Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Teamlist v Parramatta Eels Round 6

Skippa13
(@skippa13)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tiger5150

we are literally two halves/spine players away from challenging top 8 IMO, but without them we are chained to the spoon.

100% agree. That’s what is frustrating, watching the media and fans tear each other apart when really we aren’t far off imo. Each of our games this year we were let down by our playmakers. Swap just one of them with a Munster, turbo, Hynes, etc, even Moses and we win 3 of those games at least. We went all in on a strong forward pack recruitment drive but the reality is you need competent halves to win you matches.

ReplyQuote
Salty
(@salty)
Junior Pathways

I’m guessing the big body Kepaoa is on the wing to carry the ball out of our end with Tupou, considering the lighter Staines is at FB.

Can we hide Doueihi on the wing in defense, like Benji used to do.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @salty

I’m guessing the big body Kepaoa is on the wing to carry the ball out of our end with Tupou, considering the lighter Staines is at FB.

Can we hide Doueihi on the wing in defense, like Benji used to do.

Lets hide a 6'3" 100kg player on the wing in defence? Would prefer him to learn to tackle in reggies.

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

we are literally two halves/spine players away from challenging top 8 IMO, but without them we are chained to the spoon.

I don't disagree in theory, but I think we'd still be battling at the bottom with the way we're being coached at present, even if we threw in a semi-decent half and FB (say, Chad Townsend and Brimson).

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @dirty-reds

I don't disagree in theory, but I think we'd still be battling at the bottom with the way we're being coached at present, even if we threw in a semi-decent half and FB (say, Chad Townsend and Brimson).

Id kill for Townsend & Brimson, and IMO we would be pushing for 8.

WRT the coaching, I am worried about Sheens, but IMO this early in the season it is not possible to really pass judgement on him because the players aren't implementing anything properly anyway. Sheens isnt setting a game plan including Brooks passing it into AJ's face, kicking dead every set, dropping balls etc. If we were executing anything resembling a first grade game of rugba leeg and still getting the results then its on Sheens head but he isnt coaching our spine to play like this.

ReplyQuote
Crowsnest
(@crowsnest)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

We went all in on a strong forward pack recruitment drive but the reality is you need competent halves to win you matches.

I agree with this. 

I'll wear out this saying again, "the more you attack, the less defending you do"

It anoys me to see in most of our games that when it's lost they loosen up their mentality and play with confidence...throwing the ball wide with quick hands or darting up the middle. You then ask yourself, where has this been.

The team has to stop dropping their heads and start acting like winners. They are out of the game early, mentally. This attitude rubs off from one to another until the whole team drops the bundle. There is no excuse to start off great then go on to be belted 50+. 

The halves have to be more active in organizing the bodies in motion. Just hitting it up then putting in an average kick with poor chase really sucks.

They need to keep the defence wondering what your doing. I'm keen to see if Charlie will follow the ruck and backup line breaks.

Finally, we have to react to what's happening, who is the danger and shut it down. As far as D goes, the centres are underated in the modern game. They have to make quick decisions. Naden was missed against the ponies and I think his best is yet to come.

Naden, To'a, and Junior Tupou should develop into a handy backline which means we need a top winger and fullback. 

If the likes of J. Manu and J. Paulo were in our side atm, I don't think we would be talking about Luke and Adam as much.

I'm not advocating that our halves should stay but better outside backs would be good until we sort out the future of our halves and who can replace them. 🤔

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

This is going to sound very harsh, but I’m wondering if it would be beneficial for both us and Sheens if he were to go back to the UK and retire. I was extremely bullish on him coming back as coach but I’m very concerned he no longer has the capacity to coach at the NRL level.

I was happy with Sheens/Marshall succession plan, but now I am very concerned about Sheens in particular and then Marshall. I think we are so locked into this plan that if Sheens was pushed/fell on his sword it would only mean that Marshall gets promoted sooner and I dont think that improves things.

if this craziness continues and Sheens departs, I think the whole plan needs to be terminated. I can’t see how Benji would have learned anything worth remembering in the past 4 months.

Kenny4517, Mike and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Tigerstu
(@tigerstu)
Junior Pathways

Happy Nadan is back. Happier Staines at fullback. Would prefer AD to centre. But I've not suggestions on 6 and 7.... I feel we're totally lost and will struggle to win any games with the options we have. Twal offers little for me off the bench either. 

I'm hoping for another Easter miracle... But not expecting one. 

Skippa13 and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

This is going to sound very harsh, but I’m wondering if it would be beneficial for both us and Sheens if he were to go back to the UK and retire. I was extremely bullish on him coming back as coach but I’m very concerned he no longer has the capacity to coach at the NRL level.

I was happy with Sheens/Marshall succession plan, but now I am very concerned about Sheens in particular and then Marshall. I think we are so locked into this plan that if Sheens was pushed/fell on his sword it would only mean that Marshall gets promoted sooner and I dont think that improves things.

if this craziness continues and Sheens departs, I think the whole plan needs to be terminated. I can’t see how Benji would have learned anything worth remembering in the past 4 months.

As Ive said in the democracy manifest thread, replacing Sheens with a Flanagan or whoever isnt going to fix it. It needs a new system. When they replaced Madge with Sheens I was naturally nervous that Sheens had been out of the NRL too long and too old but what I was impressed with was the structure and plan. Coaching development the same as player development rather than relying on begging a Ciraldo etc every 2-4 years.

After 5 rounds its looking bleak which is opening other wounds. As Ive said in that other thread. Sacking this bloke, or that bloke isnt going to fix it. It needs a purpose built systemic restructure throughout the whole organisation. Steves KPMG independent review idea is a good start.

Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tigerstu

Happy Nadan is back. Happier Staines at fullback. Would prefer AD to centre. But I've not suggestions on 6 and 7.... I feel we're totally lost and will struggle to win any games with the options we have. Twal offers little for me off the bench either. 

I don't think Staines is a fullback, but he is probably the best option we have in the squad atm.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Peter A and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @garry

I don't think Staines is a fullback, but he is probably the best option we have in the squad atm.

Second best fullback in the club apparently.

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

I was fairly vocal about not sacking Madge. 

Not bc I thought he was the best tactical coach, but because I didn't like the idea of sacking him and rolling the coaching dice and starting all over again. 

I thought we could address madges weaknesses with quality assistant coaches and sheens at GM and then train Gardiner up to take over as head coach.

Although we weren't winning, we were showing a lot of grit - going througha lot of injuries. And I thought the addition of api and ice would of got us to competing around 8th spot. Madge would of made hastings 7 and moved Brooks to knights if sheens didn't stop him.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Frullens

Top 8 2023

Kenny4517, LoganR21, Mike and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @frullens

I was fairly vocal about not sacking Madge. 

Not bc I thought he was the best tactical coach, but because I didn't like the idea of sacking him and rolling the coaching dice and starting all over again. 

I thought we could address madges weaknesses with quality assistant coaches and sheens at GM and then train Gardiner up to take over as head coach.

Although we weren't winning, we were showing a lot of grit - going througha lot of injuries. And I thought the addition of api and ice would of got us to competing around 8th spot. Madge would of made hastings 7 and moved Brooks to knights if sheens didn't stop him.

I disagreed with most of this, but history isnt on my side. Hastings would have helped this year, but would need to go anyway.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Asu on the wing? He’s been one of our better players in the forwards and at centre. To’a at centre not so much. Do we not have another winger after letting big Ken go? Crazy decision on all counts IMO. 

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @garry

Staines ‘The best fullback at the club’?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: