ACL injuries came at really bad times for both AJ and Tommy, in my mind they are both on the bubble and need to show improvement to justify their position in the squad. ACL injuries tend to take another 12 months after return to get back to pre injury levels of play. This really disadvantages both these guys in my opinion.

It was pretty clear to me in the 4 part series that Madge has a lot of time for Tommy Talau , probably a bit of a long term project for him  

Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unhappy-tiger)

Posted by: @tiger5150
Posted by: @frullens

I never saw Roberts run hard and hit a hole. He always got the ball flat footed and then did a nofa and run across field.

Not sure if that was Roberts fault or our halves? Must admit, Laurie seemed to get the ball a lot of a play, where there want the numbers, nothing was on and he had to just drop to ground. So maybe it was the halves?

If Hastings is 103kg - then hopefully he can run more to the line, straighten us up and allow us to strip the numbers more

Running hard and hitting a hole has never been JTJ game. He is not a Lawrence type centre. JTJ at his peak utilised his key talent...speed. Watch any of his highlight reels, he gets the ball a long way from the defence and then simply burns them for speed.

Right now Im not sure if its a case of JTJ losing the speed, losing his "game" or our halves not having hte ability/knowledge/game plan to give him what he wants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuDQoeaS4sM

It helps having a 6 or 7 that can a/ create a hole for a support runner and b/ put the ball in the hole for the support runner Our halves don't or can't do it consistantly 

Tiger5150 and TigerSteve reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

If AJ repeats his form from his last game that he was injured he is a definite keeper , obviously he is going to need time to get his game back to that level post ACL surgery 

I think the ACL injuries came at really bad times for both AJ and Tommy, in my mind they are both on the bubble and need to show improvement to justify their position in the squad. ACL injuries tend to take another 12 months after return to get back to pre injury levels of play. This really disadvantages both these guys in my opinion.

Good point Garry. Isn’t Talau off contract at end of 2022?

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

I never saw Roberts run hard and hit a hole. He always got the ball flat footed and then did a nofa and run across field.

Not sure if that was Roberts fault or our halves? Must admit, Laurie seemed to get the ball a lot of a play, where there want the numbers, nothing was on and he had to just drop to ground. So maybe it was the halves?

If Hastings is 103kg - then hopefully he can run more to the line, straighten us up and allow us to strip the numbers more

Running hard and hitting a hole has never been JTJ game. He is not a Lawrence type centre. JTJ at his peak utilised his key talent...speed. Watch any of his highlight reels, he gets the ball a long way from the defence and then simply burns them for speed.

Right now Im not sure if its a case of JTJ losing the speed, losing his "game" or our halves not having hte ability/knowledge/game plan to give him what he wants.

It helps having a 6 or 7 that can a/ create a hole for a support runner and b/ put the ball in the hole for the support runner Our halves don't or can't do it consistantly 

That is the biggest issue I have with AD at 6, he doesn't create the space for his outside men consistently enough. He did it really well against Brisbane, which just happened to be Laurie's best game as he was running into the space AD created. I really wanted him to work on that part of his game this off season.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@unhappy-tiger)

That is the biggest issue I have with AD at 6, he doesn't create the space for his outside men consistently enough. He did it really well against Brisbane, which just happened to be Laurie's best game as he was running into the space AD created. I really wanted him to work on that part of his game this off season.

Took a lot of wrong options ...why current players try and overcomplicate the game , quite regularly if AD simply catch ,draws and passes instead of going the cutout ball that many teams have read because he overuses it (be positive Unhappy)

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Took a lot of wrong options ...why current players try and overcomplicate the game , quite regularly if AD simply catch ,draws and passes instead of going the cutout ball that many teams have read because he overuses it (be positive Unhappy)

It would also strengthen his running game so much as it would get him one on one with the defender more often. I like AD but he does like the highlight play.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unhappy-tiger)

@garry 

Laurie needs to sit Douehi's back pocket in the red zone Just follow him everywehere like a bad smell and wait for the offload when he engages the line 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

@garry 

Laurie needs to sit Douehi's back pocket in the red zone Just follow him everywehere like a bad smell and wait for the offload when he engages the line 

Spot on mate, also hit the hole created off AD's shoulder when he straightens the line.

ReplyQuote
Geo
 Geo
(@geo-2)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Reports AJ Kepaoa has done his pec in training mishap.. OUT until round 12..

Big blow for the young fella..

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

shame about kepoa

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @geo-2

Reports AJ Kepaoa has done his pec in training mishap.. OUT until round 12..

Big blow for the young fella..

That hurts. Major setback. On the upside might benefit his ACL recovery though, having more time to strengthen. 

TigerSteve reacted
ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

NRL physio saying partial tear but required surgery. Round 6-10 return

ReplyQuote
(@kenny4517)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

He had a good chance to make the centre spot his own this year and there is a lot of competition now in the outside backs. A speedy recovery AJ.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @kenny4517

He had a good chance to make the centre spot his own this year and there is a lot of competition now in the outside backs. A speedy recovery AJ.

We just get weaker at centre. 

ReplyQuote
(@kenny4517)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

@garry we do get weaker but hopefully a young guy who can step up. 

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: