Notifications
Clear all

2024 Laws and Interpretations

Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player
Topic starter  

The NRL has confirmed a change to Law and Interpretations ahead of the 2024 NRL Pre-Season and Premiership. 

The change is designed to incentivise more contests for the ball from set restarts.  

Contested Restarts
If a team kicks the ball out on the full over the touch line, or the ball fails to travel at least 10 metres forward in an attempt to contest a restart from the goal-line, 20m line, or half-way line, play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch, rather than with a penalty kick. The change will give more incentive for teams to attempt short kick-offs or drop-outs. 

“While relatively minor, this change will add to the unpredictability of the game,” NRL Executive General Manager – Elite Football Graham Annesley said. 

“Teams will no longer risk conceding significant territory as well as a penalty for attempting to regain possession from restarts of play. 

“We undertook a thorough review of the 2023 season, including consultation with the NRL Clubs, the RLPA and other stakeholders, and while there was a strong desire to keep changes to a minimum, this minor change will incentivise short kick-offs and drop-outs. 

“This will strongly accompany the Commission’s direction to enhance the existing rules, leading to a faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable game.” 

The change has been approved by the Commission and was communicated today to the NRL Clubs and Coaches. 

(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Personally hate it. Every drop out and kick off will be short now, it removes all risk. Will negate the short kicking game into ingoal because if you kick it dead you give away 7 tackles, if you get it right, you still only have a 50/50 chance of getting the ball back.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tiger5150

Personally hate it. Every drop out and kick off will be short now, it removes all risk. Will negate the short kicking game into ingoal because if you kick it dead you give away 7 tackles, if you get it right, you still only have a 50/50 chance of getting the ball back.

Yep, I agree. It will have a major impact on how the game is played. Very poor from Annesley. 

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Why the need to change things? The risk/reward was working well. A lot of drop outs were short already. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

Why the need to change things? The risk/reward was working well. A lot of drop outs were short already. 

I'm guessing that it is a safety change. Trying to minimise a forward running into a defensive line from 50 metres.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

Posted by: @garry

I'm guessing that it is a safety change. Trying to minimise a forward running into a defensive line from 50 metres.

if that’s the reason we are moving closer to playing oz tag

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

if that’s the reason we are moving closer to playing oz tag

The NFL has brought in rules to limit impact on kickoffs etc.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Topic starter  

I think this seriously changes the role of the fullback and wingers. There will be consequences to this change. 

ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

So, according to a comment by Annesley I read on SMH online, the decision of the referee will be based on their interpretation of whether the kick was intended to be contestable or not? Really?? From this motley crew of referees? Their interpretation?? What could possibly go wrong? 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

Posted by: @mercy-rule

So, according to a comment by Annesley I read on SMH online, the decision of the referee will be based on their interpretation of whether the kick was intended to be contestable or not? Really?? From this motley crew of referees? Their interpretation?? What could possibly go wrong? 

what’s the other option they are deliberately kicking it out? 

I’m assuming they are talking about mid length kicks of around 20 metres. This could get messy with interpretations, the rule needs to be black and white. Kick it out or not go the 10 play the ball. 

ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

Wow. That Annesley comment is scary. The whole officiating system is broken. Due to technology in officiating and broadcasting we now have officials scared to make a decision. We have a video ref system which has proven that technology does not equal consistency. We are too far down the road to turn back but the whole process needs rebuilding 

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Coaches always work out how to exploit rule changes before the refs or officials and I think this one will be glaring case. Defending teams will kick close to 10m and will catch it within the 10m rather than let it bounce inside 10m. No penalty, just give it to the attacking team and get the chance to set the defence.

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Does this new rule signal the demise of the sub 180cm winger or outside back? You’d have to think his task became a whole lot more difficult ,and in our case you’d have to think a taller order directly impacting Noffa.Would love to see him rise to the challenge but I feel time not on his side.Seems gone are the days of all shapes and sizes in NRL.
 Also was curious to know if the rule applies to all teams through all competitions?

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @tiger-symmetry

Does this new rule signal the demise of the sub 180cm winger or outside back? You’d have to think his task became a whole lot more difficult ,and in our case you’d have to think a taller order directly impacting Noffa.Would love to see him rise to the challenge but I feel time not on his side.Seems gone are the days of all shapes and sizes in NRL.
 Also was curious to know if the rule applies to all teams through all competitions?

Great point. I feel like this one hasnt really been thought through

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tiger-symmetry

I was thinking along those lines. Their roles will change and they will need to be able to out leap the opposition as a prime consideration. There will be some unintended consequences to the rule change. I doubt Annesley & co. have thought this through other than at the superficial level. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: