AJ Kapaoa named as ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

AJ Kapaoa named as a player to watch in 2022

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Kepaoa started the season on the wing and then played a single game at centre this year, where he held his own against veteran Dane Gagai. But an ACL injury in the same game against South Sydney cut his season short after just five games. With coach Michael Maguire’s other centre options Adam Doueihi and Tommy Talau also out with ACL injuries and set to miss a chunk of next season, Kepaoa is first in line for a starting spot alongside new recruit, Englishman Oliver Gildart. Kepaoa started his NRL career as a winger but David Nofoaluma and Ken Maumalo are the frontrunners to start on the edges.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2022-the-players-shaping-as-bolters-and-ready-to-impress-in-the-preseason/news-story/cc68b6a1cf210a49a33f5337f627e02f

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

I still have a lot of hope for AJ - hopefully the eye surgery helped his hands issue and hopefully centre is spot.

Top 8 2023

Unhappy Tiger and Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

@frullens He was looking good at Centre in his last game until he did his ACL

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

@garry what would you say is our strongest centre pairing if the squad is fully fit?

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

@frullens I think Doueihi is the best centre we have. I still have a glimmer of hope for Roberts, but think at this point it is probably Talau.

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

I agree AD is our best centre, but also think we miss out on a bit if he's stuck in the centre, such as his kicking game, leadership and ability to create something when we need it.

I'd prefer AD at 6, but the injury is such bad timing. If brooks/Hastings are playing so good they keep AD out of the halves then that would be awesome. If so, I don't mind the idea of moving AD to 13 and then peach to centre. Just think AD at 13 would create more and help with leadership across the park.

Top 8 2023

TigerSteve reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

I think we desperately need defensive centres this year. 

On that basis, Roberts is a no from me. Also Gildart looks like he needs to put on some muscle before he can step up.

So that would mean we would run with Talau and AJ.

If one gets injured, I'd be open to playing Garner at centre. I think Blore and Tauilagi are higher up the pecking order at 2nd row. Garner improved his defence this year and he cna run a line

Top 8 2023

Joel Helmes and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

@frullens I really think he needed this offseason training and working on his game at 6, the injury hurts him so much in that regard. I also want us to be successful next season and if we are running top 8 by the time he comes back I would think that Brooks and hastings have played a large role in that.

Joel Helmes and Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

@frullens The thought of Garner at centre just gave me nightmares for the next week lol

Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

I never saw Roberts run hard and hit a hole. He always got the ball flat footed and then did a nofa and run across field.

Not sure if that was Roberts fault or our halves? Must admit, Laurie seemed to get the ball a lot of a play, where there want the numbers, nothing was on and he had to just drop to ground. So maybe it was the halves?

If Hastings is 103kg - then hopefully he can run more to the line, straighten us up and allow us to strip the numbers more

Top 8 2023

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

@garry ha! Well Sheens is back in town. To be fair, garner at centre would let me sleep more soundly, than a Roberts and Gildart centre pairing

Top 8 2023

Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

@frullens I can't wait for the trials.

Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

@garry feels like it could be one of those years, where we get a couple of bolters coming out of nowhere. 

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @frullens

@garry feels like it could be one of those years, where we get a couple of bolters coming out of nowhere. 

I just love footy, miss going to games, even if we were losing lol

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

@garry was hoping to be watching the world cup - but next year

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: