Share:
Notifications
Clear all

WT v Broncos Rd 8 2024

(@eastiemagpie)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

1) there was separation

2) the law as described by Annesley says you need to regain control which is discuss as being “grip”

3) grip cannot be determined by super slow mow tv camera from weird angle

4) this law is inconsistent with laws like grounding a grubber where downward pressure is deemed sufficient 

5) the law should either be changed to allow downward pressure explicitly as a try or the guidance to video ref needs to change to prevent them from overruling the onfield decision 

6) the video ref review of every try is a blight on the game. Bring in an extra captains challenge or two to take the howler out.

I disagree with point 1, but support your point 6. 

I think there is merit in an extra two captain’s challenges but the bunker can’t get involved in anything else except for foul play.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

6) the video ref review of every try is a blight on the game. Bring in an extra captains challenge or two to take the howler out.

This won’t take the howlers out of the game. A captain’s challenge is referred to the Bunker. The Bunker is actually creating the howlers now. A major rethink is needed. 

Mercy Rule reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

Posted by: @tiger5150

1) there was separation

2) the law as described by Annesley says you need to regain control which is discuss as being “grip”

This is simply not right. The law explicitly says "catch, hold, or grip".

and they have viewed the situation as Api not doing any of those 3 things. They are saying his hand caught up with the ball only 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

1) there was separation

and they have viewed the situation as Api not doing any of those 3 things. They are saying his hand caught up with the ball only 

Put simply, I think this is wrong. plain and simple I believe the bunker made an error and the Annesley explanation relies on the "grip" explanation to obfuscate for their error.

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

1) there was separation

Put simply, I think this is wrong. plain and simple I believe the bunker made an error and the Annesley explanation relies on the "grip" explanation to obfuscate for their error.

I’ve watched the Annesley think and I thought he was reasonably clear 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @mike

This won’t take the howlers out of the game. A captain’s challenge is referred to the Bunker. The Bunker is actually creating the howlers now. A major rethink is needed. 

the bunker can still make mistakes but by limiting the opportunity for them the be involved in every try it limits the opportunity for mistakes

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

the bunker can still make mistakes but by limiting the opportunity for them the be involved in every try it limits the opportunity for mistakes

but everyone complained when it was the other way because mistakes were made and the bunker wasn’t intervening. Refs were also sending a lot more tries up 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

but everyone complained when it was the other way because mistakes were made and the bunker wasn’t intervening. Refs were also sending a lot more tries up 

I think we’ve learnt from what has happened the past few years that the more review there is the more opportunities for bad decisions. A new framework needs be developed

LoganR21 and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

I think we’ve learnt from what has happened the past few years that the more review there is the more opportunities for bad decisions. A new framework needs be developed

I think the current system is best. I’m open to hear other ideas but I don’t think any kind of captains challenge around tries is the way to go. 

ReplyQuote
(@lorenzo)
Junior Pathways

I think the current system is best. I’m open to hear other ideas but I don’t think any kind of captains challenge around tries is the way to go. 

I have to agree, even though i still think that Api's try was legit i do understand why the bunker ruled the way it did. However this does also show up a worrying trend for the tigers whereby the "rub of the green" seems to go against us quite regularly, yes we do get the odd call go our way, but these seem to only be in non-critical moments. Earlier in the season Bula had a pass thrown to Olam for a try called forward, i would argue that we see those forward passes leading to trys at least 5 times per weekend and they are never called. The Walsh pass at the end of the first half is a good example, or the try last night for Turuva, Schneider threw it at least 2m forward. We very regularly get these call going against us at very critical times in a game and for a team that has collected the wooden spoon for 2 years in a row you would think the NRL would be mindful of trying to ensure this does not happen, however we seem to cop it regularly and not just by the refs, bye in week 1, playing the dogs who are coming off a bye and we have just played last years grand finalists back to back. Also a bye in the last week of the season so our players dont really get a break throughout the year. 4 day turnaround after playing parra at bankwest and then taking on the Dolphins in Brisbane. If i were a conspiracy theorist i would believe that the NRL are trying to either wind the team up or move them.

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

@lorenzo the big thing with the draw is that we have the bye in the first and last round. 

I can cop someone has to be in those rounds but no team should have both in one season. I’m unsure how this got passed everyone before it was released. 

Mike and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

@lorenzo the big thing with the draw is that we have the bye in the first and last round. 

I can cop someone has to be in those rounds but no team should have both in one season. I’m unsure how this got passed everyone before it was released. 

We play Parra last round.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

1) there was separation

We do you think he repeatedly used the word "Grip" despite the fact the rule says "catch, hold or grip"? What do you think his reasoning was?

What do you think Annesley meant when he said that "that has been a try forever in the past and will be again in the future?"

Annesley knows its a try and clung onto the grip thing to justify the decision.

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lorenzo)
Junior Pathways

We play Parra last round.

my mistake, second last round.

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

1) there was separation

We do you think he repeatedly used the word "Grip" despite the fact the rule says "catch, hold or grip"? What do you think his reasoning was?

What do you think Annesley meant when he said that "that has been a try forever in the past and will be again in the future?"

Annesley knows its a try and clung onto the grip thing to justify the decision.

disagree 

he was explaining that he had to grip the because he could catch or hold the ball in that situation. 

you’re only partially quoting him he said “people will say that has been a try…..” before explaining why the rule changed a few seasons ago. 

He generally admits when they get it wrong re:the non sin bin the week before. 

ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 14
Share: